“Memorable Island Holiday...”

Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Mahebourg
Ceres, South Africa
“Memorable Island Holiday...”
Reviewed 18 October 2013 via mobile

Mauritius is rigged towards the tourism industry and one would expect that they have everything sorted. Well we were not disappointed at all. Talk about a well oiled machine! Food was great and plentiful (our diets did not last long!!), accomodation was spacious, clean and comfortable. There is something about cocktails on an island beach that cannot be replicated anywhere else. Our Christmas there was very special and the nightly entertainment varied widely, allowing us a glimpse of the local cultures as well. Service was friendly and requests were promptly and efficiently addressed. Make time to rent a car or motorbike to see the everyday Mauritius, it is well worth it! The level of activities depends on yourself. We went from lying on the beach to parasailing and doing an 'island hopping' motor boat excursion. Make the best of every minute you are there, there are certainly enough activities available to holiday makers. Preskil Beach Resort is certainly a place that I will recommend!

Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Pierre v

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (419)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Corleone
Reviewed 16 October 2013

I'm actually here at the minute and finding it hard to contain my anger. We have a lagoon room and it is a long way off a 4 star hotel. Perhaps they have a different star rating to us but I can only compare it to other hotels I've been too and I would genuinely rate it at 2 star. The room we have is awful. The paint looks like it's been applied with a trowel and the wet room resembles something from a prison. The grouting on the tiles is mouldy and the tiling itself must have been done by a 5 yr old. Wiring on the lamps is dangerous and exposed.
Then we come to the food. I have eaten across the world from street vendors to high class restaurants and the buffet here is genuinely some of the worst food I've ever tasted. Bland, cold and over cooked. You require a fine set of teeth to chew the meat it really leaves a lot to be desired. We paid an arm and a leg to stay here and it leaves a very bad taste in the mouth........literally!
And another thing do not expect fine silky white sand on the beach. I'm afraid it's the texture of coarse grit. Much like the food.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Ukhozikariega
Beverley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 October 2013

I have just returned from a holiday here and it was amazing. I travelled with my friend but also went for a wedding. The staff were extremely friendly and very welcoming from our arrival to our departure. I would recommend staying here to anyone but also would suggest staying all inclusive as you get more benefits and the charka's steak restaurant is included for an evening meal and it was lovely!! There is a good mixture of entertainment on a night and we really enjoyed it.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Hannah J
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 12 October 2013

Spent 7 days at the resort could not fault the staff ,hotel or food.
Beach has lots of coral so beware.
Weather was just coming into the summer period so there was a slight chill at night, days were warm with a slight wind. Facilities at hotel were very good only disappointment was the pools were being refurbished but the beach made up for it.

Room Tip: Ask for room over looking the beach.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank martin e
Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa
Reviewed 11 October 2013

we thoroughly enjoyed this resort on the south of the island. we were greeted like royalty, and throughout our stay we had a pleasant experience with the resort personnel. we especially enjoyed the boathouse personnel who always had a joke ready to entertain us. the part which we did not enjoyed were the negative effect of the South African / Mauritian currency rate. not favourable at all, which makes everything not included in package extremely expensive. the taxi's are all over the island, and very annoying, however very welcome when in need of one. overall, we would retun anytime as we really enjoyed our stay at Preskil.

Room Tip: handy to upgrade to a bigger lagoon room
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Petro K
Derbyshire
Reviewed 5 October 2013 via mobile

We stayed for 10 days last week in September first week of October. Going to this part of the island, my main concern was the weather, but I needn't worried it was good. Either end of our stay was windy, but the middle was hot and a lot calmer. We did see some expected rain but it certainly didn't spoil our enjoyment. I would recommend this time of year.

What was great about the location was that it was quiet and only a 15 minutes transfer from the airport after a long flight. You certainly don't notice the plane noise because of the prevailing wind. There are plenty of things to do if you want to get active and a lovely beach and pool area with plenty of sun beds available if you want to relax.

We went on the trip to the lie Aux Aigrettes from the hotel, which was very interesting and I did a tour with a driver while Mr J was fishing.

After contacting the hotel directly to enquire about fishing and check what the HB option covered I changed our booking with Kuoni to AI, because I have yet to rate a buffet restaurant as good. Maybe my expectations are too high, but by adding the AI option meant we also used Tapas Grill and Charka's, both of which are worth the extra payment. Service and food in both of these was excellent and met my expectations for a 4 star hotel. Spices food didn't, and service was no more than average and if we had stuck to half board I would have been dissapointed. Evening entertainment was very hit and miss, but given the multiple nationalities and ages of the residents, it will be difficult for any hotel to cater for all.

Minibar included soft drinks, using the rum was extra which was strange when you are on AI I thought...not a problem though we bought some lovely vanilla rum from the local supermarket which became our sundowner.

Our room was good, and faced the beach with the Tapas bar very close to the right. Very handy. The housekeepers were all lovely and very obliging. I rate them highly for service and cleanliness.

The brochure says the hotel does deep sea fishing, which they don't, but the hotel can arrange it for you. However when we enquired they suggested we ask our Kuoni representative, Brinda, who happily arranged this for us with a company an hours drive away. A hotel we have stayed at before, who advertised Deep sea fishing, had their own boats so in this case my expectations were not met, but the fishing was excellent so well worth the drive. See my review on Hookers.

Every one wants different things from a holiday but in my view, Half Board would not have suited us because we holiday to rest, eat good food and minimal "play". ie we don't go out every day. We don't drink much alcohol in the day (we do with dinner) but I think that AI worked for us financially.

To sum it up it was a good place to stay and would recommend.

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Juboash
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 25 September 2013

We were four ladies travelling with 2 elderly parents and enjoyed wonderful service all the way. The staff were friendly and attentive - anything we requested was no problem. We requested a downstairs room for my parents, as my mom cannot handle stairs, and they placed them on a very level lawned area that faced the beach. It was so easy for them to walk to the beach.
Rooms were clean, comfortable and we had amazing views of the lagoon. The gardens were beautiful and very well kept.
The resort offered a wide range of activities, and there was a lot to enjoy for everyone.
We were on half board basis as we wanted to be out some days on the tours out of the resort to either Port Louis or the Rum factory etc, so, we were able to get something to eat wherever we were for lunch. The dinners were fabulous, I enjoyed the Themed Evenings as well as the evening entertainment. As we were six adults, we used the taxi's that the hotel called for us, and it worked out very reasonable for six people to share. The taxi's were the seven seater vehicles, or a mini-bus that was very comfortable. The drivers were very knowledgeable regarding the area and about the places we visited. My best was that, on departure, we needed to be at the airport quite early in the morning. Our transport was to arrive at 6.00am in the morning. I was amazed to find that there was someone to provide breakfast for us at 5.00am in the morning. I had travelled before to other countries - where I had to leave very early in the morning to board an early morning flight, but had never been able to get breakfast so early. We were all very impressed. We had a lovely stay and will definitly return to Preskil Beach Resort. Very happy, thank you.

Room Tip: Rooms upstairs have a lovely view of the lagoon and the gardens.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Renee T
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mahebourg
Shandrani Beachcomber Resort & Spa
#3 of 5 in Balaclava
LUX* Belle Mare
LUX* Belle Mare
#1 of 12 in Belle Mare

Been to Preskil Beach Resort? Share your experiences!