“excellent”
Review of Bar'Lees

Bar'Lees
Reserve with OpenTable
Bar'Lees is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #9 of 83 Restaurants in Mamaroneck
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
New York City, New York
“excellent”
Reviewed 20 December 2013

great wine bar to relax and enjoy a good glass of wine. very friendly staff and owners who know their stuff. consistantly good
and enjoyable. sophisticated in the best possible way.

• Visited December 2013
4 Thank stephen r

Norwalk, Connecticut
“Very Enjoyable Food & Entertainment”
Reviewed 18 November 2013

I discovered this place when I heard about comedy nights they occasionally host on Sundays. I have now been to two, and enjoyed them both very much.

The space is very intimate, cozy, and relaxed, and all of the staff are warm and personable. The atmosphere lends itself perfectly to low-key stand-up comedy. Both of the shows I saw were excellent. One was seven comedians doing short sets, the other was an emcee and two comedians doing long sets. The cover charge ($10-$15, but note it is cash only) is very reasonable and the entertainment is a bargain.

While the food is good, the problem is that the menu is very limited. I could swear last month there was a different menu with many more choices. Last night there were only bar bites, four salads, pizza, and desserts. I would like to see sandwiches and entrees on the menu. In fact if they continue to do comedy nights, it would be nice to be able to reserve "dinner + show" packages at the tables in the front of the room.

I'm very glad I discovered this place, and plan to go back often in the future.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank shell202020
New York City, New York
“consistently excellent”
Reviewed 4 November 2013

Since I live nearby, I've returned to Bar'Lees several times since my initial review in February. How many times can you say that every experience at a particular restaurant is excellent? Bar'Lees manages to hit that standard. The atmosphere created by owner Colin is friendly yet elegant. The staff is wonderful. Wines and whiskeys are their specialty. You can have a taste of a particular wine to see if you like it. My most recent visit was on the weekend before Halloween - fun but laid-back environment and you can actually hear yourself talk. However, I suppose on their music or comedy nights, it's a bit noisier. In terms of food, on my last visit, I split a mushroom pizza with a friend and it was very good. It can be a little on the pricey side - wines by the glass running $9 to $10 and up.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank Sally60763
Rye, New York
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Good addition”
Reviewed 10 August 2013

Nice atmosphere, extremely quiet, good wine selection, a little pricey. Otherwise a nice addition to the avenue. Worth the visit.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank John123C
Dayton, Ohio, United States
“Delightful, quirky”
Reviewed 12 June 2013

We wound up at Bar'Lees because our favorite Mamaroneck Sushi place, Toyo, seems to have been bought out by the oriental place next door--and though they said they'd retained the sushi menu, it doesn't inspire confidence when one of the items is "sushi pizza". So we made our way to the nearest highly-rated place according to TripAdvisor; my wife had had a trying day and she wanted a leisurely, peaceful light dinner and a couple of drinks.

We arrived early in the evening and thought the door was locked--Colin the proprietor, noticed and helped us in. He graciously engaged us in conversation--he's an immigrant from Perth, Australia, an American now for six years, The Aussie vibe can be felt in the place--service is attentive yet slow, the decor is a lovely mix of muted colors and vibrant ones, great lighting fixtures, comfy seating options.

The place is a genuine whisky bar--they specialize in some fine and rare scotches and a range of other whiskies. Their wine list is also extensive. We were, however, in the mood for beer, and they do stock a modest assortment of craft brews which satisfied our wants.

The food is upscale bar food; pizza and panini, appetizers and charcuterie boards. It seems to me that the kitchen is run skillfully and cleverly--the dishes seem to be put together on order but using ingredients that can be prepped to make finishing easy.

We started with the meatball appetizer. Four ordinary meatballs, each pierced with a bamboo drink pick, were glorified by a thick spicy tomato sauce and shaved Asiago cheese. My only reservation was that it was difficult to smear up enough of the sauce, I think it would be better to pour the sauce on top of the meatballs--where it would also help keep the cheese attached.

We were, by fortune, there on Tuesday, which is taco night--two tacos and a wine selection for $15. They were willing to sub beer for the wine. There are five taco selections, all incorporating some type of meat and a slaw on a soft flour tortilla. My wife and I both went for the red-meat options; prime rib and Moroccan lamb. Absolutely scrumptious; the prime rib was meaty, and the lamb was well spiced and served with olives in the slaw.

So, my score here is a five rating for being excellent at what they are--a whisky bar with some super food options. I'll imagine that as the evening progresses, the place fills up with people wanting to sample a few single-malts; from what I saw that night, those arriving seemed to be (ahem) mature couples and single women. All in all, a classy place, as comfortable as an easy chair.

• Visited June 2013