“cheap hotel near the airport”

3Ds International Tourist Home
Reviewed 27 January 2014

Decided to book a room here while we would arrive late on Mauritius and din't want to drive a long time. Centrally in Mahebourg, very average hotel, quite big rooms, with small bath room.
Just a very short stay here.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank evz32

Reviewed 25 December 2013

Deelan nearly caused us to miss our International flight!

Pretty nice stay, and a nice guy, but be CAREFUL if you are getting Deelan to take you anywhere touristic on day of flight.

We got to airport at 2pm exactly for a 2.30 pm International departing fight. I kid you not - THIRTY minutes before, and it was a once a day flight.

In most cases (99.999999999999999999999999%) you totally miss your flight. This was an Air Mauritius Airbus A340, with 300 seats and they do NOT keep them around waiting for pax.

We had been on a paid tour to the other side for the island to see the nice beaches. I asked how long it was back to airport side and Deelan said “45 minutes”. Traffic was light.

It took 90 minutes even driving like Sebastian Vettel. Really BAD planning for a local to make.

BEGGED to get onto plane and luckily the woman I asked was the most senior there, and she said “RUN”.

Average place to stay .. nice staff but internet stuffed, and took 4 of them them an hour to re-jig my computer to get access sorted.

Airport is a lonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng way to Port Louis, so for an overnight connection, a good option.

An especially dumb name for a Hotel. “3ds” comes from 3 brothers with letter D of their first name. How sweet, but really dumb choice guys.

“Mauritius Airport Lodge” would be a far savvier choice.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 December 2013

This would be the worst hotel I have stayed in for years. I read some good reviews on the hotel and all I can conclude is the owner wrote them , or someone they know.
It was crazy decore, a thousand odd tiles on floor and walls, maintenance jobs half done all over the place, horrible coffee for breakfast, hotel located in a very depressed area.
The owners were friendly enough, but despite requesting the AC in our room stay on, they kept turning it off. Silly bathroom setup.
Old rubbish inside cupboard and draws.

Room Tip: There probably is no such thing at this hotel, go to another hotel.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Al H
Reviewed 30 November 2013

We stayed at the 3Ds Tourist home on our first day in Mauritius after a long journey. We wanted to stay somewhere close to the airport so we could get some sleep before continuing on to another resort.

We found it affordable, and the service spectacular for our one night stay.

We aren't saying it is a 4-star hotel, but it was great for what we needed which was a reasonably priced hotel, near the airport.

Despite the 3d Tourist home not being a 4-star hotel, we found the service 5 star. The owners were very kind, polite and extremely friendly.

They even offered to pick us up from the airport.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Melissa L
Reviewed 31 October 2013

I was staying in Mauritius as a stopover on my way from Australia to Europe and just wanted a place close to the airport to rest and this hotel fit the bill perfectly. They picked me up from the airport, drove me to get some takeaway for dinner and carried all my luggage up the stairs. The next day I didn't depart until 10pm, but they let me keep the room until my airport transfer and spent the day taking me to some local attractions (all at no extra charge) and to a encounter with some lion cubs that really made the trip special.

Free wi-fi in the room (which was a good speed) and very helpful staff willing to help with whatever I needed.

Very happy.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank foxygirlACT
Reviewed 12 July 2013

During a 36-hour stopover in Mauritius I was looking for reasonably priced accommodation near the airport and an opportunity to see a bit of the island. 3Ds offered both. I was picked up from the airport by Deelan who together with his family runs the hotel, or Tourist Home, and who also offered his services as a tour guide for the next day. 3Ds is located in a residential area, so don't expect any great views nor the usual tourist amenities. I was warmly welcomed, and as soon as I entered the premises I was reminded of the excellent movie The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel, which I had watched on my flight over. 3Ds is a work in progress. My first-floor room had what appeared to be a newly installed shower and toilet. There was also a flat screen TV with very adventurous wiring around it. I failed to get reception, but that might have been me. The bed was big and comfortable. There was plenty of lighting and seating. To prevent the neighbours from looking in, all the curtains were drawn. It was not a room I'd want to spend a whole day in, but it was great for a bit of a rest and a good night's sleep. I had booked it for two nights, although I didn't really need it on the second day as I was touring the island with Deelan for most of that day. Still, it was good to come back to to freshen up before my long flight home. Breakfast was served on the third-floor terrace which, in spite of the washing hanging out to dry, was much more attractive than my own terrace. I was perfectly happy with my continental-style breakfast, and there was plenty of it. I can certainly recommend 3Ds for a 1- or 2-night stopover, or longer if you are budget-conscious and not looking for a beach holiday. Deelan is a mine of information and you will learn a lot about Mauritius if you go on a tour with him. I'm really glad that I decided to spend a day on the island on my way home to Australia.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank lutzy
Reviewed 30 April 2013

My husband and I had a short stop over in Mauritius this month and we needed somewhere close to the airport. What a beautifully run family business. Transfers included, gorgeous room, breakfast included on the roof top terrace and even drove us somewhere beautiful for dinner, all of this was no hassle and was very reasonably priced. Thank you so much.

Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple