“Pretty Basic But Not That Pretty”

Margaretville Motel
New Jersey
“Pretty Basic But Not That Pretty”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2010

The motel was a short trip from the mountain we were skiing at, but that's the best thing I can say about it. There was no hot water, and we were unable to turn up the "heat" in the room. On a night when the outside temperature was in the single digits, our room didn't feel much warmer. The bedding seemed clean, but there was a heavy, musty smell that permeated the room. We were not expecting anything glamorous, but it was strange to pull up the shade of the rear window and see nothing but a brick wall. If you want a very inexpensive place to simply pass out in between skiing, this motel offers a great deal on room/lift tickets.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
cauliflower_queen, Manager at Margaretville Motel, responded to this review, 16 February 2011
We had issues with our previous heating company that resulted in unexpected poor heating performance affecting the comfort of our guests. What this reviewer neglected to mention was we gave all our guests that stayed that evening either discounts or free ski passes for their inconvenience. We have since fired that company and hired a new heating company. They updated our heating plant and have provided outstanding 24 hour service. Their proactive maintenance schedule throughout the year has resulted in problem free operation and no heating or hot water complaints, even during our recent stretch of sub-zero tempertures over the last few weeks. Additionally, we have hired new management and refitted our guest rooms with new beds (2 queen size beds in each room), new comforters, bed fittings and 450 thread count sheets. We have also lowered our room rates to more attractive and competitive rates. Visit our website to see current photos of our improved facility and NEW COST CUTTER PRICES. We are sure that you will not be disappointed with your stay with us. All we ask is that you to give us a try.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Pemberton, NJ
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2009

We used to stay at the same motel when it was called Merrit Motel, it was then, an acceptable place to stay and reasonable price. The new owners raised the price and included a continetal breakfast. If they had breakfast of any sort it would have been fine, but there was not even coffee, the young lady said they ran out of coffee and refused to do anything about it. Even the jelly in the individual packs were dried out.
That was not all, where my daughter decided to sit , between the bed and the front wall, was saoked with someone's urin. My daughter's slacks and underwear was both soaked, DISCUSTING! when we reported the problem, the "same young lady "could have cared less. She did not offer any refund or even an apology.

• Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank JustUsPemberton_NJ
cauliflower_queen, Manager at Margaretville Motel, responded to this review, 14 February 2011
This review appears very vindictive and jaded since the review was written almost a year after the person stayed at the Motel.This does not make sense if you have a legitimate complaint, why would anyone wait almost a year to write a nasty review?

Travellers are raving about these Margaretville hotels

Saugerties, NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2009

The hotel provided a nice stop over in our trip and the Sabrina at the front dest was extremely kind and helpful when we checked in.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
Closter, NJ
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2009

I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised by my stay at this motel. I needed a room for a few days during a business trip to the area and I found the Margaretville Motel. The room was nice and clean, I felt bad when I walked into the room with my muddy boots. The front desk was very pleasant and could not do enough to make my stay a good one. I stayed three days, the phone worked well, the Internet was great, the TV had all the channels I needed, the heat and hot water were always available and the fridge kept my stuff cold. All in all this place was pleasant, accomodating and one that I would return to at any time.

• Stayed January 2009, travelled on business
NORTH FORK
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2009

The facility is run down and barely provided the basic services of heat and hot water on a cold January weekend. At times they failed to provide the heat and hot water. It was a ski weekend we  didnt ask for much -  bed, heat, hot shower, clean towels...we received little. Not much of a facility I guess they're waiting for a Best Western to take over the site and build a new one....conveinient location for Bellayre Mtn. ...nice restaurant The Inn Between nearby....wont be going back to the MM. i totally agree with the review prior to this one.

• Liked — location to Mountain
  • Disliked — lack of heat,cleanliness
  • Stayed January 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
MargaretvilleMotel, Manager at Margaretville Motel, responded to this review, 17 February 2009
The weekend referenced was problematic for us as our heating plant went down in the middle of the night. The furnace also heats the hot water. We do have staff residing on site overnight and they responded immediately to the problem by notifying our oil company's emergency service. Their technician showed up 3 hours later and after extensive work was able to get the heating plant up and running. It took several hours after this for the heat and hot water to come up to full warmth as we were experiencing single digit temperatures that weekend. Though the event was unfortunate for everyone what the writer neglected to mention was we discounted everyone's stay for the inconvenience.
We are a roadside motel with budget prices and added amenities for our guests such as continental breakfast, in room HBO/cable TV, free Wi-Fi, refridgerator, microwave, coffee maker and more. Our guests get a great deal for their money.
Middletown, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2008

Picture on website shows grassy lawn. Parking lot goes right up to front door and when you look out the back window of your room all you see is a stone retaining wall. I requested a non smoking room and the room I had was so musty smelling I had a flashback to staying in a cheap motel on a ski weekend but this was May not in the middle of winter. Room is tired and old. Bed kind of lumpy. I could hear a couple in the next room talking if I did not have my TV on. Had a small fridge with ice box which was nice and coffee maker in room. Desk clerk leaves at night so hopefully nothing goes wrong. Right on Rte28 so can be a little noisy but close to town which is a great place to visit and shop. Would I stay here again............no

• Liked — fridge in room
  • Disliked — Musty smell
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
2 Thank catwoman27
Also consider these accommodations in or near Margaretville
Margaretville Mountain Inn
#1 of 1 in Prattsville
Margaretville Suites on Main
Margaretville Suites on Main
#1 of 1 in Margaretville

Been to Margaretville Motel? Share your experiences!