“Excellent value for money”

Preskil Beach Resort
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Mahebourg
Northallerton, United Kingdom
“Excellent value for money”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2014

My husband and I recently stayed at Preskil on a Kuoni special offer and weren't disappointed.
We got off to a bad start when we arrived very early in the morning having not slept overnight, and had to wait until 2pm to access our room. I really feel the hotel should address this.
The minute we booked into our room however, we were happy. We were in a lagoon room with and excellent sea view and balcony. The room was very clean with a large bed and en-suite. We had lovely toiletries, tea and coffee making facilities and a mini bar which we were able to use to chill drinks we bought from the local supermarket.
We declined the all inclusive option and found that breakfast and evening meal was plenty for us. After reading trip advisor before we went, I was expecting drinks to be very expensive. Wine was available at £15 bottle ( there were many more expensive ones ) and beer at £2-20, which isn't unreasonable in a hotel. The local supermarket, a 20 min walk away, had a good selection of all drinks at reasonable prices.
Meals in the main Spices restaurant were all buffet style and there was an abundance of choice for starters and mains. Desserts weren't really to our liking so we just had extra starters or mains.
We had a disappointing meal at the steak house with poor service, but when we mentioned this, they asked us to give them a second chance, and we were given a night to remember, which certainly made up for our previous disappointment. Our evening dinner in a beach gazebo at the beach tapas bar was also a wonderful dining experience. We can thoroughly recommend the lobster and biggest prawns of our life.
Unlike the Maldives, there was plenty to do and see, and the island is beautiful with many interesting geological features. We preferred Mauritius to Barbados and will probably be back in the future. If you like warm turquoise sea, good food and drink with friendly people, this is the place for you.

Room Tip: If you book a lagoon room, ask for 1 with a sea view as some rooms at the back haven't got one...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (418)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Mauritius
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2014

My husband&I share the view that we had our best wedding anniversary this year, and it was a great deal thanks to our little getaway at Preskil Hotel. It's our third time there and they sure arranged to make our short stay a most memorable: the fruit basket, the anniversary cake at dinner and the hotel gifts, made us feel special and festive. Thank you for the great time there, you rock !!!

Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2014

Great location and facilities. Staff serviced started at excellent level, but as stay continued service dropped. Table staff very good initially but service slowed over time. Bed not rolled down after third night, mossie zapper not provided after fourth night. Needed to request free coffee to be replenished. Great place to stay, but improvement in staf service needed

1 Thank Rod L
St Peter Port, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2014

First of all I would like to say that I am a Travel Agent and have been lucky enough to Travel and stay in some Fantastic Hotels so when I go away I do a lot of research on where I would like to stay.

I saw the Preskil Beach resort being offered as a special offer with Kuoni , having used them few times for my own personal holidays I decided to quick check up on trip advisor to see what the Hotel was like and to read the reviews and I must say I was not disappointed , I quickly called a very good friend of mine that we travel with quite a bit and told her all about it and within an hour I was booking for the four of us to go and stay from the 08th of February.

We travelled over with British Airways and arrived at 0545 in the morning which isn't very pleasant especially as the Hotel is located on the South of the Island which was 15 minutes away from the Airport.

We arrived at the Hotel to be greeted with a nice cool fruit punch and we gave our passports in and were advised that normally we cannot get our rooms until between 12 and 1400 hours at this stage we were absolutely shattered and we could have gone and had some breakfast and used the facilities of the Hotel but we just waited patiently until we were able to have our rooms which was 1145 .

We were taken to our rooms which was room 278 and 279 alongside each other and they had amazing sea views , the rooms were lovely and spacious , the bed was facing the window so you could wake up to the view of the beautiful sea everyday if you wanted to there was a lovely big flat Screen TV , English power points , air conditioning , safety deposit box in the wardrobe , kettle with Tea and Coffee Facilities , there was no bath but a massive big walk in shower which had plenty of Hot Water (too hot at times ) all the toiletries that you would expect.

We decided to upgrade and do the all inclusive option and we were not disappointed , we ate at the Spice Restaurant the first night and it happened to be an Indian themed night and the food was excellent and because we were all inclusive they give you the drinks menu and all the drinks with a red asterisk is the all inclusive option so we ordered some sparkling wine which they are more than happy to give you a bottle and they had a good choice of Red , White and Rose Wines as well so something for everyone.

We booked to go in to Charka's Steak Grill the second night and we all had fillet steak and we all agreed that it was the best steak we had ever had , I thought we were only able to go to the A'lCarte Restaurant once on our stay but you can go as many times as you like so we did eat there four times , the setting is lovely and contemporary with lovely subdued lighting , they come and give you Garlic Bread before you even order your food and it was really lovely , the staff in Charka's were brilliant they could not do enough for us and because we went so often they got to know what drinks we liked and where we liked to sit and had a banter with all of us.

The Tapas Beach grill was really lovely we ate there twice , it is situated on the beach and has a very romantic setting , we were a little worried at first because we thought it may be a bit windy the first time we eat there but they have some plastic windshields that they can put down and in fact we were to hot so we needn't have worried about being cold, the food was excellent along with presentation again like Charka's Grill you can eat there as many times as you like on all inclusive package.

There are two swimming pools located between the Indigo bar and the Grounds and then the other side of the Indigo Bar and Charka's where they have plenty of sun loungers and tables and chairs to dine at lunch time and in the evening.

There is a Gym , a Spa , tennis Courts , you can hire Push Bikes , play Boules on the beach , plenty of water sports and most of it free when on all inclusive, including a trip on the glass bottom boat

The Hotel is situated on its own little Island with a little causeway to get across to it from the main road and gives you the feeling of being on an island out in the Maldives but for a fraction of the price, the beaches are absolutely beautiful and the sea is the warmest that I have ever swam in and we have been to a few places where the sea is really warm but never as warm as this , my husband looked it up before we went and it was 27 degrees so very warm indeed.

There was entertainment every night , there was a fantastic live band that played music to suit everyone's taste and could put some of the X Factor contestants to shame as they were briliant , belly dancing , indian dancing , disco etc something for everyone

We all had a fantastic time and my friends who have been to the Maldives said that they actually preferred the Preskil Beach Hotel and all of its facilities and food to the Sheraton Full Moon in the Maldives so that is a real compliment to the Preskil as the Sheraton Full Moon is a very good Hotel

What I did notice on a few negative reviews is they mentioned the staff were not very friendly and the rooms were very dated , Have these people who write those reviews ever stopped to think how they treat the staff in the first place , if you treat people how you expect to be treated back and you will form a lovely friendly relationship with the staff , I have always said that the Mauritian People are some the most friendliest and genuine people that I have ever met and in comparison to some of the people we have met in the Caribbean give me Mauritian people any time and I am talking from experience as I have been to Mauritius before and I have been to the Caribbean 25 times so I do feel I know what the people are like and as for the dated rooms I feel that the way the rooms are decorated and furnished is within keeping of the natural beautiful island , if you want big fancy no personality Hotels with a price tag then you are probably at the wrong place but if you want a Fantasic Hotel with Fantastic Food and Fantastic Staff then Preskil Beach is the Hotel for you and I can honestly say that after our first day of being there my friends were talking about going back next year to stay at the Preskil but for longer this time so doesn't that say something about the Hotel and its staff.

I would like to say a big Thank you to Primeta From Spices , Krishna, Christopher, Stevano, Lurcern and all the other staff that I have forgotten to mention for making our stay so wonderful , hopefully we will see you next year

Room Tip: we had room 278 and 279 which was over looking the beach but to be quite honest the way they are set...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
8 Thank Sheena1962
Zurich, Switzerland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2014 via mobile

Just finished 2 weeks vacation with family having 3 year old kid. For febreuary you get 30 degree celcius plus temp. Everyday. Best part of the resort is its location. You can not go wrong for beautiful private beach, with diving center and all type of boat related activities. Free trip to glass bottom boat is very nice and great chance to start snorkelling. I tried water ski bit found it more difficult than snow ski and hence left it. Three posibilities to have food. Food in charka and tapas were highlights. Spice is routine do great asian stuff. We were all inclusive which mean every week once you can eat in charka and tapas. Food with charka is best but location of tapas is unbeatable. Service in general is very prompt except at the beach where it seems a bit tired. Management is very responsive if you ask for something. There are some negetives but surely none were no go. Massage were very nice and relaxing. Truely relaxing place when there is winter in europe.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Vinay P
Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2014

We found the resort as beautiful as the picture, very children friendly and so peaceful. Very organised and the food was very good. The entertainment was very good and everyone was very friendly. If you wanted privacy you had it, the overall experience was very good and I would return there if I visited Mauritius again.
Only thing on the downside was how expensive the excursions were and the drinks even the water, this took us by surprise.

Room Tip: I would choose room closer to hotel as we had a small child. Aircon made quite a noise.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Odette v
Hartlepool
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2014

We stayed at the resort over Christmas 2013 and it was a lovely place to stay. The staff were very good and nothing was too much trouble for them. They were all very friendly and helpful. The hotel rooms and grounds were immaculately kept and the maids came round twice a day and often changed the towels without us asking for them to be changed. The dining room was lovely and the food was delicious with plenty of choice. The Christmas Eve gala night was excellent with plenty of choice and a few different things that we hadn't had before.

We loved it and would heartily recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: Our room had a sea view and wasn't very far from the beach but we didn't get any sun on our...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mahebourg
Zilwa Attitude
Merville Beach Hotel
Merville Beach Hotel
#4 of 28 in Grand Baie
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,265 reviews

Been to Preskil Beach Resort? Share your experiences!