“HORRIBLE Service or lack of”

Best Western Long Island City
Ranked #22 of 32 Hotels in Long Island City
Berkeley, CA
“HORRIBLE Service or lack of”
Reviewed 27 August 2014

What ever happened to good customer service and friendly accommodations? Are those a thing of the past?

I wanted to treat my boyfriend to a couple of nights at a decent place that is the half-way point between my apt and Flushing while we attend US Open. I booked the hotel through Hotwire (which has always been wonderful to work with - Thank you Denise!). Unfortunately, I got my dates mixed up and booked Tuesday and Wednesday instead of Wednesday and Thursday. When I called Red Roof and asked for options, the male operator (Minar?) was extremely rude. At one point he said "you can call and ask me a million times and I would still tell you NO!). That was when I asked to speak with a manager. Minar (?) then told me that the manager will be in at 10 the next morning and will call me back. Before I could say ok or thank you, he hung up on me.

I never heard back from Red Roof, but sInce I paid for Tuesday and Wednesday, I decided to just forfeit Tuesday night since we couldn't make it. I called Wednesday to let Red Roof know that we will be able to check in on Wednesday but was then told that my reservation was cancelled due to "no show". I explained the situation to the operator and also that I didn't see such restriction on my reservation confirmation and Minar never told me such policy. The operator then told me there was nothing she can do and to call Hotwire. She then promptly hung up.

Denise at Hotwire did what she could but told me ultimately it was up to the hotel whether or not to accommodate a customer. Denise even called the hotel to inquiry further on the situation and was told by Red Roof that they gave the room away Tuesday when we didn't show up. I don't think that I was being unseasonable in asking about options to change the reservation and was willing to forfeit one night. But for the hotel to just cancel your reservation without notice? I am not sure that was the most appropriate method to treat a customer. I understand the need to make money in order to maintain a business, but proper notice to the customer should be given. At the very least, they could have been a little more professional and courteous.

I am disappointed with the way this hotel communicates to the customers and the lack of respect for people in general.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Travlr08

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
  • Turkish first
Alicante, Spain
Reviewed 25 August 2014

We knew that New York hotels are expensive, and that parking in Manhattan was problematic. So we looked for places in the other boroughs and ended up with this one, a choice based on price, proximity to a subway station, and the availability of free parking. This last point was quite important. We arrived late at night, and by then the hotel parking was completely full, so we parked in one of the surrounding streets. But next morning we were able to move the car into the hotel parking and we just left if there until it was time to drive to the airport the following evening. The hotel itself was not terrible, but still the quality was quite poor, even considering that the price was low by New York standards. For example, when you leave your room at 9:30 a.m. and return late in the evening (and do not leave the "do not disturb" sign on the door), then you expect to find the room cleaned. Not in this case. We had to track down a cleaner the subsequent morning and ask for towels. Incidentally, we overheard the cleaning staff arguing loudly with the person at the front desk, with total disregard of guests overhearing the entire "conversation". The room was poorly outfitted, the faucet in the bathroom leaked, although it must be said that the shower worked well and the water flowed plentifully at the correct temperature. This may sound like something that one should expect as a matter of course, but we have had bad experiences with the bathrooms at other hotels of this type. Breakfast was included, but the selection of items was extremely limited, and the coffee was plainly undrinkable even by US standards. Fortunately there were places near the subway station where one could get decent coffee. The wifi was a bit flaky but free. Overall, not a particularly good experience, so next time in New York we will look elsewhere.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Natan W

Travellers are raving about these Long Island City hotels

Somerset, Kentucky
Reviewed 18 August 2014

We treated my sister and her husband to a NYC experience for two days,
including a stay at this motel. At the price of rooms in the area, (we selected
this motel and opted for one room instead of two! This room was around $250
per night for the four of us. (Not a bad price for the area, BTW). Typical Red Roof Inn...
older remodeled, decent accommodations and clean. A couple of tips: SPACE IS VERY LIMITED in the parking lot (provided free off-street). Be sure to get there early. We drove but I guess most do not. (we are from rural KY). Breakfast area is even worse... people waiting in lines forever and sitting anywhere there was space. We sat outside the building in a light rain because there was no place else available. People eating in the lobby (while others trying to check out... madness), on the steps, seated on tables, easy chairs, etc. Better to skip this included continental breakfast and eat elsewhere; it was that hectic! A walk to the subway was a little further than expected for four seniors. We used the motel provided free shuttle service to nearby the closest station, drop-off was always within a block or two (free except for the drivers tip, which is recommended if you want to be picked back up at a requested time. Even so, we had to call several times to get a ride back to the motel. No scheduled shuttle is available, sorry to say.)

Room Tip: Skip breakfast in... eat out.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 16 August 2014

Just what you expect from Red Roof. Clean, functional and affordable. Breakfast was actually better than expected. Price was very good for a NYC hotel. Two tips: If you are driving, this hotel does have a few free parking spots but only enough for about 20% of occupancy. If you need a parking spot check in early. Second, this hotel is close to the expressway. Rooms in back are quieter.

Room Tip: back and upper rooms are quieter
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed 5 August 2014

I stayed in this hotel two times (for 3 and 1 nights) with my wife and son during our vacation in NYC area. The hotel seems pretty old, however everything was clean, nice and in working condition. Staff was friendly, they helped us with orientation in the area and provided us with maps and guides for our trips to NYC. Subway station (line 7, 40th street) is just 7-10 min walk; direct 15-20 min ride to Times Square. The neighborhood looked safe and quiet (at least during our stay). Nice view to the cemetery :)

San Francisco, California
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Drab, high-carb only breakfast, but close enough to walk to the 7-Flushing which will take you in to Manhattan quickly. The room was your average room, fine for sleeping at night but I wouldn't want to spend any more time here. I'd prefer to eat for under $5 at the liquor store around the corner rather than eat the complimentary breakfast here. Besides the small dining room is crowded if you sleep in (maybe 9am ish).

1 Thank SFtraveler69
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Booking.com handled the electronic reservation, Amex guaranteed the rooms. Yet even with two heavyweights on our side, we did not get what we paid for. Two queen beds became one. The "city view" became a room overlooking the expressway; and it was a loud, busy expressway.

Breakfast was 7-9 am, but even at 8 am there was no milk for the cereal or coffee, no juice in the machine and lean pickings for the rest. The dining room (actually its the lobby and service entrance) attendant explained the delivery was late. We stayed there 3 nights. Breakfast did not improve. Cleaning staff were friendly, but missed things like the in-room coffee machine.

Free parking, but only 15 spots for 80 guests. Tip: get there early, and take the rooms in the back, they are infinitely quieter. Free shuttle if you have lots of time, but don't expect it to be there on schedule. Sort of a hit and miss.

Room Tip: rooms in the back of the hotel only. the front faces expressway. Rinse out the in-room coffee maker...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends