“Good value but has some staff issues”

Fairfield Inn & Suites New York Queens/Queensboro Bridge
Ranked #5 of 31 Hotels in Long Island City
New York
“Good value but has some staff issues”
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Pros:
New hotel so clean and modern
Nice lounge area, bar
2 computers and printers available in lobby
Location is great as you have access to several train lines

Cons:
With the exception of Alex at the front desk, the rest of the staff is not very good.
6 months ago I stayed at the Verve just down the street and their service was fantastic so this hotel has got some work to do. (Also Verve offers free washer and dryer for use)
If you are not out of your room by 11am, it's not getting clean which is rare especially in US hotels where you can have your room cleaned as late as 3-5pm.
I stayed for 9 days and requested a later check out and it wasn't granted. Considering I've just dropped well over $1000 I think the hotel can spare an hour but again I think this has to do with the staff not being quick enough.
One afternoon we overheard a staff meeting taking place in the breakfast nook and it confirmed our suspicions that staff is not up to par.

Overall I'd stay here again as I'm sure they'll work out their staff issues.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed 3 July 2014

This was our second stay at this property. I must say, it didn't seem as great this time. Front desk staff not all that friendly or helpful. No perks for Marriott Gold Members (no concierge lounge I understand, but not even a free bottle of WATER?). And the in room television did not work well - remote could not change the channels and even when replaced with a different one it still didn't function right.

Loud construction right outside the hotel started promptly around 8 am each morning, so do not expect to sleep in. (I, of course, do not blame the hotel for the construction! But as a potential guest you should be aware of it.)

The public computers in the main lobby are set up very oddly. Our smart phone was not working and my husband checked email on one - while another guest very pointedly WATCHED him type in his email address and tried to see the password... Unsettling. The 2 public computers need to be separated at least a bit to prevent that from happening.

Room was fine - normal Fairfield room. Clean, toiletries available, blow dryer, fine bed... And last but not least, hotel is still in a good location (smile - it has not moved). Easy to jump on the subway and get to Manhatten from this property.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Aruba
Reviewed 3 July 2014 via mobile

Great location, clean rooms, helpful staff and warm breakfast! The metro station(s) is only 2-3min away and the staff is always there to help with directions. Free wifi in rooms and lobby plus two PCs and printer in the lobby. Warm breakfast (scramled eggs, sausage, waffles, bagels) of fare quality. Friendly bartender. Will return. We stayed in rm 706 and my parents 709 for 4nights, rooms were clean and serviced every day, we had no noise complaints.

• Stayed June 2014
Boca Raton, Fl
Reviewed 30 June 2014 via mobile

If you are looking to do NYC on a budget but still want a clean, stylish, friendly hotel.. This is your place! Amazing breakfast , super friendly staff and a block from the subway E line that will take you right in to the city! 5 miles from Laguardia... $18 cab ride.. Can't beat it!

• Stayed June 2014
Bradenton, Florida
Reviewed 25 June 2014 via mobile

I grew up in NY as a child but never visited as an adult so I was really concerned with getting around NYC. I chose this hotel over a Manhattan one obviously because of the price and over a Jersey one because based on reviews getting around seemed effortless.
I called the day before arrival and spoke to Jasmine about getting around the subway and the trains that stopped by the hotel so I could plan my itinerary..She was very helpful before we even arrived so I knew I had made a good choice. She assured me that they would help me with any travel arrangements into the city. Traveling in NYC can be quite intimidating with the transit system.
Got to hotel in the evening. Checking in was fast and quick. Hotel clerk was very polite. We had room 1206. This has no view except rooftops,subway tracks and construction. Give it a few years and LIC will be the next " it place". I grew up in queens and it is nice to see progress. Our room was a double. Very small even for 3 people ,but very clean. But we were there to take in the sights not sit in a hotel room.
I asked the clerk how to get to times square and they were right, the subway station is literally a left out of hotel and a right about a 1/2 block. There are no dark alleys or streets to be concerned with, just a construction fence. Saw mostly tourist on this short walk. Didn't see any restaurants along way. This is strictly industrial at this time. But Astoria is a quick train ride or Manhattan for eating options. We went into Times Square the night we got there. Only two stops away. I wish the first hotel clerk would have given us the helpful tip. Get in the first 3 cars of the train on way back, so you will be near the steps so it's not a long walk because we got in the back and had a long walk at 1:00 am. But never felt uneasy. Utilize the N & R train both went into the Square and never waited more than 10 minutes. Sometimes just got overwhelmed on which one to hop on. The N, R and 7 will get you where you need to go. Took the R train to go to 59th street, Central Park.
Although there is a map and the hotel staff is great. I think it wiuld be helpful to have a print out that says if "you want to get here use this train" if you want to get here use that train" Because based on time of day, weekend, trains are not consistent and you could easily hop on wrong one. Get a metro card sold at station. We got the $20 one for 2 days and was plenty based on our itinerary. And you save a little off each ride.
The breakfast was the typical Fairfield Inn. Waffles, sausage, fruit, yogurts. Only two juice choices. I was at a smaller Fairfield two days later and they had 4. My biggest complaint was at 7:00 am, food was scarce and they could not keep up with the demand. They were running around. Not the usual friendly breakfast hosts that greet you in am and make small talk. At one point, she walked right in front of me to put bagels out and didn't even say excuse me. The whole time there, the fruit salad and bananas never got refilled. The sausage was not hot. The seating was not adequate for the amount of people staying. I saw many people take their food up to their rooms.
The rooms were very quiet at night, and the housekeeping kept our room nice.
Upon checking out early in the am, I asked if I could keep my suitcases somewhere and even pay for a few hours of parking so we could see a few more attractions (I highly recommend the Newyorkpass.com) We made our money back after just 3 attractions.
They without hesitation, told me I could keep my luggage in the car and keep my car there a few extra hours before the 3:00 people check in. He walked us down, carried our luggage to car. No charge. This was so awesome because, it would have cost us $30 to park at the Museum Of Amercan Natural History for a few hours. We otherwise would have just checked out and headed home. But this allowed us one extra day of sightseeing. This sealed the deal for us, if and when we come back, we will stay at this hotel, no matter what the view looks like. It can only get better but the staff was very accommodating and that gets our stamp of approval.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank chsmit5651
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed 19 June 2014

We stayed here in January 2014 for "Boys Adventure" for a friends birthday and couldn't have asked for a better place.

It's obvious the building is pretty new and the decor is edgy and modern.

The rooms were clean, modern and the staff was very helpful and friendly.

It is extremely close to Manhattan and the subway is literally up the street. Cabs into midtown were under 20 dollars.

I would stay here again!

Room Tip: Always ask for upgrades or specials :)
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank DuJuan A
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 18 June 2014

We were on an apartment hunting trip with our son and we picked this Fairfield because it was convenient to Manhattan and Queens and the price was good compared to Manhattan. It was about a $25 cab ride with tip from LaGuardia. The hotel is fairly new and modern. The beds were comfortable, the wifi was free and worked just fine. We had a large walkin shower in our room, no bathtub. All the staff were friendly. The breakfast was the usual Fairfield type and the staff kept the food items replenished. There was a large church group staying while we were there and when they descended on the breakfast area, food items were depleted. I thought the breakfast staff did a good job of keeping up with this crowd. There is a bar that opens at night on the first floor that also serves bar-type food, small pizzas, sandwiches, etc, which was nice. It was an easy walk, just a few blocks to the N,Q subway line. We took this line into Manhattan and also took it to visit Astoria where we ate dinner on two nights. In Astoria, we ate at the Aliada (Greek restaurant) and Bohemian Hall and Beer Garden and enjoyed both. We took the elevated subway into Astoria to do this. We also ate at Dutch Kills Centraal, which we enjoyed. It was a short walk from the hotel.
We were on the 7th floor. We could hear the elevated subway line from our room but it never disturbed our sleep.
As other reviewers have said, the area is commercial and there is a construction area across the street so it is not in a scenic location. While we never felt threatened or in danger, one person walking from the subway stop to the hotel at night might feel nervous. Unlike Manhattan, there are not many people out on the street at night.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank DiverBob_7
Also consider these accommodations in or near Long Island City
Hilton Garden Inn New York Long ...
#2 of 31 in Long Island City
Holiday Inn L.I. City - Manhatta...
#12 of 31 in Long Island City
Home2 Suites by Hilton New York ...
#1 of 31 in Long Island City
Midtown
Hotel Edison Times Square
Hotel Edison Times Square
#310 of 468 in New York City

Been to Fairfield Inn & Suites New York Queens/Queensboro Bridge? Share your experiences!