“Short kayak carry and wonderful waters” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Lake Lila Primitive Area

San Francisco, California
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Short kayak carry and wonderful waters”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2012

The long drive in from the highway is worth the trip - bring your bathing suit for a swim to the island from the beach at end of the 0.3 mile carry path. Watch for little green frogs hanging out in the rocks at the edge of the beach. They are so cute! And do take your netting and/or bug spray.

Visited July 2012
4 Thank JustPerfect10

Ardmore, Pennsylvania
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“Don't go here. It's SO awesome I don't want it getting too popular. :)”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2011

OK...the title was a bit misleading, but that's because I'm torn about my experience. I REALLY want to share this little treasure with the world, but at what cost to the amazing and unique experience of remote, primitive camping that I enjoyed this summer at Lake Lila? A few tips: First of all, if you car isn't up to it, don't try this. I drive a reasonably sturdy and well-maintained pickup truck, and even I had alignment, brake, and power steering issues after this trip. The drive in is many miles from the nearest paved road, and even though it's marked "15 MPH", you'd be a fool to go that fast. It's SO remote...we timed a trip to just go get gas and some newspaper at the closest little store...from the time we got in the vehicle til the time we got back, including only about 5 minutes at the little store, it was a 2.5-hour round trip!!! Not that far as the crow flies, but they keep it inaccessible on purpose. Around 90% of the campsites are boat-in only...we lucked out and chose site #1, which is a short 10-minute hike through the woods along the lake's edge from the launch beach. The beach, however, is a 20-minute slog through mud and over roots and logs and bridges...an easy hike if you're not carrying anything but a nightmare if you need to lug anything in the heat of summer. PACK LIGHT!!! I cannot stress this enough!!! Our campsite included a little area we called our "front porch", where we set up chairs and watched the other campers paddle by every now and then. Sites are very well maintained but still kept their primitive character above all. A latrine and a fire ring...that's it. Please go enjoy this, but keep it to yourself, clean up after yourself, and DON'T come with a big party. This is not an experience for the casual camper. This place is pristine but you have to WANT it. This is not an easy camping trip by any measure...but it was easily one of my favorites!

Visited July 2011