“Best "real" sushi in Westchester” 5 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Dining options: Waitstaff
Dining options: Waitstaff
New York City, New York
“Best "real" sushi in Westchester”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2012

We love this little place because they consistently deliver excellent and fresh varieties of Japanese food in a space that is not pretentious. Just simple wood floor, with simple tables and chairs.

No loud music or fanfare at the bar, because they only have a sushi bar, not a drink bar.
That is probably why the noise level is always decent.

They stick to what they know and do it really well.

Delivery is always prompt and packed so nothing ever spills.

• Visited September 2012

Dayton, Ohio, United States
“One favorite sushi bar!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2012

We first found Toyo around six years ago and have returned several times, most recently yesterday. In recent years I have decided that I will no longer eat sushi or shashimi from just any old place--it needs to come from a restaurant that specializes and where I trust the skill and level of ingredients. Toyo is as good as any I've found, and I intend to continue to eat there when I'm in the area.

They're located in a storefront among many of the other fine or locally beloved Mamaroneck eateries. The decor is calming, lots of medium wood tones and faux plants--a bit like sitting in a huge bento box, I think. The wait staff is constantly attentive and friendly.

On the latest visit, we lunched on hand rolls and special rolls. My favorite is the simple eel and cucumber hand roll, a nice balance of clean-tasting ingredients. We also had the futo maki and the spicy seafood, both excellent. My wife finished with the Toyo roll, a composite of spicy tuna, king crab, avacado, and tempura crunch; she raved about it and I think she's correct. Another interesting item are their Japanese sodas, which come in a bottle that we couldn't figure out how to open at first--you have to push a glass marble down into the bottle--the soda was delicious!

They also offer a range of oriental entrees, appetizers, and soups and salads--maybe if I get back a dozen more times I'll venture onto that part of the menu and I expect it will be just as great as the sushi. For the present, however, the sushi is so first-rate that I would hate to limit my consumption..

• Visited June 2012
Mamaroneck, New York
“Always Fresh!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2012

Toyo has the freshest sushi on the avenue -- and the best prices.
The noise level is unbearable at times, but the food makes it worth it...or take it to go!

Visited March 2012
New York
“Good food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2009

Love the lunch..Bento Box especially. Have the lunch specials Mon-Sat. They will make substitutions at no additional cost. Dinner is good too. Staff is attentive, maybe a little too much and wants to take away your tray a little too fast...even though it is not crowded. Always refills water without you having to ask.

Westchester, NY
“Good food, simple modern decor.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2008

The Japanese soda was an excellent beverage choice! I had the crab appetizer, it was that processed crab stick meat not impressive, my wife had the shrimp and octopus appetizer which was quite good and deliciously fresh. I had the Chicken Negimaki which was VERY good! My wife had the Scallop Teriyaki which had a large amount of bay scallops that were perfectly cooked. The soup was mediocre and the servers all worked together but made the experience seem rushed.