“A pain in the buns”

Margaretville Mountain Inn
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
“A pain in the buns”
Reviewed 13 January 2013

I arrived at 9:30 on Tuesday night (they had asked when I would arrive, and I had told them between 9 and 10). I walk up to the door and knock and ring the doorbell numerous times, no one comes to the door. So I decide to call them on my cell- turns out to be no service. A sign says if no one answers to drive down to the other motel they own- so I drive down there and the office is closed and no one is there. So I drove to the local pub and ask to use their phone, luckily they have no problem with it, but unfortunately either the B&Bs phone is disconnected or they have dial-up internet... Once again I drove up the hill to the B&B and after another 10-15 minutes of knocking he finally comes to the door and says they had no idea the doorbell was broken... So after an hour or more of this pain in the buns, he asks for me to pay and I oblige with cash. He shows me to my room, and I begin to unpack some stuff and finally get to wind down from a 4 hour drive and an hour of nonsense, with little or no apology. About ten minutes later he comes back up to my room and tells me that he miscalculated what I owe, and that he needs two more dollars. Really?! Two dollars after the whole hassle, what nerve...

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
5 Thank Owen C
cauliflower_queen, Owner at Margaretville Mountain Inn, responded to this review, 15 January 2013
Dear readers: We would like to clear up a few points in this misguided review. We did apologize profusely for the doorbell not working (it was fixed the very next day). The house is big and we did not hear the knock on the door even though the front entrance was open and he could walk right in. He accepted our apology and said it was no problem, he was glad he got a great room at a great price through a special we were running ,$47.50 a weekday night double ocuupancy, full breakfast, free WIFI and free use of the hot tub .Yes we made an error on the bill and yes at this price point $2.00 makes a difference. The ironic part of this all is that the guest remarked that he enjoyed his two night stay and wanted to come back again, that is why this review is such a shock and definetly not deserving of the quality of service and amenities we provide.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Dover, NJ
Reviewed 9 August 2012

We actually were in May of 2011, so my memory is a bit sketchy. I do remember that we were very lucky to get the last room here because we cancelled our original reservations with a place that misrepresented themselves very badly. This apparently was the only room that did not have a connected bathroom but were were just very happy to have found this place and that they had a room available, plus I believe every other room has their own connected bathroom. Very old, very lovely well-kept building. Nice family, nice pets (HUGE gentle Great Pyrenees dog and a cute guinea pig), excellent food and pleasant conversations with the other guests. Some of our best moments were spent lounging on the large porch gazing at the hillside. It's only a couple miles from the center of Margaretsville, and I believe may be the nicest place to stay in that immediate vicinity.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Belle Vernon, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 30 July 2012

My wife and I stayed here to attend a wedding in nearby Roxbury. Peter and Carol were great hosts--accomodating and helpful. A plus for me was they did not "intrude" by asking questions, forever asking if you need anything, etc. In fact, they were virtually invisible( although they live in the house-a beautiful and well furnished victorian by the way--and spotless ! )
I had read some reviews before making the reservation and most people raved about Carol's breakfasts--they were right ! ( I embarrassed myself by asking for eggs benedict thinking it was a specialty-it was not but Carol delivered anyway--and they were great)
I highly recommend for a visit to the Catskills..and give their big old dog named Bear a friendly pat--a great and kindly guy !

Room Tip: A couple of rooms have private baths and a couple do not. Read the room descriptions to decide--the...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
cauliflower_queen, Owner at Margaretville Mountain Inn, responded to this review, 4 August 2012
Hi folks, we are glad you really enjoyed your stay with us, and that the eggs benedict were a hit. We try to make everyone feel welcomed and their stay enjoyable. Please come back and join us at another time for pure relaxation. Oh, and by the way, all the bedrooms have private bathrooms, its that just some are not en suite they are detached and are private for your own use. Thanks, Carol and Peter Bear too :)
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed 15 July 2012

The Inn recommended by a friend, who was celebrating his 50th birthday in Margaretville. Peter and his wife are wonderful, knowledgeable hosts, especially when we and others asked about activities and local color nearby. To spend time here is like stepping back into the 1920s or 30s. We had a spacious suite on the second floor front with a private bathroom down the hall. And to add to that luxury there is the breakfast, Sharon's special French Toast one morning and blueberry pancakes the next with "harvested" on-the-site maple syrup. Yummy! This is a B&B not to be missed.

Room Tip: Great air, cold mountain water and walking around the site!
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
cauliflower_queen, Owner at Margaretville Mountain Inn, responded to this review, 17 July 2012
You folks are too kind, thank you, Peter and I are so happy you enjoyed your stay.
Edmond, Oklahoma
Reviewed 1 July 2012

The wife and I (retired) just finished a ten-day car trip through New England. We spent night four at the Margaretville Mountain Bed & Breakfast. We found this location on Trip Advisor. Enjoyed sitting on the front porch admiring the Catskills, listening to the birds, and petting our hosts' dog. A unique place to stay with comfortable bedding and unique amenities. The breakfast in the morning was superb with the host ready to cook whatever you desired. I had Carol's french toast which was the best I had tasted in a long time. We enjoyed Peter's conversation during breakfast, and would highly recommend this B & B to any traveler. We seldom stay at B & B's, but this one scored an A+. Thank you Peter and Carol for a lovely overnight stay.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you so much, Peter and I are glad your stay was relaxing, bear says "hi"
Southern NY State
Reviewed 14 May 2012

Upon arriving, we were greeted by the "Welcoming Committee", the resident puppy, Bear. He ever so gently greeted us, then led the way to the entrance. Upon entering, Carol checked us in and gave us the tour, then poof - she was gone to family events. :-)
Went out for the evening and woke to the wonderful smells of a great breakfast. Before breakfast, we went outside to enjoy the wonderful views the Inn has to offer, where we were greeted by Peter, who was VERY engaging, warm and hospitable.
Peter led us in to the BREATHTAKING dining room, which was set with linens, and filled with cold and warm cereals, fresh baked oat cranberry scones, oj and coffee. Peter then asked what we would like - French Toast and Bacon it was! Delicious breakfast, and thoroughly enjoyed our conversation with Peter throughout. Headed out and said our goodbyes to Carol & Bear - with lots of kisses to that handsome puppy!

Oh, and as a nice touch, there was a beautiful rose and home made chocolate chip cookies in our room when we arrived!

We will be back.....but not soon enough as far as I am concerned!!

Room Tip: The Emerald room does have its own private bath, but NOT attached - it is down the hallway. Next ti...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you so much and Bear can't wait for you folks to return!
New Paltz, New York
Reviewed 28 April 2012

This was the first romantic getaway for Susan and I so I was hoping it would be extra special. And indeed it was; the stay exceeded our expectations. Carol and Peter are kind and welcoming hosts who also know how to walk that fine line between being there for us and being completely unobtrusive. We happened to be the only people in the Inn on this particular night - awesome. We made several trips up the driveway to the fabulous hot tub in the barn and enjoyed the tranquility and solitude every moment we were there. Great bed linens too! The detached bathroom was really no big deal. The room was sweet with beautiful views. Peter greeted us at breakfast and Carol joined us after breakfast for conversation. They are gracious and laid-back hosts. The finishing touch was when we were leaving, and "Killer Bear" appeared out of nowhere to say goodbye and wish us well. Thanks guys, we will be back!!!!!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank snowtiger888
cauliflower_queen, Owner at Margaretville Mountain Inn, responded to this review, 1 May 2012
Thank you folks for your very kind review. Till next time!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Margaretville
Albergo Allegria
#1 of 1 in Margaretville
Margaretville Motel
Margaretville Motel
#2 of 2 in Margaretville

Been to Margaretville Mountain Inn? Share your experiences!