“Bring your own”

Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Massena
San Diego, California
“Bring your own”
Reviewed 7 April 2014

My company reservation system chose this hotel, naming it a preferred hotel for the destination. It was close to the jobsite I have been assigned to for 6 weeks. I arrived midday on a Monday. I had to work the afternoon so I accepted the only room they had available at that time, on the 1st floor. That evening, I returned from work and listened to a steady stream of people going through the fire door to the outside stairs, right next to my room door, slamming shut as they passed through. The next morning I left a note with the front desk saying if they couldn't move me to the top floor, I would be checking out when I returned that night. I am working a 12 hour day, 7 days a week, for 6 weeks. Quiet is the most important thing for my job. I was scheduled to work Noon to Midnight soon. The hotel left a message on my cell phone saying they'd move me to a top floor room, but it would be small. The size didn't bother me at all. In fact, it was very small. One full bed in a corner, one small desk/chair, fridge/microwave right next to the bed, and two dressers. The bathroom looked very clean, but once again small. Pedestal sink, with a ledge below a mirror, and a shower, but not enough space for a full bathtub. But it was quiet, in the extreme, which was good. Internet OK. TV OK. The fun started the second night in that room. I came back from work at 6PM to find the room cooler than expected, with the wall heater fan blowing full blast, but no heat coming out. I called the front desk. Clerk said I was lucky: everyone else was complaining about their rooms being too hot. It was April 2nd in upstate New York, not a good day to not have a room heater. Clerk said her maintenance had gone home at 3PM. She did come up and push the same buttons I did on the thermostat. No luck. I went to Walmart and bought a small space heater. The next day management left a note saying a water heater in the basement had gone bad, and was now fixed. I had removed the wall heater cover the night before and had found a nasty, clogged air filter with waves of white crud facing the outside. I mentioned that in my note to management the next morning. I came back from work the next day to find the filter replaced, and the room smelling of disinfectant. But it was too late. I developed a nasty cough that night, and it has since blossomed into a full blown cold. I stayed in the room until the next Monday, but never used the room heater again, only my space heater.

Look, I think the locals like this hotel. Parking lot sure filled up on Friday and Saturday. It is downtown, in Massena, and it has signs of much renovation. It is attached to a bar/restaurant. But they need to rip out that old heater system. It's a health issue. That's why I had to give a poor rating. I'm 50% sure I picked up some sort of respiratory ailment from the air circulating thorugh that clogged filter all day while I was at work.

Room Tip: I was in 422.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Bill D
QualityMassenaGM, General Manager at Quality Inn, responded to this review, 8 April 2014
Thank you for sharing your review. I'm sorry for the inconvenience you experienced while staying with us. Your satisfaction is very important to us and we will review your information to determine where and how we need to improve our service. I appreciate you taking the time to let us know how we are doing.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Reviewed 19 February 2014

We were in Massena for a youth wrestling tournament. Rather than leave our home at 5 am for weigh-in, we opted to arrive the night before. The staff was friendly and check-in was easy. Breakfast was quick and easy.

Parking was easy, and I know there had been a recent snow storm so I will not complain about the messy parking lot much. I do think a little effort with shovels would have made it easier to park and deal with the parking lot. Lots of salt on the side walk so no one slipped.

The room was small but certainly fit our needs.
The bathroom was very clean and stocked well.
There was no noise that bothered us, we had a back room (parking lot view).

My complaint the hotel can fix, however, is that what ever they used to deodorize the room was beyond strong. It gave me a head ache. It was a floral smell, that was like they were trying to cover up something else (cigarette smoke? mold? old room?) or maybe not.

We would stay here again, however.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Amanda R
QualityMassenaGM, General Manager at Quality Inn, responded to this review, 21 February 2014
Thank you for your review. We appreciate you taking the time to let us know how we are doing. We will take your advice and look into our use of the sprays we use. I'm sorry this caused you a problem. Don't hesitate to get in touch if you'd like to offer recommendations or discuss further. Hope to see you again soon.
Schenectady, New York
Reviewed 10 February 2014

The Quality Inn makes a good first impression: the lobby was inviting with a nice fire on a cold winter's day. My room was comfortable with a nice decor and cozy bed. The staff was nice and friendly too. The problem? The clientele! There was a sign on the bar-restaurant door that read "your first fight is your last fight." That says it all. Obviously this hotel is attracting it's share of lowlifes if it finds it necessary to post a sign like that. Speaking of the restaurant it too was comfortable but the food is quite mediocre, but what you'd expect for the price. The real problem comes at night when you try to sleep. There is constant noise all night. I was on a business trip and my colleague said it sounded like there was a working girl in the next room and she had to call the front desk at 1am when a car parked outside her window with a loud radio thumping her room. I'm not quite sure what the hotel can do about this. Massena is a depressed area and this is a discount hotel, which turns out to be a magnet for the wrong type. If you need to stay in St.Lawrence County, NY look for a place in Canton or Potsdam. I've stayed in those villages before and had no problems.

Room Tip: If you have to stay here demand a room on an upper floor. The noise may not be so bad.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Dave L
QualityMassenaGM, General Manager at Quality Inn, responded to this review, 12 February 2014
Thank you for your time in reviewing your stay. I'm sorry for the inconvenience you and your colleague endured as a result of some less courteous guests. We do our best to control these situations, and we feel our hotel is safe, but I understand your concerns. I hope you will come visit us again.

Travellers are raving about these Massena hotels

Niagara Falls, Canada
Reviewed 2 December 2013

I usually don't post any reviews or comments about anything but I am truly upset and when I get upset about something then there is something really wrong! So I do have to agree with many of the other reviews--- yes the walls are very thin. You can hear everything from the floor above to outside in the hallways. It was very loud at times. But overall it was a decent place until we were on our way home and my daughter realized she forgot her North Face Donali two-toned gray colour jacket/coat. So as we were packing everything up my husband saw it in the closet but did not pack it because he figured she would be wearing it (but she wore another jacket instead) so half-way home she realized she did not grab it. We stopped quickly to look in the suit case but unfortunately it was not in there. It was only in a two hour frame that this all happened which makes it even more upsetting. We called the hotel and asked (hopefully by chance someone would bring it to the to the Lost and Found) but no such luck. The girl who answered the phone was kind enough to check the room for us and the closest again but still unfortunately nothing was found. So just a reminder to everyone please remember to look in the dressers and closets before you leave the places you stay at because unfortunately sometimes they will be "Lost and Never Found."

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Cathy A
QualityMassenaGM, General Manager at Quality Inn, responded to this review, 6 December 2013
Thank you for posting your review. I am sorry your daughter lost her coat. The staff here makes every attempt to get items left by guests returned to them as quickly as possible. Please contact me directly if you have any concerns regarding this issue. I'll be more than happy to discuss them with you.
Asheville, North Carolina
Reviewed 30 November 2013 via mobile

I stayed there for a work night and it was great. I try to stay at the larger name brand hotels (Marriott, Hampton Inn, etc) and was surprised by this hotel. Very clean and neat. The girl (anna?) checking me in was very nice. Added benefit was the bar/restaurant attached. Would definitely stay at again in Massena!

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
QualityMassenaGM, General Manager at Quality Inn, responded to this review, 2 December 2013
Thank you for your review. It's greatly appreciated. Hope to see you again soon.
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 30 October 2013 via mobile

For a hotel that prides itself on the comfort of the bed, it is a crying shame that they know they have a noise problem and still put people in adjacent rooms when they have plenty of capacity. I got no sleep: the bed was hard but comfy, the sheets and pillow were fine, but the noise from my neighbors, from the people walking up the hall, from the fridge compressor at the bottom of the bed switching on and off all kept me awake. Then the painters arrived early in the morning but didn't mark the wet paint or say "hey, we just painted there" so now I have paint on my suit jacket and winter coat, sigh. I wanted them to be better but I'll stay somewhere else next time.

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank MLS99
QualityMassenaGM, General Manager at Quality Inn, responded to this review, 1 November 2013
Thank you for your review. I apologize for the noise issue you had, and the inconvenience it caused you. I sympathize with you completely, and know how important it is to get a good night's sleep. I am very sorry you had some clothing stained by paint. The painters should have known better. If you have since had the clothing professionally cleaned then call me directly and we can discuss reimbursing you.
Belleville, Canada
Reviewed 18 October 2013

The property was clean, there is an on-site restaurant. The bar is quite busy on Fri , local after-work crowd, I assume. The menu did not impress me, fried foods and iceberg lettuce salads. Some fresh veg and healthier options would be nice.

The room was adequate, I found nothing wrong with the accommodations. no problem with the bathroom at all.
The breakfast at Quality Inn is more than adequate. Your choice of eggs, bacon, yogurt, waffles, fresh fruit, baked goods (Dunkin donuts) etc. Which is included.... so, all in all, a good deal.

Hotel options are very limited in this area and in my opinion, Quality Inn should be ranked a little higher than it is.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank moirabelle
QualityMassenaGM, General Manager at Quality Inn, responded to this review, 19 October 2013
Thank you for your review. We hope you had a pleasant time while in Massena and that you'll stay with us again.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Massena
Econo Lodge
Akwesasne Mohawk Casino Resort
Hampton Inn Potsdam
Hampton Inn Potsdam
#1 of 5 in Potsdam

Been to Quality Inn? Share your experiences!