“We're eight golfers who travel the Northeast annually”

Hanah Mountain Resort and Country Club
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Margaretville
Richfield Springs, New York
“We're eight golfers who travel the Northeast annually”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2011

Accommodations were excellent. Employees were all helpful and friendly. Food was great! We have traveled the northeast for the past 20 plus years and found this place to be an excellent venue for golf and friendly clean accommodations. I find it very hard to believe that the negative reviews are accurate. Our group was very pleased with everything. The golf course is a great challenge and is very well maintained.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank Shortform

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Cornwall, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2011

This place is a hidden gem for golfers. The golf is challenging and in the course is in great shape (you'll love the island par 3). The view form the top of the mountain is spectacular as the golf course sits below in the valley.
The food is also great - especially the buffet!
We have been coming here for over the past 10 years with a group of 12 to 16 players and have always been happy with the service, accommodations and food. Deborah always try to make sure we have what we want before coming and has always been great to our group.
The golf alone is worth the trip - trust me.

Room Tip: Junior suite is very nice.
  • Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank golfpro8
Syosset, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2011

i booked a hanah house and my family and friends were very disgusted and dissatisfied with the cleanliness of the rooms and the whole basement was crawling with centipedes, worms, all crawling things you can think of. we called the front desk and the people there gave an alternate room instead. if it was like any other resort or hotel, the people would offer to help us move our luggage, or anything that they could do to help us. but no, they did not do anything for our convenience. okay, that was enough to deal with. we were not very upset about that. when we repacked all our stuff and moved to the new room they assigned us, there were numerous problems occurring there. first off, the room key they assigned us would not work and when we went downstairs to discuss this problem, the only thing the manager could say was "we are a public resort, and not only do we have to deal with the customers, but we have to manage the restaurant and the bar also." he was basically saying that they had better things to worry about and our concern were not important to them. then, we got even angrier at him, not only at the fact that our room key did not work, but even more about the attitude he gave us. the people at the front desk continuously told us to try the key again and we were forced to go back upstairs without any solution given to us. When the key didn't work for the second time, we were forced to go back downstairs, and in contrast, the manager at the front desk became very angry at us and threatened to call the police on us. he also made a comment saying, "we have very important guests right now and this is a public resort. please calm down and stop and go to your rooms." are we not guests? how can some guests be more important? we observed and the people around the lobby were all white people in fancy outfits. did they consider them more important because they were white? because they were wearing fancy suits? this was, on part, racial discrimination and unfair guest treatment. he kept on trying to push us away back to our rooms complaining that we were being a disruption for the "important guests". on our personal level, we all had emotional and mental trauma, and our so called "vacation" was ruined. we were forced to stay here with very uncomfortable feelings and emotions and this was a very unpleasant experience, not something a resort should offer. they eventually sent a maintenance man down to help us with the room, but we were still very unsatisfied, the people still did not apologize and did not show any signs of sincerity. after a while, we thought this wasn't the right way to be treated as guests and went back down to get some closure. this time when we went, it was obvious that they wanted us to just shut up disregarding whatever we had to say. the manager, Toshi, everything he said was to shut me up and the feeling i received was very unpleasant and again, i received emotional trauma. honestly, that was no way to treat us guests and they did not understand why we were mad at them. we were arguing for a while, and during our argument, both managers (the general manger and manager) were not present and we couldn't talk to any authorities. the even present employees started to avoid us and when the night shift employees were forced to call the manager by us, we could sense that the manager didn't give a crap and was telling the employee to do anything to get rid of us. after much arguing, we called the police, and reached a point where we were going to sue. even to the end, the employees refused to apologize to us sincerely and staying here was a more than unpleasant experience. it is safe to say our relaxing vacation turned into a crazy nightmare. overall, if you're looking for a place to stay for you and your family or friends, this is definitely not somewhere you want to come. actually, this isn't even the last place you want to come, you shouldn't ever think about coming here. anywhere but here would be satisfactory. this isn't a place i would recommend to anyone. it honestly was one of the worse decisions i made in my life and an utter complete waste of money.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
6 Thank amy_gwack

Travellers are raving about these Margaretville hotels

Bluffton, South Carolina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2011

I called Hanah to get the best deal for a fall overnight golf outing for my league. I was told if I could come on a Thursday in August, I could get a great deal. I said I would try. I received an email confirming the rate. After getting a dozen players to agree to a trip in a little less than a month, several of whom had to rearrange plans, I called and gave my credit card number by way of payment, and gave the names of those players to expect.
Later that day I received a call from the same woman I had spoken to earlier, saying "the board" had decided not to offer that package. I reminded her that I already paid the stated price. I explained that several guys had rearranged their vacation time to make the trip. She said she would notify me when the package was offered again. It was never previously mentioned that the package might not be available. How can you run a business this way? I would not go there now if the stay was free.

Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
5 Thank BaitNoSwitch
golfersworld, Front Office Manager at Hanah Mountain Resort and Country Club, responded to this review, 31 July 2011
On behalf of the entire Hanah Mountain Resort, we do apologize for the way that you were treated in your interactions with us. We have been working very hard to offer more competitive services, accommodations, meal packages, and entertainment at lower rates. I apologize for the confusion and misrepresentation that you were given. However, I can assure you that the packages and specials that we are currently offering and will offer in the future will never be misrepresented again. If you do decide to reconsider your stay with us, you will not regret it.
Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2011

Reading the reviews, I saw recently I am left to wonder if they are about the same location. My golf club has coming to Hannah for many years at a frequency of three times per year and we have had many great experiences. In fact HANNAH in recent years has done nothing but improve in all aspects as they have become more professional and improved upon the hotel and its environs .

To begin in the summer it is an accommodating golf resort. They offer a challenging 18 hole golf course. The course is a true resort course filled with hazards within the natural terrain. There are streams ponds and wooded areas on the course. The fairways are lush The course is well bunkered. There are four sets of tees and the course can be bear if played from too far back.

The rooms are adequately appointed. They are clean and functional. Contrary to some opinions, I have experienced a situation where a telephone or a televison failed to work. I admit that internet and cell service is spotty but that is true in that entire area. The rooms are always during our stays. The beds are made and garbage emptied. The bathrooms are always well supplied with shampoo, conditioner, soap and body gel.

Additionally, the facilities have improved. The indoor pool is immaculate. The outdoor hottub is very clean. It is in a nice little area adjacent to the rooms and near the woods so it is possible to relax following a hard day of golf.

The recent improvement of an outdoor deck overlooking their 19th and wooded area is excllent. It alows to enjoy the outdoors while a cool drink or even dine outside. Further, the hiking trail offers something for the non-golfer to do. It is possible to go out and see nature on it.

The food is quite good as well. The recent addition of new chef has improvd quality control to kitchen. He has added new items to thier menu. Especially noteworthy are desserts which show creativity in addition to being delicious.

Lastly, the staff is always warm and cordial. They go out of their way to make you feel at home. No request appears too great. I am reminded of an instance when too much golf caused me back pain, I was loking for Aleve and one of their staffers went to town and obtained a small for me, since I had no car.

In most recent visit, we planned an afternoon luncheon to give out prizes, they made sure our chosen outdoor location was staffed and food was ready. When a shower appeared imminent and threatened our outdoor lunch, the management quickly broke down the outdoor event and found an indoor location for it. This went without incident and was done with a smile.

HANNAH is place that I strongly recommend for a golf trip without reservation. In fact on Sunday, I was speaking with a fiend and told him for a summer golf trip HANNAH is without compare. It is an excellent course, with a nice hotel and friendly people and is ideal place for a golf vacation.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2011

First of all I never write reviews here... I just read them but when I read all the bad reviews on here I had to write something!
The resort is big and rooms are clean and you have a balcony in each room! Bathrooms are not too big but CLEAN and that is the most important thing for me!
THE GOLF COURSE is AMAZING!
I have been coming to Hanah Mountain Resort and Country Club for the last 5 years and I have never had a problem with either my room nor management! I love it there! it's a 3 star hotel so please don't be too picky and you will love it too!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
Harriman, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2011

This was my second visit, and the fourth for my son and his girlfriend. From the moment you arrive you're treated as a special, valued guest. The rooms are spacious and clean and, on the second floor, have balconies on which to sit and enjoy the scenery. The price includes breakfast and dinner and thus is well worth it. You may choose between Japanese and American food. I've only had the Japanese dinners (and American and Japanese breakfasts) and the cooking is superb; this is very healthy food too. As a non-golfer I can't comment on that aspect, but Hanah has a well-known course that attracts people from all over. All the staff without exception are helpful and gracious. The new General Manager is very service-oriented.

Room Tip: Ask for second-floor rooms.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank adx4evr
Also consider these accommodations in or near Margaretville
Cold Spring Lodge
#1 of 2 in Margaretville
Xenia Resort
Xenia Resort
#5 of 6 in Hunter

Been to Hanah Mountain Resort and Country Club? Share your experiences!