“Chic, New, Comfortable, Cool, Awesome”

The Paper Factory Hotel
Ranked #7 of 34 Hotels in Long Island City
Reviewed 20 February 2014

I REALLY like this hotel. It opened in late fall 2013, so everything is new which is great, but it’s the thoughtful choices in décor and styling that make the property comfortable, unpretentious, and cosmopolitan all at the same time. The building is an old factory in Long Island City (two stops away from 59th St. in Manhattan on the R train), and that is evident in the refinished original wood floors, lofty spaces in hallways and rooms, exposed brick, and industrial remnants (think abandoned dumb waiter shafts) of the building’s past life. My room, No. 513, had a gorgeous brown glass subway-tile shower with rainwater head, funky furniture, and vintage-inspired baseboards—the tall ones you only find in old houses anymore—cleverly cut from thick plywood sheet. In the lobby and adjacent rooms, retro seating and shabby-chic wood-paneled walls look like they were sourced from talented Sundance catalog artisans. The staff is smiling and pleasant. And while the hotel is still a work in progress—a bar is still being constructed in the lobby area—this place is already one of my favorite-ever city hotels.

Room Tip: I didn't do this, but moving forward, I think i will ask to be placed in a room far away from ot...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank maxjeffjen1
Ron O, General Manager at The Paper Factory Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 September 2014

Dear Valued guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on the Paper Factory Hotel. We appreciate your suggestions and comments and are working very hard to make this Hotel the best it can be.

Thank you again for your time and we are looking forward to your next stay.

Reviewed 17 February 2014 via mobile

From the moment my girlfriend and I walked through the doors we felt at home. The decor, the art, most importantly the service. Everyone was wonderful from Marc at the Café to the wonderful receptionist at the desk. Everything was smooth and effortless.
The room was magical and our view was priceless. If I had to play devils advocate I would just say the room was very very cold(more of a reason to snuggle with your partner) but in all my stay at the PaperFactory Hotel was simply Life Changing. I would like to thank all that made our anniversary as special as it was.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Valued guest,

Thank you again for your time and we are looking forward to your next stay.

Reviewed 16 February 2014

Do not stay here. There is no insulation or sound proofing of any kind. You cannot control your own heat. They pretend to make it possible for you to control it but each time it never worked. The fan was blowing at the highest speed, which I think they were using to attempt to cover up for the noise. It looks cool and is nicely decorated. If no one else is staying here might seem quiet. Unfortunately, when I was here there were people staying in the rooms next to me and I could hear every word they said. They didn't have any ear plugs because they ran out. After the first day, our key cards stopped working and needed to be reprogrammed.

• Stayed: February 2014
2  Thank Lauren C

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on the property and please allow me to apologize for the stay that to me was sub par.
We take our guest's comments and suggestions very serious and are making all the efforts to ensure our guest's stay is the most comfortable.

I do invite you to visit us again and please do not hesitate to contact me directly for your next visit.
My name is Ron Oz and I am the General Manager of the property and it will be my pleasure to assist moving forward.

Reviewed 10 February 2014

My out-of-town cousin had rented a room to attend a family funeral. It was during one of the wicked NYC snowstorms, so she invited my sister and I to stay with her. The hotel allowed us all to stay for no additional cost - which was very nice. However, the room was freezing! We called the desk and were told that they control the heat from the desk. They promised to turn it up. An hour later we were still freezing. We fiddled with the thermostat and some heat started to come up. However, due to the high ceiling and big windows, the room was cold all night. We had to pile our coats and bags along the windowsill to help with the draft.
When we needed to dry our hair in the morning, the outlet in the bathroom didn't work. The shower was in a separate alcove next to the bathroom, which was very convenient since someone could use the bathroom at the same time that someone else takes a shower. However, the space in the shower room is very small - while the shower space itself was a good size.
The hotel is in a very dead part of town with nothing nearby. We had brought some refreshments with us -thankfully - but when we called the desk for ice and cups we were told there wasn't any of either. We had to use our cell phone to call the desk, since there is no phone in the room. There were no vending machines, coffee shop or anything. The coffee and tea bar didn't open until 7:30 am. We seemed to be the only guests in the entire hotel.
I understand that they have just opened, but why should they be open if things are not ready?

Room Tip: Ask to see the room first. Our room looked nothing like the rooms on the website.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank VeggieP

Dear Valued guest,

I want to thank you on behalf of the team at the Paper Factory Hotel, Long Island city on your survey of the Hotel.
We take all of our guest comments and suggestions very serious and act upon them accordingly. As we know the guest is who we service and who we listen to at the end of the day and your feedback is extremely important for our business to thrive.

We have made adjustments to a lot of areas including the insulation of windows, doors and other parts of the hotel. As this was the early stages of the hotel's life we unfortunately had some kinks needed to be fixed and I'm happy to report we have done this and listened to our guest's.

I invite you to stay here again and you will see the improvements for yourself. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly as I would love the opportunity to host you again.

Thank you again for your time and we are looking forward to servicing you once again in the near future.

Reviewed 6 February 2014 via mobile

Just stayed there with my wife for three nights for our 10 year wedding anniversary. Everything about this hotel is impeccable.

It all starts with the service. The staff greeted us with smiles and did everything they possibly could to make us feel at home (when you walk into the hotel, you feel a very warm and home-style vibe). The digital concierge was so neat and very in with technology, but also very helpful and assisted us with finding tourist spots and restaurants.

The rooms are slightly bigger than typical NYC rooms. They are very well furnished, very stylish, modern and comfortable. The lobby is also very nice and warm. They had just opened recently and were still finishing the bar which looked like it will work very well with the concept of the hotel.

The location is very nice, just two subway stops from Manhattan.

I highly recommend this hotel, we will definitely be back!

Stayed: February 2014
Ron O, General Manager at The Paper Factory Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 September 2014

Dear Valued guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience at the Paper Factory Hotel Long Island City. I am glad you and your family enjoyed their stay and we are looking forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 22 January 2014

I hate to excoriate a hotel, and someday maybe it will be all that it hopes to be and claims to be now, but I really have to question the ethics of the owners in opening this prematurely. Like many hotels in Long Island City it is in an industrial area, but usually that is alleviated by some kind of warm welcome. Not only was there no signage, but there were no exterior lights at all. My cab was a block away and we couldn't tell where it was- and the desk clerk couldn't help us. She did not know the area. Someone who may have been a security person stood some distance away and sort of glared at me as I struggled with my bag. The hotel was empty. The décor was industrial but unsoftened and incomplete and really eerie. Our room was barely furnished. No endtables, no lamps, no desk, no chair. A bed and a small dresser. No glasses. No literature. A poorly chosen bath vanity forces them to store towels in the closet. A large hardwood floor with no area rug. Pull-down shades but no final window treatments. No phone! No staff, at least none that knew anything. The next morning when we tried to escape, an earnest but clueless clerk tried to get someone on the phone to help her, to no avail. Meanwhile in a room off the lobby workmen assembled the furniture and accessories intended for the guestrooms.

This may someday be a cool hotel, but I will always question the intentions of the owners.
They refunded the fee for the night we stayed there, but still cost us a good chunk of a very short jaunt to NYC. It should also be noted that Paper Factory is positioning itself as the most expensive of the new Long Island City hotels.

Room Tip: During our stay rooms, halls, and public areas had the feel of the set of a horror movie.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Michael F

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on the Paper Factory Hotel, Long Island City. We take all of your comments and suggestions very serious and act upon them accordingly. We have made great strides to completely transform the property into an oasis outside Manhattan and have been successful so far.
Some of your comments were indeed correct at that time, however, if you were to visit now, you would see a great change.

Thank you again and see you again very soon.

Reviewed 31 December 2013

We have spent one week here in this brand new hotel, the place was great, the subway is in the same block, the price is really good for being in NYC, great decoration, kind staff, confortable bedrooms...everything was perfect in the hotel.
Pasamos una semana en este hotel recién inaugurado, el sitio era genial, el metro estaba en la puerta, el precio es muy bueno para ser NYC, la decoración era genial, el personal muy amable, las habitaciones confortables...todo fue perfecto!

Room Tip: Por cortesía del hotel, pudimos probar dos tipos de habitación, si tu presupuesto te lo permite elig...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Jesus P
Ron O, General Manager at The Paper Factory Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2014

Dear Jesus P,

Thank you very much for your review of the new Paper Factory Hotel Long Island City. We are happy you enjoyed your stay and are looking forward to your next stay.