“Love/hate relationship”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Long Lake
Adirondack Hotel on Long Lake
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Long Lake
Upstate, New York
“Love/hate relationship”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2011

Loved the town and the area. The hotel porch was wonderful to sit on and watch the water. A band played in the town park across the street and we very much enjoyed the music. However, the hotel was extremely overpriced at $120/night. The room was very small. Just room enough for full size bed, dresser and small chair. Bathroom sink area (stuck between the wall and the shower stall) was so small that I had to step back in front of the "john" just to get enough room to raise my arms to dry my hair (and no, I'm not fat)! There was no fan in the bathroom (and with the bedroom so small, this should be a "must"). Shower stall leaked all over the bathroom floor and from the look of the ceiling above us, so did the one upstairs. Parking was nearly impossible, especially on our second night when there was a wedding reception. Guests are left to fight for a parking space and if you do manage to find one, it's so tight, you'll worry all night if your car will be damaged before morning. Dinner reservations were a joke. We made reservations for 8:00pm and were never seated for dinner unil nearly 9:30. However, dinner (Filet Mignon with mushroom cream sauce) was absolutely the finest I've ever had, which made up for some of the wait time. Still it was aggravating. Loved the Adirondack Museum and Racqette Lake Navigation lunch cruise!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sprocket

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Port Byron, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2011

We are from Syracuse area and we ride a motorcycle past this hotel a couple of times a year. From the outside it looks very inviting (very 'Adirondack' flavor), and rode the 5 hours to get here. I made the reservations anyway, even though the reviews were not exactly perfect. We found the hotel staff were very friendly and were always available. The outdoor BBQ on the back deck was very good. I had the BBQ ribs and she had the smoked salmon. We got to meet a number of other people staying here on motorcycles as well. Though this place is 'motorcycle friendly', this place is by no means a 'biker bar' or a 'biker hole'. Most people staying were in cars, and from many different life styles.

The rooms do not have TV, telephones, or air conditioning. They were clean and well maintained, and 'rustic feeling' with the quilt on the bed. The shower was very small. We recommend our room (room 17) as it was on the 2nd floor on the corner overlooking the lake from 2 directions, and we had our own bathroom. There are ceiling fans in every room, and our room had the cross ventilation from 2 windows. There is free WiFi, not the fastest - but you can check email and FB your friends. We enjoyed a cold beverage on the 1st and 2nd floor porches, while watching the sunset over Long Lake. A nice and quiet getaway, as there were a just a few souvenir shops and a public beach across the street. Plane rides looked tempting, but they stopped flying early.

All in all, we highly recommend this place. It was perfect for us (as a couple looking for a quiet getaway), and there were plenty of people in the lounge if you wanted to socialize. Just a warning, there is only AT&T cell service there, no Verizon or Sprint service. Not many places still have a big moose head above the front desk and a big black bear standing watch in the lobby.

Room Tip: We loved our room (#17), as it had a great view from 2 directions, and cross ventilation.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mike_On_A_Bike_13140
Girard, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2011

Pros-None. Cons - endless. This hotel was supposed to be a historic hotel. Felt more like a haunted house. Our 'suite' carpet was so filthy that we never took our shoes off till we laid down for bed. The wallpaper which was everywhere was literally rolling off the walls. The bathroom faucet was not even attached to the sink. You had to hold it in place with one hand so you could turn the faucet on and off. It was so noisy in the rooms that we had to wait until the bar closed downstairs at 2:00 to think about sleeping. You could not hear the tv in the room over the noise from downstairs. We had 'sadie's suite' which was two bedrooms and my daughter ended up sleeping on the couch in our room because it was even noiser in her room. My husband slept with earplugs in. No management available in the evenings. We had paid for two nights and left after the first night as soon as we got up in the morning. Do not stay here.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank cbojewski
Yonkers, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2011

Over-priced, filthy, worst bed and mattress I may have ever slept on. It was noisy from the bar downstairs that remained open well into the night. My husband experienced better bathrooms in China and India. He refused to step into the gross shower. The one bedside table lamp flickered (electricity was horrible, no where to charge anything). Peeling paint.

The room reminded me of a homeless shelter I used to work in. It was an SRO. Kerri (?) receptionist: rude. Owners cheap and refused to refund second night even though Irene forced a mandatory evacuation of Long Lake Camp.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank brenda d
USA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2011

DONT eat here. I thought you had to be in South America to be served instant coffee
and the sandwich I had tasted like it was dog meat that had been microwaved but not cooked. The waitress was a grouchy twit who seemed to know how bad the food was.
You could tell she was tired of the bad reactions to the food. Skip this place.
There is a decent diner in town but it closes around 2 pm at least for lunch.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank trav3908
Woodbury, Connecticut
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2011

We were traveling through the Adirondacks after staying in Saratoga Springs for a few days for a much needed vacation when we decided it was too late to start home. We saw the hotel and read the mixed reviews bit decided to give it a try. We love old inns and are willing to deal with no modern conveniences.

It was June 1st, the start of the season. It was also Wednesday. The bar was busy but the hotel was empty. I had called earlier in the afternoon and was assured that there were plenty of rooms and that I didn't need a reservation.

A waitress came over to us after a few minutes and asked if she could help us. I told her I had called about a room. She went into the bar and spoke to someone. Then she came back and offered for is to see a room and that the rate was $120.00 I asked if that was the best they could do since the hotel was empty and yesterday the rate was $80.00 I was told that was the rate since the season starts on June 1st.
So we went to see the room, it was clean, the bed was so soft that when you laid on it you roll into the center!

We saw other rooms as all the doors were open and decided to stay any way if we could have a different room.

Well, when we went back to the desk no one came to talk to is. The bar was noisy and we went in but no one asked if they could help. The waitress saw us several times waiting at the desk but ignored us. We left the key on the desk after waiting for service after 20 minutes! If you need a friendly reasonable place to stay in Long Lake drive 3 minutes away and stay at the Shamrock Motel and cottages! It has comfortable beds, tv, refrigerators, a beach, lake views and knowledgable helpful friendly staff!

• Stayed June 2011
5 Thank Emily M
Albany, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2010

Ok not even sure where to start. We where spendng a special weekend in the Adirondacks for my S/O's 50th Birthday. So I wanted someplace special for dinner. When we arrived it was not busy. There was a clerk behind the desk who didnt even look at us just made notes on a clipboard, then walked out. Next a woman appears, doesnt look at us and says what can I do for you? OK 2 for dinner? Asks where we want to eat, I guess we chose the fly infested cafe. (OK Northeast, warm fall day it happens) From there we were greeted by our waitress who seems nice enough but neither speaks or understands english very well. She trys to explain the specials which we got thru. She gave us the wine list. After coming back 3 times only to tell us our selection is not available, I simply ordered a glass of house Pinot Noir, which was not Pinot Noir, my boyfriend opted for a beer, with lime, yup she forgot the lime. Still we were ok. We ordered our meals. Thank god we ordered appetizers. It took over an hour to be served, people had been seated and left after us. Finally our meals come not as they were ordered and cold! Since it was a special occasion we had not complained and were just going with it. After a couple bites we decided we couldnt even eat it. When the waitress finally came back and asked us if we wanted it wrapped we politely told her just to bring the ck, that we couldnt even eat this. And she disappears again. After 10-15 minutes, which seemed like an hr, we walked out to the lobby. Where we saw her talking to the woman at the front desk and said right in front of us"They are the ones I was telling you about" Honestly we laughed and just wanted to get out of there. The woman at the desk became very combative because we ate the appetizers and had 2 drinks..and just wanted to give us a discount. #1. Not even an I so sorry. #2 I wasnt looking for a discount. I asked to speak to the owner, yup wait for it...She was the owner..Didnt even care. Needless to say I would never go back. During our wait we over heard guests form the hotel complaining and an other gentleman complaining about a burger. Its a shame that this place is so run down and is owned by such rude and uncaring people. Wish I had visited years ago before these people purchased it. I would highly recommend the Shamrock hotel and the little bar/grill right across the bridge.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank mkm0526

Been to Adirondack Hotel on Long Lake? Share your experiences!