“Avoid - Overpriced, Dirty, Noisy”
Review of Quality Inn

Quality Inn
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Massena
Reviewed 14 July 2014

We stay in dozens of hotel rooms each year and this is one of the worst hotels we have ever visited! We were in Room 112 on 7/12, and it had peeling paint, badly rusted Heat/AC unit, dirty/greasy carpets, greasy bathroom floors, short & curlies in the tub and on the toilet, dirty-looking breadspreads, and I found half a granola bar next to the bed. Worst of all was the noise level. When we checked in, the place was very busy and when given a first floor room, we asked if we could be moved to a high floor away from the groups. We were told no other rooms of our type (2 queens, non-smoking) were available so we were stuck where we were. We checked in around 9pm and it had been a long day, so our family attempted to go to bed at 10pm. From 10pm until 12:30am, we were unable to fall asleep because every hotel door slams extremely loud - every five minutes we would hear BANG (corridor door) - loud talking / laughing in the hallway - BANG (room door or door at the other end of the corridor). Complaining would have been pointless because it wasn't a single person or group that was doing this, it was just the constant stream of traffic through our first floor corridor which connects the parking lot to the rest of the hotel, and they wouldn't have been able to move us, anyway. We heard lots of talking and laughing in the parking lot outside our window, too, which just added to the stress of trying to sleep (we had to get up at 5:45am to leave for our next destination). Then at 2:30am, the fire alarm went off for about 30 seconds (not long enough to evacuate, no idea why it went off to wake everyone up if they had actually managed to fall asleep). All this for $108/night in the middle of nowhere? When checking out, the desk clerk didn't ask how our stay was - and I was too angry and exhausted to even deal with it at that point. This was not a "Quality" Inn - this was one of the worst hotel experiences we have ever had! AVOID!!

Room Tip: Avoid the first floor
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank DJ607
QualityMassenaGM, General Manager at Quality Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

I apologize for the issues you had while staying with us and for the inconvenience it caused you and your family. You may contact the hotel directly and I'll be more than happy to discuss your stay with you. Thank you, and again, I am sorry.

Reviewed 3 June 2014

The whole "city" is near extinction. The hotel only a step above. I arrived on Memorial day for business on the following day. Thank God there was a drug store across the street where I was able to purchase a TV dinner, since the whole town was otherwise closed and the hotel restaurant with it.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank APRACS
QualityMassenaGM, General Manager at Quality Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2014

I'm sorry for the inconvenience of our restaurant being closed on Memorial Day. I know of several restaurants that were open that day; our guest service agents, I'm sure, would have been more than happy to assist you in finding one. If you asked, and they were not helpful, then please accept my apology.

Reviewed 30 May 2014

I stayed at this this hotel the personnel were very professional and helpful. I had reserved a single room with a double bed and was very uncomfortable the first night due to the layout of the room. The next morning I went to the desk and told them I wanted to cancel he rest of my stay . They offered to change my room with no additional charge to me. I was given a beautiful room, nicely decorated, quiet and comfortable. This is one of the nicest experiences I have had at a hotel and would highly recommend it !! I would also recommend the restaurant ( Dars ) for the excellent food & service .

Room Tip: Do not ask for a double single room as the rooms are much smaller & the layout is uncomfortable.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Linda A
QualityMassenaGM, General Manager at Quality Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2014

Thank you, Linda for your kind words. I appreciate you taking the time to let others know how your stay went. We look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed 20 May 2014

I booked this hotel without reading the other reviews. I disagree with most of them. When I checked in there was loud music being played, but I could not hear it in my room. Also I had no problem with slamming doors. My only real critique was that perhaps the pillows on the bed could have been a little larger, and I wish the layout of the bathroom was different. I would have preferred to look at a sink when I opened the door and not the toilet. Other than that I had an enjoyable stay.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Tammy P
QualityMassenaGM, General Manager at Quality Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2014

Thank you for your review. We're glad you had a good time visiting Massena and that we could be part of it. I appreciate your suggestion regarding the pillows; perhaps a change can be made there somewhere down the road. Thanks again!

Reviewed 11 April 2014

The area outside the hotel nice and they rent out their conference facility for a monthly party for the GLBT community which I thought was awesome. However, my room was quite dirty and the sheets made me feel itchy. I wouldn't even touch the carpet with slippers, I wore my shoes as it was dirty and worn. Front desk had an over ride for all room temperatures which they used each evening when we were sleeping. I wasn't impressed with this hotel and would not stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank TravelBud24
QualityMassenaGM, General Manager at Quality Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 14 April 2014

I apologize for the condition of your room upon check-in. That should not have happened, and we would have been more than happy to correct that issue for you. You do not state in your comments whether you informed the staff about this at the time. I am sorry for the inconvenience it caused you. As to the "over ride" you mentioned I don't know what you are referring to there. If you would like to comment further please don't hesitate to get in touch. Thank you.

Reviewed 7 April 2014

My company reservation system chose this hotel, naming it a preferred hotel for the destination. It was close to the jobsite I have been assigned to for 6 weeks. I arrived midday on a Monday. I had to work the afternoon so I accepted the only room they had available at that time, on the 1st floor. That evening, I returned from work and listened to a steady stream of people going through the fire door to the outside stairs, right next to my room door, slamming shut as they passed through. The next morning I left a note with the front desk saying if they couldn't move me to the top floor, I would be checking out when I returned that night. I am working a 12 hour day, 7 days a week, for 6 weeks. Quiet is the most important thing for my job. I was scheduled to work Noon to Midnight soon. The hotel left a message on my cell phone saying they'd move me to a top floor room, but it would be small. The size didn't bother me at all. In fact, it was very small. One full bed in a corner, one small desk/chair, fridge/microwave right next to the bed, and two dressers. The bathroom looked very clean, but once again small. Pedestal sink, with a ledge below a mirror, and a shower, but not enough space for a full bathtub. But it was quiet, in the extreme, which was good. Internet OK. TV OK. The fun started the second night in that room. I came back from work at 6PM to find the room cooler than expected, with the wall heater fan blowing full blast, but no heat coming out. I called the front desk. Clerk said I was lucky: everyone else was complaining about their rooms being too hot. It was April 2nd in upstate New York, not a good day to not have a room heater. Clerk said her maintenance had gone home at 3PM. She did come up and push the same buttons I did on the thermostat. No luck. I went to Walmart and bought a small space heater. The next day management left a note saying a water heater in the basement had gone bad, and was now fixed. I had removed the wall heater cover the night before and had found a nasty, clogged air filter with waves of white crud facing the outside. I mentioned that in my note to management the next morning. I came back from work the next day to find the filter replaced, and the room smelling of disinfectant. But it was too late. I developed a nasty cough that night, and it has since blossomed into a full blown cold. I stayed in the room until the next Monday, but never used the room heater again, only my space heater.

Look, I think the locals like this hotel. Parking lot sure filled up on Friday and Saturday. It is downtown, in Massena, and it has signs of much renovation. It is attached to a bar/restaurant. But they need to rip out that old heater system. It's a health issue. That's why I had to give a poor rating. I'm 50% sure I picked up some sort of respiratory ailment from the air circulating thorugh that clogged filter all day while I was at work.

Room Tip: I was in 422.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Bill D
QualityMassenaGM, General Manager at Quality Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2014

Thank you for sharing your review. I'm sorry for the inconvenience you experienced while staying with us. Your satisfaction is very important to us and we will review your information to determine where and how we need to improve our service. I appreciate you taking the time to let us know how we are doing.

Reviewed 19 February 2014

We were in Massena for a youth wrestling tournament. Rather than leave our home at 5 am for weigh-in, we opted to arrive the night before. The staff was friendly and check-in was easy. Breakfast was quick and easy.

Parking was easy, and I know there had been a recent snow storm so I will not complain about the messy parking lot much. I do think a little effort with shovels would have made it easier to park and deal with the parking lot. Lots of salt on the side walk so no one slipped.

The room was small but certainly fit our needs.
The bathroom was very clean and stocked well.
There was no noise that bothered us, we had a back room (parking lot view).

My complaint the hotel can fix, however, is that what ever they used to deodorize the room was beyond strong. It gave me a head ache. It was a floral smell, that was like they were trying to cover up something else (cigarette smoke? mold? old room?) or maybe not.

We would stay here again, however.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Amanda R
QualityMassenaGM, General Manager at Quality Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2014

Thank you for your review. We appreciate you taking the time to let us know how we are doing. We will take your advice and look into our use of the sprays we use. I'm sorry this caused you a problem. Don't hesitate to get in touch if you'd like to offer recommendations or discuss further. Hope to see you again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Massena
Econo Lodge
Best Western Parkway Inn & Conference Centre
Ramada Cornwall
Ramada Cornwall
#2 of 12 in Cornwall

Been to Quality Inn? Share your experiences!