“Good food, great golf, million dollar views”

Hanah Mountain Resort and Country Club
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Margaretville
northport ny
“Good food, great golf, million dollar views”
Reviewed 8 July 2013 via mobile

Great value resort for golfers
Not many services for non golfers
Breakfast is buffet and ample, lunch only at small cafe/grill on course, very good dinner, indoor pool, outdoor jacuzzi, small exercise/ spa room
Thoroughly enjoyed!

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank chrisgabe

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Jersey City, New Jersey
Reviewed 10 June 2013

We stayed at in the Hanah House at Hanah Mountain Resort and Country Club last weekend (6/7 - 6/9/2013).

When we checked in the club house looked very nice and the woman at the front desk was professional and courteous. We signed a bunch of release forms for the pool and house and got our keys and made our way to Hanah House.

They gave us the most useless "map" I have ever seen. I don't even want to call it a map because it was just a bunch of pictures of buildings on a sheet of paper connected with clip art arrows. We eventually found the house and went inside. It was cool and rainy and we were excited to get a fire going in the fireplace.

The layout was good - 3 bedrooms upstairs on the same level with the kitchen/living room and 1 bed room downstairs. The downstairs "bunk room" would be good for kids. The kitchen isn't great but it's fine. We loaded the groceries we brought and my husband and friend went to the store to get the rest of the stuff we needed including firewood.

We made dinner and the rest of our friends arrived. I gave our son a bath in the master bathroom which has a deep tub with jets but no plug so I stuffed a washcloth in the drain and it worked fine. It also had a shower wand but it didn't work. While I was putting our toddler to bed (on the small futon in the master bedroom which was perfect) our friends made a fire in the fireplace.

We noticed about an hour later that it was very smokey in the living room. We thought we forgot to open the flue but it was open. We opened all the windows and disabled the smoke alarm after it went off. The fire died down and the place aired out but it could have been a big problem.

The next day when we returned from the pool (which was great!) there was a note written in crayon from the housekeeper. It said "please do not use the fireplace. Very unsafe" A little late. The housekeeper also did not make the beds downstairs, vacuum or replace any towels.

There was no iron or ironing board and we had to go to the club house to get one (no one offered to bring one to us).

The front of a drawer in the kitchen fell off and hit our toddler in the head. He was fine but still.

Overall, the most disappointing thing was how management dealt with the complaints. No one really apologized or offered to compensate us. My husband is in the hospitality industry and I work in customer service and I couldn't believe how basically mean the people who run this place are. More or less we were told they didn't care.

We will not be staying here again.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Sarah A
golfersworld, Public Relations Manager at Hanah Mountain Resort and Country Club, responded to this review, 14 June 2013
Dear Guest, We are very sorry that your stay with us was less than you expected since our guests' safety, comfort and enjoyment are most important to us.
We are most concerned that your child suffered a bump on the head from a ‘falling’ front of a kitchen drawer, and are very happy to learn that he was uninjured. As you know, we immediately apologized for this accident when you informed us of it on check-out.
Days after your departure, we responded to your telephone calls and further apologized. We take pride in our customer service, and because of your suggestions during these calls, we are doing our utmost to improve our service and facilities.
With regard to the other points you make in this review:
We will work to improve our map.
The fireplace in the Hanah House, is currently not useable and we always leave a sign on it to prevent our guests from trying to use it.
We have asked our housekeepers to be careful about replacing used towels; but with regard to the unmade beds, whenever stay-over guests leave expensive electronic devices on their beds, our housekeepers are trained to leave the beds as they find them. They always vacuum.
When asked, we provide ironing boards and irons to our guests.
Again, we apologize for any shortcomings on our part, and thank you for your suggestions.

Travellers are raving about these Margaretville hotels

New Jersey
Reviewed 2 June 2013

This was our second stay here, for overnight golf package. We stayed here last year for our anniversary, and this time to celebrate a birthday. We enjoyed both stays, and had no issues with the room, bar, or restaurant. Mother Nature was not as kind to us on both occasions though, getting us rained out 1 of the 2 golf days each time. We made the best of it and looped around holes 15-18 (19!!) a few times to get 18 holes in.

The room is standard, and nice. Beds comfy and the place is clean. I liked having the mini-fridge. :)

The burgers we had at dinner were outstanding. We couldn't stop commenting on them all through dinner! We ate out on the porch to enjoy the beautiful evening and the thunderstorms that rolled in.

We love the game room and took advantage of it both times we stayed: pool, ping pong, air hockey (last year), darts. The bar is really nice to hang out at ... really welcoming.

We found the staff to be very pleasant to deal with, from check in/out to golf to dining, whatever ... everyone was great!

The golf course is in great shape (except for the day of rain we got!). The greens were fantastic and the wildflowers all around were beautiful. The course is challenging, and fair. We hate hole 13 though and donated a number of balls to the pond. :)

We will come back again and again for any stay-and-play package that Hanah will offer. This deal was fantastic, and is better than ANY deal we could find elsewhere in Catskills or Poconos. We shop around for these, and found a winner with Hanah!

One thing I would love for them to do is a bit of work on the hiking trails. They are a bit overgrown. Otherwise, I can't wait for our next visit!

(PS to the review below about the cancellation policy: management are VERY clear about the 2-week cancellation policy from the first phone call to the confirmation notices. It doesn't hurt to ask for a refund, but no sense posting unfair messages about the policy when they are very clear about it at the time you make a reservation. I'm not thrilled with the long cancellation policy either, but we chose to take the risk when we reserved.)

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank turtle2373
golfersworld, Guest Relations Manager at Hanah Mountain Resort and Country Club, responded to this review, 14 June 2013
Thank you very much for your kind review. We appreciate your spending your vacation at Hanah and hope to see you soon.
Margaretville, New York, United States
Reviewed 22 May 2013

Firstly I am an Automotive Drifting enthusiast and I couldn't resist their entrance/Driveway. Sorry! please don't be mad its so unique I couldn't resist! Most definitely one of the most Unique entrances this side of the Catskills with views meant for cameras!
Secondly to Nat T, don't write negative reviews when the only experience you had was over the phone. Also don't make reservations during or around "questionable time periods". Very immature post. Mine may be more so!
Unfortunately we have not been able to sit down or stay overnight at their resort and have a full experience so I will refrain from any service/dinner/resort oriented review. Bar is open to the public mostly all nights of the year I believe so take advantage of their Wing special Great sushi too!
Front desk and Grounds keepers were very polite and upon being new to the area politely directed me where to go. This was similar with the bartender who I interacted with more so obviously and also very knowledgeable with the whiskeys and local brews. She kept bringing me wings and beer and It seemed almost Uncanny how she read my mind. Great experiences but only with their wing specials which I highly recommend. Something like 25 cent wings come in 6/or 12 wings each if I recall correctly. Absolutely great wings too I enjoy mine a bit well done and everytime like clockwork they were to my liking!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank BassLady86er
So glad you enjoyed Hanah. Hope to see you back soon!
Norwalk
Reviewed 14 May 2013

I can't believe how down right mean these people are. If you can go anywhere else do it. My wife went into unplanned labor almost a month early and they wouldn't help us by cancelling our reservation a week early. Not only that, but the first woman that I spoke to basically yelled at me for asking. It's "company policy"....its run by some japanese conglomerate, and the policy is "we don't really care about you." Oh yeah, they're completely booked, and I bet they rent my room to someone else. Double the revenue, and rip people off, that's company policy.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
golfersworld, Guest Relations Manager at Hanah Mountain Resort and Country Club, responded to this review, 18 May 2013
Dear Prospective Guest, I am sorry that your extenuating circumstances led to a reservations problem at Hanah and you were not able to make your trip.
I understand from my conversation with your wife, just three days before your planned arrival, that she really wanted to travel to the wedding with your friends, and she gave us a new credit card number. We had held your confirmed reservations beyond the 2-week cancellation period, turning away other people who wanted to stay here. Consequently, we were not able to find anyone to fill your spot at the last minute and your assigned room remained empty for the two nights.
I am sorry that you were not able to enjoy Hanah on this occasion, but hope that in the future you will be able to visit us. Thank you, Debra Storms
Valley Stream, New York, United States
Reviewed 5 March 2013

This place was wonderful, great staff who are all willing to help. The food was just amazing. We had the Sunday brunch and cannot believe the spread that was available - everything tasted very delicious and fresh. Dinner was also good - had the pork chops and it was out of this world.
We were there for 1 night but wished we could have stayed longer. We were on a ski vacation and the ski resort was only 10 minutes away. Great view and the lobby is very spacious with great bar service. I get the feeling that all the staff members will get anything you need......keep up the great service.

Room Tip: For the winter months it does help to get a room close to the pool since it's an outdoor walk.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Joe B
Forest Hills, New York, United States
Reviewed 5 March 2013

Hanah is a very nice place to stay in the heart of the Catskills. The rooms are large and well maintained. Great outdoor hot tub allows you to relax after a day skiing or hiking while watching the stars. Indoor pool for the less adveturous. Meals are excellent. Imaginative chef gives each dish a special flair. Staff all very accomodating and friendly - from the simple reservation process to the warm welcome which greets you at the efficient check in, continues in the dining room with excellent service, and throughout your stay. Handles our large group with friendliness and ease. That's why we've come back four years in a row.

Room Tip: Second floor rooms have better views of the mountains while first floor rooms allow you to walk out...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Margaretville
Cold Spring Lodge
#3 of 6 in Hunter
Belleayre Lodge
Belleayre Lodge
#2 of 2 in Pine Hill

Been to Hanah Mountain Resort and Country Club? Share your experiences!