Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, New York City in Queens
Ranked #26 of 33 Hotels in Long Island City
Reviewed 22 December 2013

I chose this hotel over the thanksgiving week '13. 140.00 rate was much better than rates in the city that week. It is conveniently located about a block off the Queensboro bridge subway stop which made it easy to get to and from the city. The hotel seams oddly placed beside a old convenient store and across from a lot of taxi's. The hotel shows some wear - the furnishings are of lower quality and it shows. The breakfast was not replenished fast enough with all the guest there. I only saw one guy working the breakfast area and he was not in a hurry. So, this adequate budget hotel with easy access to a subway stop.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, New York City in Queens

Reviewed 18 December 2013

I had a booking made with Agoda for Country Inn in Long Island city and I was very disappointed.

On our arrival, the futon in our room was broken with no way to make it a sofa. Then, sheets in the room were stained as you can see in the photos attached. Also, the futon was very dirty with dirt accumulated as you can also see in these photos. My wife even found hair in the
bathroom towels.

Considering all this, we decided to cancel the remaining 2 days of our stay and find another hotel. We were traveling with a 6 months old baby and it made us feel uneasy in such a room.

I talked to your front desk and they expressed that Agoda needs to make the cancelation as they have nothing against it. Fine, I called Agoda who agreed immediately and they called the hotel. The supervisor on duty, Sam, LIED to Agoda telling them they cannot agree to any cancelation as my rate is prepaid. Which is completely untrue and I followed up with Agoda who called again Sam who agreed to refund just one night. The reason? I need to give 24 hours notice. We have just left and Agoda refunded one night.

I have stayed in the past at your Radisson and Park Inn properties and was always happy with the service. I am extremely disappointed by your hotel management and I am still waiting for another night refund. I have also wasted almost an hour haggling with hotel employees.

Country Inn corporate offered us a one night credit but I refused to accept it as the rate we paid was much higher than their regular rates.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank 24florinmiron
CarlsonRezidor, Online Customer Care at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, New York City in Queens, responded to this reviewResponded 23 December 2013

Thank you for reaching out and writing your review. We are sorry you were not satisfied with the accommodations of your room. We will discuss the conditions of your room with hotel management to ensure all guest rooms are up to Country Inn & Suites standards. To discuss your stay further, please contact Corporate Customer Care.

Reviewed 17 December 2013

Pros are: rooms are large, comfortable, warm and clean; breakfast is abundant (go there early or you will not find eggs, yogurt, donuts and cream to make waffles. The guy in charge is veeery slow refilling); free wi-fi (but it did not always worked properly, although there is a hotel notice informing this can happen)
Cons are: Newark airport is very far from the hotel. The taxi would cost you $ 110. Alternatively you will have to change 2-3 measn of transportation to get to the hotel (tip: there is a coach near Grand Central which goes to and from Newark aiport, the price is $16); run-down and creepy neighborhood; Queensboro and Queens subway stations are near the hotel and just a few stops away from Times Square and Manhattan. In the late evening streets are deserted and I sometimes felt umcomfortable walking to the hotel on my own; for those of you who are not from the US, misleading price, as the final bill adding taxes will bring you a different amount than the expected one; no restaurants in the sorrounding area; unfriendly staff.
Others: the room clock was broken. I informed the receptionist more than once about this but nobody never came and repair it during my 6-day stay; hairs of previous guests were entangled in one of the towels; the toilet had a bad smell.

Room Tip: Pros: rooms are large and comfortable; breakfast is abundand a; Queensboro and Queens subway stops a...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
CarlsonRezidor, Online Customer Care at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, New York City in Queens, responded to this reviewResponded 21 December 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We apologize for the dissatisfaction of your stay. We take the time to listen to your constructive comments so we can continually improve our services. When a guest lets a staff member know about cleanliness we understand this should be fixed as soon as possible. We apologize we did not meet these expectations. We hope for another opportunity to exceed your expectations. Please also feel free to contact us at CCare@CarlsonRezidor.com ~Dana

Reviewed 27 November 2013

We stayed there for 2 weeks, and was a great choice. The location is excellent, very close to the subway, and just 3 stops from Time Square. Wifi, breakfast (maybe you'll see that there a lot of people saying negative reviews about it, but we did not have problem, just go for your breakfast a little early and you will be able to eat and drink in a good, and comfortable space. I was very happy with the options, maybe a little bit more or fruits, no something extremely important.
We did not have any problem with the reservations, either all the package we ordered from amazon.

Room Tip: Try to choice the higher floors, because the street is loud
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Jonnathan R
Reviewed 26 November 2013

I booked 2 reservations at this location on line as the rate was a "steal". A bit after booking I called the reservation center as I had a few questions. Based on their information I decided to find accommodations else where and asked them to cancel my bookings. I was informed by the agent that my reservations were cancelled and I thought nothing else of it. Come to find out that my reservations were NOT cancelled and now I am being charged 2 nights for "no showing". I e-mailed the hotel to explain them the situation. The response from my grievance was disguising. They did not address the matter at hand and it was not even written in complete sentences. I asked for my matter to be escalated to the hotel management and it has been about 4 weeks and STILL no response.

I feel the hotel and their reservations team has tricked me and is now trying to point blame on each other. The worst part is that my matter is not being resolved.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank LWP28
CarlsonRezidor, Online Customer Care at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, New York City in Queens, responded to this reviewResponded 3 December 2013

We appreciate you bringing this matter to our attention. We understand the inconvenience an unexpected charge can cause. Please contact Corporate Customer Care if you require additional assistance in this matter. Our email is CCare@CarlsonRezidor.com I look forward to hearing from you. ~Dana

Reviewed 26 November 2013

My friend and I stayed here for 1 night in November. We booked the hotel online and the photos on the website gave a true picture of the hotel. When we booked, I asked for a room with night view of NYC but was given the answer : only rooms for couples with just 1 bed have such views. The room we were given had a street view but it was quiet so we had a good sleep. The beds were comfortable and clean. We could find everything we need and I especially like the coffee maker cause it can boil 2 cups of hot water at the same time. The location of the hotel is good: it's just a 3 minutes walk to the nearest subway station and the nearby area is safe. The hotel provides free breakfast with a variety of food like eggs and sausage, bagels, toast and Danish and I found the food acceptable. Don't forget, it's free and it is not a 5 stars hotel so no complain from me! I stayed in a hotel in Buffalo near Niagara Falls and had to pay for my breakfast and it's only a bit better than this one! The hotel doesn't have a restricted area for guests to keep the luggage after they check out, this should be improved. I recommend this hotel to travellers who don't want to spend a fortune on accommodation when visiting NYC.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 November 2013

I am a travel agent and I will never be recommending this hotel to others. This makes me think twice about booking any Carlson property.

As stated in other reviews, this hotel has an awesome location. It is a 5 minute walk from the Queensborough Plaza subway stop which is less than a 10 minute ride away from Times Square! There is not much to do in the neighbourhood but there are some good places to eat and there is a gas station directly beside the hotel which is handy for snacks/drinks. There are housing projects around the block and it is not necessarily the best area, but I never felt unsafe.

We arrived at the hotel two hours prior to the designated check in time and the room was not ready. We were able to leave our luggage in the very unsecure lobby area. Please be mindful that leaving your belongings here is at your own risk! The staff does not pay attention to who is leaving or taking bags.

The staff is very unfriendly, unhelpful and not cut out to be running a hotel. Upon checking in, they were not able to provide us with a map of the city or any useful information. Most of them barely speak English which was unfortunate.

The elevator broke down on our way up to our room and we were stuck for about 20 minutes until they were able to get it running and open the doors. Our room was located directly beside the elevator and we heard the alarm go off (from someone being stuck) about 3 times a day. At one point the staff put a "Wet Paint" sign on the elevator so people would not use it.

The room was below average. There were many stains on the carpets, curtains, chairs and bedding. The shower/bathtub was quite old, worn out and also stained. The television did not work for 3 out of our 4 days. The room was spacious for 2 people and the bed was comfortable.

Breakfast is included but it is an absolute circus. Whether you show up at 8am or 10am, there is nowhere to sit and the selections are picked through and mostly gone. We instead chose to eat breakfast at a small cafe down the street en route to the subway stop.

Overall, this hotel has a lot of potential. It's in a great area, has rooms with NYC skyline views and looks like it used to be comfortable and clean. However, in order to make this hotel a good choice or good value, the management really needs to step it up a notch. Provide more friendly and attentive service, ensure all amenities are working correctly and get more seating for breakfast. If one of your guests endures a bad experience (getting stuck in an elevator and having no television) than compensate them accordingly.

Room Tip: Rooms near the elevator are noisy as it frequently gets stuck
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ExploreWithMaya
CarlsonRezidor, Carlson at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, New York City in Queens, responded to this reviewResponded 28 November 2013

We apologize for the disappointing service you received from the staff. We want to make sure our guests are comfortable and receive the best service. We would also like to apologize for the elevator and the condition of your room and breakfast area. To discuss your concern further, please contact Corporate Customer Care.