“Hotel is nice, staff is not!”

County Inn and Suites Long Island City
Ranked #28 of 34 Hotels in Long Island City
Reviewed 15 September 2011

We stayed at this hotel for one week in august and really enjoyed our stay! The location was perfect for us, just 10-15 minutes from Time's Square and Central Station with the 7 train. We paid half of what similar hotels on manahattan would charge and it was defenitely worth the 10 minute metro ride.

Breakfast was hectic around 8, but there was only one day that we couldn't find a table straight away (went back to have a shower and got back 30 min later when it was quiet). Cereals, waffles, eggs/sausage, yogurt, porridge, bagles, bread, donughts was available as well as hot/cold drinks. Best thing, it's included :-) but 2 mornings we went out for breakfast, my tip is Clinton Street Baking Company, it's amazing!!

Our room was located at the end of the corridor but we could still hear the lift, so I cant imagine what it would be to sleep next to it! Spacious room, large bed, tv and free internet. The only thing i missed was a safety box.

Staff is not friendly at all and barely say hello, but we didnt mind as we didnt spend much time here anyway...

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the lift!!
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Tina M, Guest Relations Manager at County Inn and Suites Long Island City, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Thank you for sharing your experience. We appreciate the insight regarding our staff and bed. We hope to see you again to provide you with an exceptional level of service and hospitality.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,884)

Reviewed 13 September 2011

Hello,
Some of you may have noticed I mainly provide reviews regarding Hotels located in the NYC area.
This time I have been forced to find a new hotel as there were no vacancies in any of the good hotels I have been staying in the past. I have found the Country Inns and decided to stay in there as conveniently located just 250 meters far away from Queensboro Plaza metro station.
To keep it short, the hotel is very clean and just 2 years old.
Beds are big and have great mattresses, TVs are LCD 32 inches, toilette very nice. If you register t Carlson site and get your fidelity card, you will get free Internet for free.
Personnel in the reception could be a little more friendly or smile sometime, however this would be just a plus and it is their managers' duty to work it out with their staffs.
I see a lot of talking about the breakfast, and in fact I am very surprised about the good rates regarding this point. I have found a chair free just one time during the 4 days I have stayed in this hotel, but this is not the main issue.
The issue is to find only bagels and small butter and marmalade as options... some sliced bread and that is it. The machine making waffles! YEAH, nice toy, cooking the stuff not properly and really not such a good deal, I believe... I am not finding a plus to have to try to make a waffle, probably under or overcooking it! So, breakfast offers no variety, far from being exciting and no place where to seat! NYC is plenty of diners, so I have preferred to have breakfast in other places. If you want a hint and you like food, take the Q or N train going to Ditmars direction and have a breakfast or brunch at Neptune, right at the Astoria Boulevard metro station.
Finally, a good rate and congratulations to this newborn hotel, inviting the to re-orgnize from scratch the breakfast matter, allowing guests to have a better experience and TripAdvisor members to give a higher rate.

Room Tip: Rooms right on the side of the elevators are bigger but you can get disturbed by the noise coming f...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo

Know that your voice is of tremendous importance to us and we value your comments about our area and rate. I hope you will return to enjoy a memorable and exceptional experience.

Reviewed 12 September 2011

We spent a lot of time on the internet trying to find a hotel for our stay in NYC. Most of the Manhattan hotels were just too expensive and offered small rooms and no breakfast. That is why we decided to book the Country Inn & Suites, because it offered breakfast, larger rooms and a very good train connection into Manhattan. The train station was only a three minute walk away. The staff was very friendly. The breakfast was a little crowded in the mornings because there were not enough seats. We simply got some food and took it with us into our room which was on the same floor. There are a couple of fast food places around and a gas station that offers snacks and drinks. I would recommend staying at this hotel, especially if an inexpensive alternative to Manhattan is requested.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mary0128

We appreciate that you've taken the time to share with us regarding our staff and breakfast. Your feedback will help us to grow and evolve and I thank you again for taking the time to rate your experience.

Reviewed 2 September 2011

Metro is a few minutes walk, then you are in 15 minutes in manhattan. Rooms are clean and nice. Breakfast room is very small, so sometimes crowded but there is enough. Else take the food and drinks to your room. We stayed here 6 nights and would stay here again!

Reviewed 30 August 2011

We booked 2 rooms online, specifying 2 adults and 1 child per room. On arrival in the room - and after we had already handed over our credit card by way of confirming payment - we found that both rooms contained just ONE double bed. Assuming there must be a sofa bed, we went down to reception to check. Then the problems really started!! Each room DID have just one bed and the manager, Shikha Bhatia, simply could not see what the problem was. She considered it OK for our children to share our bed!! In our case, that meant one teenager sharing our bed - and the other child (aged 12) sharing with her grandparents in the other room. Absolutely deplorable. We specifically entered the numbers etc of people at the time of booking, and our booking was accepted and confirmed for 6 people in 2 rooms. I expected us all to have a bed. The vile, rude manager just shrugged her shoulders tried to ignore us, saying the hotel was full anyway.The result? My husband slept in a chair for 3 nights whilst I shared with our daughters and my ageing parents had their own room. NYC is busy in August and we could not quickly find an alternate hotel; in any case, they already had our money!!!!! The manager is a disgrace to the Carlson brand (see website for their values). I will be taking this further.

Room Tip: if you book for 3 people, you may only get 1 double bed!!!!!!! Beware!!!
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
7  Thank karen_veness
Reviewed 26 August 2011

If you´re looking for a clean and comfortable stay during your vacation to see and enjoy the city of New York, but service is of absolutely no importance, this is the place for you! Location is excellent, one and half block away from subway station which will take you to grand central and times square in 5 to 10 minutes. Accomodations are fine, clean and comfortable. Staff on the other hand JUST HORRIBLE, rude and don´t take critic or complaint very well. First night our TV didn´t work and they couldn´t fix it. Second day they blocked my keys because THEY had forgotten to take the imprint of my credit card when they checked me in. If you dare complaint they start talking in their language about you, which to me was particularly disrespectful.

Other than that, the hotel is a good stay for the money you pay.

2  Thank Alexa218
Reviewed 16 August 2011

Very nice hotel, clean, modern and very friendly staff! Fridge in room was super convenient! The major draw back is the neighborhood and parking. There are 4 parking spaces right in front and the rest is on street. I scored a parking spot and thought I wad all set. After leaving on Sunday I realized my gas cap has been stolen and the cover was bent so it no longer closes properly. So the location obviously isn't the best. Other than that you can't go wrong with this hotel. Price is great and only a couple blocks to the 7 train to manhattan!

• Stayed: August 2011