“Lovely Roadside Motel”

Margaretville Motel
w9t4me
“Lovely Roadside Motel”
Reviewed 3 December 2012

Nice place, clean and friendly. It is what it is. A roadside motel with down-to-earth people and prices. I knew I wasn't going to be in the Waldorf-Astoria but I didn't expect the level of comfort and friendliness. I especially appreciated that like very upscale hotels, the vanity is not in the bathroom. Now I don't have to wait while my wife puts on her make-up and does her hair.

The breakfast was more than I expected. I would gladly stay there again. As far as motels goes, it is a higher level than most I have been in. thanks!

Room Tip: there is not a fitness center nor a place for children. There is a good restaurant across the road...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Pensacola, Florida
Reviewed 13 August 2012

My husband and I stayed in the B & B for 3 nights last week. We were in the area to attend a wedding. The room was comfortable, the front porch very relaxing, and the breakfast every morning was awesome !! We took a great walk down the road that runs along the side of the property, a very scenic walk. The owners, Peter and Carol are quite friendly too.
Thank you. Jim & Ellyn Balthrop

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Gardiner, New York
Reviewed 5 August 2012

This past weekend I stayed at the Margaretville Motel and couldn't ask for a better stay.I've stayed at many motels and nothing can compare to here.I must say I was a little nervous after reading a couple of the reviews but was pleasantly suprised upon my arrival and realized that as sad as it is some people just like to write false statements. First thing walking through the front door I was greeted with a wonderful "hello..how are you?.."and a great big smile..hard to find good customer service these days.After checking in went to my room and was happy to find a VERY CLEAN well put together room.I will definately be back to stay again..THANK YOU Margaretville Motel!!!!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Rebecca Michell... J
cauliflower_queen, Manager at Margaretville Motel, responded to this review, 8 August 2012
Thank You! My staff and myself are pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. All of us work hard to ensure a pleasant and comfortable stay, please come back and enjoy our other seasons.
Reviewed 3 July 2012 via mobile

This will probably be the one and only time we will be in Margaretville. Visiting for a wedding, we made our lodging plans a little on the late side, so the motel was the only place left. The price was $188 for two nights. That is a little steep for what we encountered here. As we first walked in we seen stains on the (red) carpet! The room was a descent size. Seeing the sink outside the bathroom was a little strange but not an inconveinence. I always wipe down all surfaces with cleaning wipes when we go out of town and when I did the wipes were coming out brown(not a good sign). But, I kept telling myself you are here for a special occasion so you have to suck it up. I immediately checked the bed for any stains or creepy crawlers. I pulled back a duvet that had to be from the 1970s, then another old blanket that was very old and worn out, then I was pleasantly surprised to find two clean sheets free of anything that would make me leave and run for the hills. Phew! Thank goodness. So we decide as long as the beds were clean and comfy we could stay for two nights. Sadly, we didn't stay alone. There seemed to be a family of these gross worms that lived there too. They were in the main room and especially in the bathroom. The coffee maker, fridge and microwave were the one and only other plus. We stepped out for a few hours and returned and noticed our beds had been made( sadly though someone took my shirt and placed it on top of the old dirty duvet so I threw my shirt out). Looking around though, we noticed they did NOTHING else! They didn't tidy up, throw away obvious garbage, vacuum the floor, or pick up the dirty towels in the bathroom(this last thing is surprising since they have a sign in the bathroom that says:"If you have dirty towels that you would like replaced please leave them on the floor"). So we were very confused as to why the cleaning person would come in the room just to make the beds. Would I stay here again, probably not. But, it is a beautiful and quaint little town with nice people.

• Stayed July 2012
2 Thank NYPRINC3SS
, Manager at Margaretville Motel, responded to this review, 4 July 2012
Dear guests, the staff and myself are sorry your stay was not up to your standards, however had you told us of the cleaning issues we would have corrected them immediately, I'm sorry the style is not to your liking but the bedding is not from the 1970's. and we do not have a red carpet. The price of $188.00 is fair for TWO nights two people weekend rate including breakfast, free WIFI and taxes, other lodging establishments are much higher and we never claim to be a high end resort. . Once again, had you brought the issues to our attention at some point during your two nights stay, we would have corrected the simple cleaning problems but instead you gave us a poor review and no opportunity to provide an immediate solution and demonstrate our outstanding customer service. Thank you for recognizing the fact that Margaretville is a quaint village with nice people which includes our staff.

Travellers are raving about these Margaretville hotels

Kings Park, New York
Reviewed 20 February 2012

Dated circa 1970. The floor is warped, as you walk across room the funiture shakes. The beds are sagging. Small sink outside of bathroom. Took a looong time for heat/hot water to come up to temp. No Cell service in the area (AT&T). No WiFI but they did provide me with a cable to plug into my laptop. I am used to staying in chain hotels so I did not pack a Hairdryer. When I mentioned this at the front desk they lent me one, only to call later asking for it back so another patron could use it.
Would not stay here again. Rates are too high for this type lodging. Though staff was friendly and helpful.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank skinnie101
cauliflower_queen, Manager at Margaretville Motel, responded to this review, 21 February 2012
This review has false statements. There is WIFI at the motel and it works , so I am to believe that there was an operator error when trying to log on with the passcode, no one else complained about the WIFI service, and our fabulous staff did make sure you had a cable cord to operate your own computer. There IS cell service in the area, some carriers are not compatible, and one must remember that we are in a RURAL area (that is why you came here) nestled in-between the mtns. and sometimes reception is spotty. Our mattresses are less than a year old and are not saggy, I guess our reviewer prefers a very hard bed. Also, our prices are in line with other roadside motels in the area, and a matter of fact they are $10-$15 less. And, the sink location, I don't see a problem. Circa 1970, yes the building is but NOT the furnishings and accessories, etc. We maintain a clean, well dressed, and less expensisve motel facilty which many people prefer due to the convenience they offer. False statements in one's review like this one are hurtful to everyone not just the family that runs the establishment but the staff as well who work very hard to make sure your stay is comfortable.
Sewell, New Jersey
Reviewed 12 September 2011

We stayed at this motel for two nights as it as my niece's wedding. It wasn't as nice as pictured on the website. It's a basic, side-of-the-road motel. The rooms were clean and there was a microwave and coffee maker (nice touch!) but the bathroom sink was outside of the bathroom and the air conditioner was very noisy. Beds comfortable though. Continental breakfast was mediocre at best. Frozen, thin bagels, cheerios, OJ and coffee. We went across the street the second day to the Inn Between, which had fantastic fod.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank muszekfan
Toms River, New Jersey
Reviewed 25 August 2011

This place is a disaster. The floor slants, there is an abundance of flies and caterpillars in the room, the a/c is lukewarm, the cleaning service is a joke- the same dead bugs stayed on my carpet and my dirty towels didn't get changed, and to top it off, the breakfast was stale cereal and coffee. Spare yourself and stay somewhere else where you can sleep comfortably in a clean bed in a temperature controlled room!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Reiseho72
cauliflower_queen, Manager at Margaretville Motel, responded to this review, 27 August 2011
We are very surprised by the harsh rating and comments from this guest as we worked with her to make sure she was satisfied throughout her multiple nights stay with us.We even gave her a partial refund as an added effort to ensure customer satisfaction. We are a Green Certified facility and, yes, the air conditioning was not left on prior to their arrival to have a chilled room so as to not waste energy. As such it did take a while for the room to cool down to the guest's comfort level. The towels were not changed as we are a green facility and request guests leave towels on the floor to be changed. When the guest asked about towels not being changed they were promptly replaced with fresh clean towels. Bed linens are changed on the 3rd day of stay as per industry standards but are done more frequently at the guests' request. This was never requested by the guest during her stay. We were very much aware of the guests concern about flies and caterpillars near her room. We are in the country and cannot control mother nature so a caterpillar did get into the guest's room. When the front desk was notified housekeeping corrected it immediately. Since this was an area beyond our control we issued a partial credit for. their stay. Our staff is diligent and concsiencious about all our guests well being and comfort. It is unfortunate that despite our team's continuous effort this guest was disappointed with their stay. We encourage them to stay with us again so they can see for themselves that their previous stay experience was definitely out of the norm.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Margaretville
Cold Spring Lodge
Starlite Motel
Starlite Motel
#1 of 2 in Big Indian
Hanah Mountain Resort and Country Club

Been to Margaretville Motel? Share your experiences!