“Excellent value (well for New York anyway!)” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of La Quinta Inn Queens New York City

La Quinta Inn Queens New York City
Ranked #29 of 31 Hotels in Long Island City
Cheltenham England
“Excellent value (well for New York anyway!)”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2013

I booked this hotel as it was close to the subway, and had shops and food outlets nearby. It was an excellent choice. The subway station was literally 5 minutes walk, we bought a weeks metrocard for $30, £20 to go anywhere. Bargain! It took about 15 minutes on the subway to get into central Manhatten and was no problem, I felt very very safe. It was no different to going to London. The hotel room was big, clean, massive bed, excellent shower, loads of storage. It had a coffee maker that we couldnt get to work, but in the breakfast room downstairs you could get free coffee, tea hot chocolate whenever you wanted. The breakfast was brilliant too. Donuts, cereal, bagels, cream cheese! And included in the price. We met some Brits on a trip and they paid double what we paid, with no breakfast or drinks or anything, just to stay in Manhatten. This was £100 a night for 2 people, pricey I thought but cheap compared to staying in town. There was a fab diner 2 minutes up the road called Petes Diner. Food was lovely, very reasonable, huge portions and open 24hrs a day! And theres a McDonalds next door if you are really hard up. If I ever went back to NY I would stay here again without a doubt. The receptionist was very nice and helpful, but even if she wasn't you only see them for like 5 minutes when you check in so who cares?!! Loved it.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
New Delhi, India
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2013

We booked this hotel last minute while on the road just hours before arriving as everything else was booked. The room we had was clean but very small and cramped. No turn down service in two days, no towels changed, absolutely no signs of any kind of housekeeping. The coffee maker in our room was not working but the front desk just told us that the hotel was full and they can do nothing about it. The breakfast room is too tiny, the breakfast spread is below average. The staff's attitude is totally indifferent, they don't extend AAA discounts which all La Quintas do. It felt like a fake La Quinta hotel, we had a delightful stay just a week before this at the La Quinta at Chapel Hill in Durham .Good thing is onsite parking and proximity to the subway. That is all the reason why someone might live here.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Knoxville,Tn
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2013

The La Quinta on Queens Blvd. is easy to find and very convenient to all NYC points due to it's close location to the 7 train. Room was clean and quiet. Parking of course is very limited but there is at least some parking.Price is very good when you compare to other NYC hotels.The only oddity is that the elevator does not go to the ground floor. In order to get your bags to the elevator, which starts on the 2nd floor, you must use a small service elevator(just large enough for bags) for getting the bags to the 2nd floor and then the main passenger elevator.Overall a good choice for any NYC stay.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
West Valley City, Utah
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2013

We had this hotel booked for over 6 months. When we arrived, we were told that our credit card was declined. They then made us move to another hotel. When I was able to contact my credit card company I found out that the reason it was declined was due to a mistake of having the wrong expiration date. I was also told that they only tried to run the card once! They never tried to call me to fix the problem. Once the card was declined, they cancelled my reservation! Stay away from this hotel! Very poor customer service!

Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2013

If you're looking for a cheap stay while in New York this might be right up your street! The hotel is fine, near the subway (7) which is handy for the city. Our air-con unit had to be replaced after it packed up, and the window wouldn't open. We asked a few times to have this sorted but the staff seemed a little reluctant, so after the window failed to open the second time we left it.

Worth a stay though if you're on a budget!

Room Tip: Ask for a city view, otherwise you'll be overlooked McDonald's or the parking lot!
1 Thank Kim F
Fulton, TX
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2013

The room cost me 15,000 points plus $60 per night - exorbitant! At one time my below street level room must have been a decent size. They then tiled half the floor and put in a Jacuzzi style tub, making the room quite small. Besides the extremely comfortable bed, the room had a TV (not flat screen), a desk, wooden wardrobe, small refrigerator , 3 drawers, 2 night stands and an upholstered chair. The drawers would not open because the chair was in the way. The chair was needed to stand on to reach the A/C controls- the A/C was placed in the sliver of window above ground - above my head.
I checked in late on a Thursday night and fell into bed at once. Always when I check into a La Quinta I am given a welcome package with a bottle of water and some nibblies. Not here. Friday morning I go to take a shower and discover I have no wash cloths. That day and every other morning -3 more- I had to request washcloths. They were never supplied. Then I discovered neither the refrigerator or electrical outlet in bathroom were working. They fixed the fridge which had no controls and it froze anything I put into it, but there was still no working outlet in the bathroom. There was no clock and no phone by the bed. Also, being below ground the room was dark and the desk had no lamp. They did manage to find one for me.
Usually, La Quintas have a sign in the room saying if you forgot to pack something come to the front desk for it. I popped a button and had forgotten to pack a needle and thread. When I asked at the desk for one, I was told there was a dollar store a couple of blocks away.
I got a parking permit from them showing I was a guest at the hotel and parked in a designated handicapped spot. Someone without such a pass continually parked illegally blocking me in. When I asked the clerk if he knew whose car it was, he looked out at it and commented they didn't have a permit to park on hotel property, but he was unable to do anything about it. I asked for paper to write a note I was going to place on the car. After I wrote it, the clerk said I would have to sign it so he wouldn't be blamed.
On my last morning, Monday, I asked about printing my boarding pass. I was told "we have computers but no printers". I guess it was too much to expect them to print it behind the desk as any hotel which cared about its guests would.
Without a doubt this was the worst hotel service I have ever encountered and I travel extensively. I have complained to corporate headquarters and suggested they revoke the franchise agreement which is putting such a blot on their fine name.

Room Tip: Only way to get a good room is to stay elsewhere.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank MsEnroller
Hillsboro, Oregon
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2013

My wife and I stayed at this hotel for three reasons: the hotel is cheaper than hotels in Manhattan, the hotel is a 20-minute subway ride to Time Square, and we were going to use our La Quinta points. Sadly, we did not get to use our La Quinta points on this hotel for a free night. The hotel is privately own with the La Quinta name and allocate a limited number of rooms that can be used with La Quinta points. The room serves it purpose. It was clean. The complimentary breakfast could be better. The breakfast room needs more tables. The overall rating is average because the hotel is a typical hotel chain in the United States.

1 Thank ganderandgoose