“wanted to love this place”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Masso

Masso
Ranked #190 of 276 Restaurants in Long Island City
Price range: US$30 - US$30
Cuisines: Italian, Bar, European
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 11 th
Transit: #7 train to Vernon /Jackson Ave walk 2 blocks to 47th Road.
new york city
“wanted to love this place”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2013 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

i live down the street and i really really wanted to like this place. it's looks super charming inside and out. there's a good dinner deal during the week. and the hostess is always so nice. BUT the service has been really bad the last few time (language issues?) and the food is mediocre at best. we ordered a bloody mary once that was undrinkable! sent back and we were still charge for it. and without the dinner deals, the prices are high, esp for the quality of food. i could live with mediocre place if the prices were reasonable and it was for a quick bite in a cozy setting, but it's not that. truly dissappointing :(

Visited September 2013

Berks County, PA
“Outdoor seating looked inviting”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2013

We recently ate at Masso on Vernon Boulevard in Long Island City. We had checked in later than expected at our hotel and walked down Vernon Boulevard to find a late dinner. It was a pleasant fall evening and we decided to choose Masso because there was outside dining.

As it turned out, the outside dining area was extremely dark. We could barely read the menus. Some tables had candles, but ours did not and there was very limited lighting. Occasionally the entire area would be sharply illuminated as a car turned in a certain direction.

The staff was friendly and attentive.

My husband ordered one of the day's specials which was a pasta dish with sun-dried tomatoes and sausage. I also chose a special--hanger steak with mushrooms. My steak was a little on the tough side and my husband said his pasta was average.

Overall, I feel that "average" described the food and the atmosphere--hence my rating of 3 stars.

• Visited September 2013
“Cozy and cheap”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2013

I had lunch this week. A delicious spinach salad which was enough for a meal, accompanied with a glass of champagne and a wonderful brownie cheese cake...out of this world!!!!!
Try it!

• Visited August 2013
Fairfax, Virginia
“Excellent for brunch”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2013

I hardly ever give a 5 for restaurants but I found the prosciutto eggs benedict to be great. Many places do eggs benedict and they hardly ever get it right, Masso had it as a special and I asked for added spinach. It was done perfectly, with just the right amount of hollandaise sauce and truly crispy prosciutto that gave it a salty crunch balanced with some healthy spinach.
We didn't have drinks so I can't speak for the bar just the eggs benedict.
The service was exceptional, our waitress was friendly and attentive.

• Visited July 2013
UK
“Pleasantly Surprised”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2013

I had dinner at Masso in July 2013. I ordered the Lentil Soup as a starter, and had a pasta Carbonara dish as my main. The soup was delicious - lots of flavour and was very filling. The pasta dish was nice too and by the end I was absolutely stuffed.

The waitress was very attentive and prompt - I was very impressed with the standard of the table service. The meals came out quickly.

Overall, I would definitely go back again. I am surprised at some of the more negative reviews this place has attracted already. I didn't really see anything to warrant a negative critique.

One word of warning - they only accept Amex or Cash as payment.

• Visited July 2013