“Friendly staff/comfortable/convient” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sleep Inn - Long Island City

Sleep Inn - Long Island City
Ranked #7 of 31 Hotels in Long Island City

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2013

The location is good and only 3 station awaty from the 5th Ave. The community is a bit slacken but safe. good value for what is has. the room is clean and service is kind to travellors. I definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

1 Thank Mengche
Miami, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2013

The hotel is clean and breakfast is plenty. The room is comfortable but the black spot was that they wanted to keep copy of my driver license for their records! It is illegal. I provided several pic ID and I reserved with weeks in advance, and I used same credit card number to pay, and still they wanted to keep copy of my driver license. I did not allow it.The Lady Monica is very rude: When I asked her why to keep copy of my drv lic she just made me sign twice comparing my signature with the drv lic. Otherwise, everything else is very good.

Room Tip: If you want a city view (really it is not), you have to pay $20 a night. They may reduce it to $10 p...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2013 via mobile

I'm not a huge fan of spending to much on lodging however I want a clean bed and friendly staff. This place exceeded both of those expectations. You cannot beat the close distance to the F train to attractions in downtown NYC. For the price the room was awesome. I requested city view and my kids loved it. If you are parking there know this the spaces are tiny!!! If you park on the street you have to move your car by 8:00 am daily. If your doing all public transit and want to have more money to spend on other fun stuff in NYC this is the hotel for you.

Stayed November 2013
1 Thank Daniel S
New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2013

we had a double charge from the hotel on our credit card and they didn't release the amount they double charged us!when i said to the girl at the reception that we don't have money not even for a coffee because we were depending only on our credit card she rudely answered me ''stay here and drink cofee,we have a lot!''finally we got our money back when we came back at our country 1 week later!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Arnhem, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2013

Choosing a hotel in New York wasn't very difficult once me and my better half booked our ticket. Back in 2011 I had a great experience with the Howard Johnson Long Island City hotel in the Queensbridge area. The only visible change when making the booking was the change of chain. Judging by price and recent reviews, not much had changed. So the booking was made. Unfortunately, my previous Tripadvisor review is not available anymore, probably due to the chain change. So here we go, my most recent experience...only a week old :)

- Located in the Queensbridge area of Long Island City, Queens.
- It takes only 2 minutes by foot to reach 21 st/Queensbridge subway station. If you arrive in NYC by plane at JFK, it takes about 30 minutes to reach the hotel from Jamaica subway station. The F-train is your personal guide into NYC if you're staying at the Sleep Inn! Downtown Manhattan can be reached in about 10 minutes, 24/7!
- Helpful and friendly staff
- Clean and well maintained rooms. Our great kingsize bed gave us all the rest and comfort we needed after our long and exhausting days in NYC.
- Free wi-fi!

There is one major con about the Sleep Inn: Breakfast is usually included in your rate. And although the buffet is basic but OK, the breakfast area is (still) too small for the number of people that stay here. On our first morning, we were pretty much forced to have breakfast in our room since there was no space to enjoy our breakfast, even after waiting for about 20 minutes for some free seats.

Some people were not very happy with the surroundings of the hotel. I can imagine the feeling when you arrive in the Queensbridge area for the first time. But don't let the surroundings scare you off. Today's New York is NOT the New York of the 70s and 80s. Long Island City has come a long way. And although the Queensbridge area does not look really inviting, it is in no way dangerous! The streets are busy at all times, police can be found at any corner and the locals really don't mind you and are helpful if you are in need.

As expensive as the great city of New York is, there are a lot of hidden gems located throughout the city. The Sleep Inn Long Island City (formerly Howard Johnson) still offers the best value for your money if you need a hotel only 10 minutes away from downtown Manhattan. It's clean, friendly and much cheaper than most middle class hotels in Manhattan! Still highly recommended, and still my number one choice in my number one city!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with Manhattan view for the ultimate NYC experience. Unless you don't mind lookin...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Srananbloke
Chicago
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2013

We spent two nights there and loved it.
The staff is very helpful and friendly and the room was cozy, clean and very quiet.
The breakfast was fantastic and had plenty of items.
The subway is just two short blocks away! Sweet.
That means your are in Manhattan in 15 minutes.
Take the F train the other direction and you are only one stop away from a string of fantastic Indian restaurants. Great food and lots of fun things to see.That area is called Jackson Heights
I give the Sleep Inn stars A++++.
We WILL be back!