Adirondack Hotel on Long Lake
All reviewsgarlic friesstep back in timesecond floor balconyfront porchgreat funnice restaurantlove this placelong weekendbeautiful viewadirondackdiamondmicrobrewsyesteryearvictoriancompanioncommunitystate
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 19 September 2013

We visited the Hotel for dinner this week. I had hoped for a historic inn. We found a run down diamond in the rough. There were no warm and fuzzies here. We were quickly taken to a table, our waitress did come over in a relatively reasonable amount of time. We were welcomed with a list of things that they didn't have. The menu is pretty small, so this decreased our selections. We placed our order and waited.

We ordered the Cafe Burger and Haddock sandwich and an order of onion rings. Nothing was spectacular. Most of it had no taste. It was basic. The lettuce and tomato on the sandwiches were shameful. When I asked for mayo and a few pickles (which were to be included) I was told, oh, we must be out of those. What kind of place runs out of pickles? $9 for a cheeseburger is a little much for the quality of what was on the plate.

I just felt like I couldn't get out of there fast enough. The dining room was dingy, dusty and just not welcoming. Regulars are catered to at a different level than tourists. It's very obvious. The view was decent, but the window were filthy and made it hard to see anything. It's such a shame that such a historic and beautiful place has left so run down and in need of repair.

The place needs a good scrub and a more frequent food delivery.

Room Tip: Keep driving NORTH!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Skbqc
Reviewed 4 September 2013

First off, let's get the negatives out of the way. The Adirondack Hotel is over a hundred years old. In its heyday the accommodations may have been considered "luxurious" , however in comparison with today's hotels, the rooms are tiny, the beds aren't the most comfortable and the entire hotel has a slightly tattered and "worn about the ears" vibe. I've encountered $40 a night motels with nicer rooms. If it is all about the room for you, you probably will be disappointed.

What this place has might be called charm, history, or whatever, but it has that intangible something that makes you feel a part of something bigger than just staying in a hotel. You might be sleeping in the same room that Helen Keller or MIckey Mantle did and dining in the same room as Teddy Roosevelt. It's stepping back to a simpler time. Heck cell phone reception isn't a given as it seems to come and go and even the hotel's wireless network doesn't reach much of the building.

The restaurant serves solid food. Nothing spectacular, but the
take on usual pub food with added attention and fresh ingredients is nice. Try the garlic fries, they are to die for (perhaps literally considering the probable fat and sodium levels). Burgers, wings are good and there is an excellent BBQ rib and chicken special on Weds and Saturdays. In warmer months an outdoor dining area is available. The bar is cozy. There is a small but excellent selection of beer, including some regional micro brews.

The staff is incredibly friendly and accommodating and you might find yourself hanging out with some of them on the porch after their day is done. This is a place where the sum is greater than its parts. Stay here and step back into time.

Room Tip: If you want to sleep late avoid the rooms in the back that overlook the kitchen entrance. There is a lot of noisy, early morning action out there.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Brian S
Reviewed 24 August 2013

Only stay here if you enjoy a bar that stays open until 3am. Only stay here if you enjoy other quests sitting on the shared porch outside you room's window, drunk & smoking, talking loudly at all hours that suit their own needs without any thoughts that a few feet away are other guest's windows. This was "okay" (not really) until at 2am a group of the bar patrons, I assume hotels quests also, decided to hang out on the porch. Not conducive to sleep. I decided to not take on the drunks, I was too angry and they drunk - they finally went their way, but the bar remained hopping until 3am - the sounds and people spill over into the front parking area which the rooms overlook. We only stayed here to be close to Long Lake Camp for the Performing Arts. Last yr we stayed at the Shamrock, will again next yr.
> As to the food - boring, poorly done - everything we tried. Nothing cooked as order Rare = well done and Medium = rare AND it takes so long to even take an order that sending food back is too scary an option, after waiting 30 minutes just for a bottle of beer, a glass of wine and, a coke. My sons steak was burned (charred some might possibly call it) he could only eat half of it. And it seems odd that there is haddock, scallops and lobster on the menu - I guess there are actually no locate fish available? Are there no trout left in the lakes and streams, hardly. Lobster sells for $2.20 a lb at the dock and $20.00 a pop here, nice. Yes please serve me lobster on a Lake in the mountains. Anyone that likes the food here must be also lining up at the Olive Garden on date night, thinking that food is great. And it is better than this places.
The wait staff are friendly. They also oddly enough do not have enough menus, so even if you have a res they will have you wait, "until we have menus." I simply questioned this by saying, " Can't we at least order our drinks?" Lightbulb moment.

Room Tip: not here at all.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
11  Thank Mike A
Reviewed 16 August 2013

We stayed in this hotel last weekendin the apartment, was not expecting much from the lack of website pictures and for a very good reason. The place is old and so are all the fixtures broken mirrors, lack of lighting fea ridden stuffed black bear in lobby! Old is the best way to describe it and don't sit on the stuffed chairs they have loose covers on them to hide what's underneath. Couldn't see out of one window for the spider web. I think this is just a place people stop at on their way through!

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Rhodesianridge
Reviewed 15 August 2013

I have eaten at the hotel many times over the years when visiting Long Lake at least once a year. But never stayed there.
They do have a noisy bar and I think many of the complaints I have read from other members here on trip advisor are probably on point. It would be awfully hot without a/c on the upper floors.

The food is always good. I had the pork medallions. Very nicely done. Friends had scallops, fish sandwich, and burger. Everyone was fine with their food. Service was very good. waiter did a nice job, pleasant and attentive. They do give a full glass of wine ( most restaurants only fill the glass half full!)

I would love to see the hotel improved upon and updated a bit. Looking a bit worn for wear in the lobby area.

Long Lake is a lovely little town and the views are gorgeous. there are other places to stay that would be better. Don't let your experience staying in the hotel reflect upon Long lake as a whole.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends