“Amazing Boutique Hotel!”
Review of Z NYC Hotel

Z NYC Hotel
Ranked #10 of 33 Hotels in Long Island City
Reviewed 24 April 2013

I stayed at the Z Hotel during the renovation of my Apt, and I am very impress by the quality and the concept of this Boutique Hotel. Service is amazing, all amenities, phone, internet are included, for a very good price. About the room, it's a boutique hotel, that means you have a ultra clean & design bedroom and furnitures. The Hotel is very convenient to commute to the city, they have a free shuttle avery 30min what a dream. I think this is Z best deal ever in NYC !

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MeetMeInNYC
There are newer reviews for Z NYC Hotel

Reviewed 24 April 2013

Small but comfortable rooms, FREE Wifi everywhere, Free shuttle to Manhattan.
Simple but good breakfast. This area will be top location in a couple of years. One can see that the area is under construction, The Hotel, and some buildings around, are the first step.We went for a walk in the evening but returned after 5 minutes as we didn't feel comfortable and safe :-((
_____________________________________________________________________________

Room Tip: Take a room at the highest floor with breathtaking view on Manhattan. Lower floors (we stayed at th...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank PaulLonderzeel
Reviewed 23 April 2013

The view from my room was the best part of this hotel. This was for a business trip so I cannot comment on the shuttle to midtown, beyond saying the bus was cute.

The room was very European = small, but it was nicely decorated in an art deco style. The bathroom was even smaller with the shower enclosure too short to keep the water from splashing out. My second night I woke at 2am to heat blowing from my AC and the temp in the room nearly 85. The desk sent a maintenance man to my room without hotel ID and not in any type of a uniform, they really expected me to open my door (woman in NYC alone, open my door to a stranger???? NOT). After two attempts at changing out the AC unit, they finally achieved success. This was then shattered the next night when I returned from dinner and the heat was blowing once again. They said something about a boiler being turned on and that they needed to flip a switch on the side of the AC to change it back to cold air. Okay, I may not be in the heating and cooling business but if it was blowing cold air the night before who came in my room and flipped the switch????

The breakfast buffet/continental breakfast is adequate, though I protest having a 20% tip added to my bill when I only got OJ and coffee once. If I am tipping for wait service I really want to be waited on. This brings me to the lack of restaurants that you can walk to. This hotel is in a very industrial area and you must take a taxi to have a meal.

Staff at the desk was polite and well groomed. The hotel was clean.

Again, all I can recommend is to stay for the view which is SPECTACULAR.

Room Tip: Ask for upper floor away from the elevator, but I hear that in the summer they have a club on the ro...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 April 2013

What a view of Manhattan! The Z New York Hotel was a wonderful experience while on business in Long Island. My room was a great size, clean and everything worked! It did not disappoint as I booked this hotel solely on the reviews of Trip Advisor. The gamble payed off! The staff was very friendly and professional. I do recommend!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 April 2013

This is a great hotel located in Long Island City next to the Ed Koch (59th street Bridge)
A Million dollar view of NY skyline awaits you in sparkling clean Boutique style hotel.
The staff is great and they have a really good bar/lounge with food on premises.
Their buss will take you to manhattan and of course Laguardia and Jfk, You are 10
minutes from Manhattan and the bus makes several trips back and forth each day.
You can have New York City Luxury and Long Island City Pricing. This is a must
for a savy tourist looking for all amenities and lower prices. I have stayed 3 times and
I will certainly go back again,

Pat Sharkey

Room Tip: every room has greaat view of skyline
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank patricia S
Reviewed 20 April 2013

This is my second review ever but I felt compelled to write it because I have read many from other travellers. This has helped me enormously in making the right choice when travelling, and if my review helps others, it will be my way of saying thanks to others who bother to write reviews and my way of giving something back.
The view from the Z Hotel was amazing and it totally exceeded my expectations. The decor is very funky but some of the facilities are basic. There is no room service for example, and there is no tea or coffee in the rooms, but perhaps this is my ignorance as it's my first trip to the US-maybe no hotel in the US provides tea and coffee...Having said that, it was easy enough to go to the diner downstairs from 7am onwards and pick up a cup of coffee for free and take it back to my room.
When I first arrived I was given a room on the 4th floor but I found that it looked straight out onto concrete warehouse rooves and being very close to the bridge, the level of traffic noise was quite high. I asked to move to a room on a higher floor and they were very accommodating....the windows open slightly to allow air into the room but... with the noise from the bridge (day and night) it was better to leave them shut.
Other minuses were:
the breakfast-$10+with tip-but no fruit and the hot breakfast was basic. From the open kitchen end of the diner there was an unbearable smell of fried bacon (tough if you don't eat meat!)
The address they provide on their website makes it very confusing for the taxi drivers and costly for us travellers. I suggested to the receptionist that the hotel management change it on the website to one which is easier to understand.
Another minus is their cooling system unit. They appear to be individual ones set up in each room and they are very noisy.
Other than the view, which, along with the special price I got, was the main reason I chose the hotel, there is the reliable and fun shuttle "school" bus into Manhattan which, even in traffic only takes about 15 minutes. The staff is very friendly and accommodating as were the people manning th reception...but they should have 2 people looking after their clients as if he/she is answering a call they can leave you standing there for quite a long time....doesn't bear well for good customer service.
Overall, I would recommend it and I would stay there again but I would memorise the corner street it's situated on so I could give this information to taxi drivers.

Room Tip: choose a room on a higher floor and to the southern side of the building away from the bridge
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Solo1_10
Reviewed 17 April 2013

I chose this hotel because of the promised view and I was not disappointed. The view is spectacular and a wonderful look at Manhattan from the other side. Don't be put off by the location of the hotel, the view more than makes up for it. The location is fine and feels very safe. We were there to visit St. John's University and family in Greenpoint and Park Slope so we did not utilize the shuttle but it was right there ready to go and I will use it next time I stay there. There was on street parking for free and I did not have trouble finding a spot. With a car it was convenient to get to many areas in Brooklyn/Queens. The hotel is trendy and fun. The rooms are decent size, fun, and very clean. The bed was comfortable, sheets soft, and pillows really great. We did not eat breakfast but I was able to get a cup of coffee to go at the bar. We had some light fare at the restaurant and it was decent food. The rooftop bar was not open for the season yet but I went up to take a look and I look forward to a return visit in the warmer weather. The view is well worth it. Staff were friendly and helpful. There was not an exercise room but I did not need one after all the walking I did in the two days there. I will be frequenting NYC as my daughter will be going to St. John's University in the fall and this hotel will be my first choice.

Room Tip: I believe all rooms have the view but the higher the better. I was on the 6th floor and other peopl...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family