“Queens Hotel in Bleak Nieghborhood”

Sleep Inn - Long Island City
Ranked #9 of 34 Hotels in Long Island City
Reviewed 10 December 2013

I've stayed here several times before when this hotel was a different franchise. But it still seems to be the same management. For visitors who know the area or are here on local or family matters, this might be a good budget choice. But for visitors looking for the pulse of New York experience, this might not be such a good location. The hotel is across the 59th street bridge from Manhattan but is easily accessible by the F subway line. However, tourist resources in the vicinity of this hotel are nil. Rooms are generally of moderate size but maintenance suffers because of the constant turnover of budget visitors. For example, when the lodgers above showered in the morning, water leaked down through my lighting fixture. And even with all the lights on, my room was still quite dim. My observation is that a good number of the guests are Europeans more comfortable with staying in out of the way neighborhoods and riding public transportation. They were down to the free breakfast early and snapped up the best food choices before I got there at 8 or so. My room had a fridge, iron, closet and drawer space but not enough hangers. The ice machine was in the breakfast area so I had to take the elevator or stairs each time I needed to re-fill the bucket. I will say that the Wi-Fi was free and worked O.K. This hotel seems best for those who just need a bed and some free breakfast treats and don't mind the public commute. If you bring a car, there is some parking on-site. Street parking is also available. If you choose to store your bags on the day you leave (or if you arrive too early to check in) there is a small fee.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 10 December 2013

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
An EasyToBook.com traveler
Reviewed 5 December 2013

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank An EasyToBook.com traveler
Reviewed 3 December 2013

The location is good and only 3 station awaty from the 5th Ave. The community is a bit slacken but safe. good value for what is has. the room is clean and service is kind to travellors. I definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mengche
Reviewed 27 November 2013

The hotel is clean and breakfast is plenty. The room is comfortable but the black spot was that they wanted to keep copy of my driver license for their records! It is illegal. I provided several pic ID and I reserved with weeks in advance, and I used same credit card number to pay, and still they wanted to keep copy of my driver license. I did not allow it.The Lady Monica is very rude: When I asked her why to keep copy of my drv lic she just made me sign twice comparing my signature with the drv lic. Otherwise, everything else is very good.

Room Tip: If you want a city view (really it is not), you have to pay $20 a night. They may reduce it to $10 p...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 November 2013 via mobile

I'm not a huge fan of spending to much on lodging however I want a clean bed and friendly staff. This place exceeded both of those expectations. You cannot beat the close distance to the F train to attractions in downtown NYC. For the price the room was awesome. I requested city view and my kids loved it. If you are parking there know this the spaces are tiny!!! If you park on the street you have to move your car by 8:00 am daily. If your doing all public transit and want to have more money to spend on other fun stuff in NYC this is the hotel for you.

Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank Daniel S
Reviewed 17 November 2013

we had a double charge from the hotel on our credit card and they didn't release the amount they double charged us!when i said to the girl at the reception that we don't have money not even for a coffee because we were depending only on our credit card she rudely answered me ''stay here and drink cofee,we have a lot!''finally we got our money back when we came back at our country 1 week later!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple