“Poor hotel in a poor location”
Review of Quality Inn

Quality Inn
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Massena
Reviewed 1 March 2013

I stayed at the Quality Inn while on a business trip to Massena. The lobby area is quite inviting and a great place to relax by the fireplace. The room was mediocre at best. It was clean, but quite old. I booked a single room and expected it to be small, but that was an understatement. There was room for a bed and small desk and nothing else. No dresser or even a night stand. The room did have a microwave and mini refrigerator which was nice.
As many have said in previous reviews, the hotel is loud. Doors slam when you walk out of the room and echo throughout the whole corridor. It is a wood door with a metal frame with no bumper, so it sounds like someone hitting the wall with a baseball bat. You can hear every sound in the corridor and adjacent room. The bathroom was clean, but needed paint desperately. The door frame, hinges and towel rack were all rusted. My room was on the first floor in the front, which is just a few feet from the road. Noise from passing cars and snow plows was impossible to ignore. This is not a place to get a sound nights sleep.

Room Tip: Ask for a room above the 1st floor and in the rear of the hotel, which faces the parking lot. The s...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank amjs13501
QualityMassenaGM, General Manager at Quality Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 2 March 2013

Thank you for your review. The rooms with full size beds are smaller than rooms with Queen or King beds. All rooms have a 3- drawer dresser, so I'm not sure why you stated otherwise; it was next to the fridge/microwave set-up. I apologize if I misunderstood that portion of your review. Feel free to contact me if you wish to discuss any issues you had.

Reviewed 22 February 2013

Couldn't sleep all night...doors sound like a high school corridor....shake the door to check if its locked and the whole floor wakes up....should invest in a few dollars of felt for the doors so they don't make such a racket...never heard of a hotel with doors like that....won't go back.
On the brighter side the staff was very polite and understanding...no credit for the aggrivation though

Room Tip: AC and doors will keep you awake...try asking for a quite side of the building...and good luck
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Dino P
Reviewed 17 February 2013

Everything about this hotel is wonderful, EXCEPT for something that's absolutely vital: noise privacy. The walls are so thin, you can hear everything in the room next to you. If your nighbor talks on the phone, you hear it like it's coming from inside your own room. If your neighbor turns on his TV, you'd better want to watch the same thing. As my neighbor arrived an unpacked his suitcase, I could literally hear every movement he made.

It's almost like having a roommate rather than a private hotel room. Although the service was good, the breakfast was great, and the room was perfectly clean, the complete lack of noise privacy made for a horrible stay. I would NEVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER recommend this hotel to anyone, except perhaps a deaf person who wouldn't mind. Do yourself a favor and try one of the other hotels in the area.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank BryanG589
QualityMassenaGM, General Manager at Quality Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2013

Thank you for your review. I'm sorry noise issues kept you from getting a good night's rest. We hope you will give us another opportunity in the future.

Reviewed 2 February 2013

When we checked in and saw our room, we were thrilled! The attached restaurant, very nice! The continental breakfast, loved it. Why you ask, did I only give this hotel a 2? I'll tell you with one very important word.....SOUNDPROOFING! After a long day on the road, we were very tired and just wanted a peaceful night's sleep. At exactly 12:15 a.m., our "next door neighbor" decided to make a 1.5 hour phone call on his cell. It not only woke us both us, but we could also hear EVERY SINGLE WORD HE SAID. I would only go back to this Quality Inn if I didn't have to sleep there, because believe me......you WON'T! Drive right on by.

Room Tip: If you could be on the end with nobody next door, maybe.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank WallkillMom
QualityMassenaGM, General Manager at Quality Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 3 February 2013

Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts. I'm sorry you were unable to get a good night's sleep. I hope you'll give us another chance the next time you are in Massena.

Reviewed 16 January 2013

Life's about the choices we make, as they say, and Choice is usually not at the top of my list of hotel brands because their consistency varies tremendously, even within the same brand. This property is a prime example. On the outside, a solid, nice looking, well furnished building with adequate, if not luxurious, rooms. Beneath the surface, however, a textbook example of just plain poor management. The hotel was undergoing a renovation and I was assigned a room right in the middle of it -- with all adjacent rooms being actively worked in well into the evening hours. Better yet, the corridor and foyer of the room were ceramic tile, so construction noise resonated into my room. When I complained to the front desk (where the noise could be clearly heard from two floors above), the agent said the hotel was "full" and there was nothing she could do, but that "the workers were putting on their finishing touches" and would be leaving shortly. After two hours, the "finishing touches" extended past 10 PM and I again visited the desk. The agent finally realized I wasn't going to accept "can't", called her manager at home, and magically procured an alternate room in a non-construction section of the building. The difference between mediocrity and excellence is often found in unusual or stressful situations, and this hotel clearly fails that test. Renovations are a necessary evil in the business, but it takes a level of management finesse to navigate through them. For example: telling the guest up front at the point of reservation and/or check in about the renovation, including the hours and anticipated disruptions. Completing the renovation in sections and not selling rooms within (or below) that section. Not allowing construction work during the evening/night hours. And the biggest one: Not letting the problem escalate....do it right the first time. Tell the guest not what you CAN'T do but what you CAN do....and then DO it. "Manage" is a verb. The only other lodging option in this one-horse town is a budget motel, so perhaps there is no motivation for the QI to be more than just good enough. Alas, a bad Choice on my part. Perhaps next time I'll make a wiser Hilt...er I mean, choice. (OH WOW -- I just scrolled down to the guest comment about being told to come to the desk to get a toilet plunger....that sort of puts the whole thing into perspective....I wonder if the guest had to mop the floor too?)

Room Tip: A couple of options: Super 8 motel down the road (at least you'll get motel prices for motel se...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank ROCchef
Reviewed 12 January 2013

I was here on business and chose this hotel, as there aren't many choices in the area. I (and everyone else) stayed on the first floor because there was work being done on the second floor. Anytime anyone walked out their door, it would SLAM behind them - very loud!! When I got back to the hotel after a long day of work, it seemed like I heard a SLAM every 45 seconds. The worst was in the morning; doors started SLAMming and waking me up before 5am. It was maddening. It would be pretty simple to eliminate this problem... management should have figured this out by now. Also, I found a sizeable spider in my room, and there were some cobwebs near the bed and corners. Disgusting - I'd rather sleep in my car.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank JamieLynn2158
QualityMassenaGM, General Manager at Quality Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 14 January 2013

Thank you for your review. I appreciate you taking the time to pass along your comments. I am very sorry for the disturbances you and your family endured. I will look into this matter for you. If you wish to follow up with me personally please don't hesitate to contact me.

Reviewed 12 January 2013

We have been staying at this hotel for years and many room have been nightly updated. For the past several years, we have stayed on the 4th floor and there are employees living in the east wing. We have repeatedly been woken up in the am from kids screeching down the halls, banging on the walls, riding motorized vehicles up and down. Including being woken up on Christmas morning. We come from the west coast and rise later in the am, but this shouldn't matter as the above is unprofessional and really unacceptable. I complain to the front desk every year and they say they will speak to the family. This year another of our relatives was also on the 4th floor and said they were "doorbell ditched ". Really? Saw the kids running down the hall after loudly knocking on their door. Those children should not be allowed to roam the hallways.

Room Tip: 4th floor is noisy with kids
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Debi L
Also consider these accommodations in or near Massena
Econo Lodge
Potsdam Inn
Potsdam Inn
#2 of 5 in Potsdam
Best Western Parkway Inn & Conference Centre

Been to Quality Inn? Share your experiences!