“Good option, ok quality for low price”
Review of Orient Guest House

Orient Guest House
Orient Guest House
Ranked #13 of 19 Mahebourg B&B and Inns
Arnhem, The Netherlands
“Good option, ok quality for low price”
Reviewed 26 July 2014

I stayed one night before leaving Mauritius as this hotel is close to the airport and offers rooms for a very good price.

The price-quality of this hotel is high. The price of the rooms is very low while providing good, clean rooms. And staff being great and made me feel welcome. But since I encountered a hot water issue and since the mattress was of low quality my rating is average.

Initially it took some effort to reserve the room. I sent an email asking availability and price of clean quiet room with shower and transfer. I got an answer saying: we got a room. So I replied asking again about price, shower and transfer and got answer: shower is there. So then I replied again with remaining question and got.... no answer.
Then I called the hotel, with same questions and finally got my answers. All was ok, price very good, so made reservation.

I arrived after dark. It seems located at the end of a small dead-end street along the waterfront. I could vaguely make out the shapes of small (fishing?) boats in the water. Reception was friendly and efficient. Seemed there was only one other guest in the hotel.

Room seemed ok, clean and quiet. But the mattress was thin and seemed worn out. Maybe a good mattress cannot really be expected for this price? The room contained a tiny tiny safety box but my roomkey didn't fit it so couldn't use it.

I found a nice small restaurant just a few steps down the road. The roads around the hotel are dark, barely lit. But a friendly local fisherman I got to talk with assured me the area is a family area and safe also at night.

I looked for wifi, couldn't get a signal in lobby or my room. The guy at the reception brought me to the third floor, which is a large empty hall still, renovation in progress. That was were the wifi router was located and the signal was perfect there. So I was able to check in for my flight next morning without issues.

I had to leave very early to catch my flight (it was still dark). Sadly there was apparently an issue with the warm water so I had to take a cold shower. (Which on Mauritius isn't so bad. It's tropical and the water is not very cold.) On check-out they assured me to look into the issue.

Then I left in the taxi they had arranged for me.

The hotel is very simple but clean. I would suggest the hotel to improve the mattresses.
The staff is helpful and friendly.

Room Tip: Try to get a room with a new mattress (not sure if available). Try to get a room with working safety...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

The room was clean and reasonably quiet. The transfer was just someone putting me into a taxi so just as easy to organize for yourself. Be careful with prices as the cost at checkout was higher than quoted by email and breakfast was extra rather than included.

Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank 130togo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mahebourg
Preskil Beach Resort
#2 of 19 in Mahebourg
Astroea Beach Hotel
Astroea Beach Hotel
#1 of 19 in Mahebourg

Been to Orient Guest House? Share your experiences!