“Well-priced for overnight stays”
Review of Econo Lodge

Econo Lodge
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Massena
Reviewed 1 April 2012

pros:
- friendly, helpful staff on reception
- well-priced (under $70 per night)
- mini- fridge in room
- rooms in back overlook a field and are quiet
- 5 min drive to arena, grocery store, etc

Cons:
- stale cigarette smell in lobby ( no problem with non-smoking room)
- not within walking distance of anything ( ie not the ideal location for a morning run!)
- flimsy sheets on bed ( not fitted) that move around in the night
- air conditioner/heating unit was hard to regulate as was the temp for the shower

Overall, fine for an overnight stay

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank CM Family
There are newer reviews for Econo Lodge

Reviewed 28 March 2012

Three adults were very comfortable in large room with 2 double beds and a pull out couch. Nothing fancy but clean and usable.

I found the front desk staff very pleasant even at the very late hour we checked in. When I went for coffee in the morning, maintenance was already working on improvements to the hotel's common areas.

I spoke with a gentleman that I suspect is either an owner or manager and commented to him that I could see that the hotel staff works hard at keeping the place clean and in good repair and that I could also see improvements/upgrades being done. He was very pleasant and asked if I had any concerns that should be addressed. When I told him that the only problem was the very worn out bed linens, he assured me that he would address that concern.

When I pass through that way again in a few months, Econo Lodge in Massena will be my hotel of choice.

It was refreshing to find a lodging that is putting time and money into making their guests feel welcomed.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Triciapomp
Reviewed 28 November 2011

We found this Motel clean and comfortable. I especially enjoyed the lazy boy chair. This has to be a first in our travels. Room was plenty big enough, bathroom was a bit on the small size, but room enough to manouvre Front desk person very helpful and polite. Continental breakfast was filling, toast, bagels, donuts, waffles, cerea,l juice, tea and coffee. ((Might have missed a few items)) But definitely enough choice for most people. I prefer the inside hallways which it has. It is in a quiet area on the west side of town, but close enough to shopping etc. I highly recommend this motel for all of the above reasons, and it is value priced also.

Room Tip: Probably on the back of motel away from the highway. The place backs on to fields/woods.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank _richardson_lj
Reviewed 13 November 2011

I have stayed at this motel before and have never been disappointed. It is located a bit outside of town, so there is little in line of restaurants/attractions nearby. It is a well maintained establishment and everything in the room works. Beds are comfortable. It certainly is not a resort, but a moderately priced motel that works hard to maintain the property it is a good place to spend the night and I would recommend it.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Foxjumper
Reviewed 24 October 2011

We stayed here during the Clarkson University Family Weekend. They raised their prices just for this, so we paid $130 a night, and definitely didn't get our money's worth. The good things were the friendly staff, the comfortable beds, and the large room. As others have said, the walls are thin, and although we had a corner room, and only one wall adjoining another room, the whole place is loud when people are moving around. The doors slam really hard, and people talking in normal voices echo loudly through the hallway. The second night I left the very loud (even on low) heating/cooling unit on all night just to have some white noise covering the rest. The "breakfast" was a disaster. They have one waffle iron and one toaster. With even 5 or 6 people in the small area, the wait to use them was far too long. There was no protein available, only sugary things. I got breakfast at McDonalds. And I did take a cup of coffee-flavored water, which was awful. Between the jacked-up price, the noise and the lack of a real, timely breakfast, it was not enjoyable. We will not return.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank twosleepy
Reviewed 5 October 2011

My husband and I both had a very pleasant stay we travel a lot with are two dogs and when we checked in Victor got us a nice room where a lot of people wouldn't be going by the room so the dogs wouldn't bark and it was near the grass so we didn't have far to walk to take them out . Every one was very nice and the rooms are large, very clean, and all the staff were very helpful !!! Would definitely stay there again

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 September 2011

Check in was quick. We had a room on the second floor; unfortunately,there is no elevator, so we hauled our bags up the stairs. We were pleasantly surprised when we entered the room - it was very large, even with a king size bed. There was a dresser with large screen TV on it, a microwave, iron, hair dryer, small table with chair (perfect for using a laptop- and the wi-fi connection was fast). In addition, there was a recliner - and still plenty of room to move around. The bathroom had a nice counter, and the shower had good flow volume and was very relaxing. We thought this was the best room on our entire trip - until we went to bed and the people in the room next to us returned. The walls must be made of cardboard, because we could hear their TV almost as if it was in our room, and we could even hear the guy yawning! We did manage to get to sleep, but at 6AM the neighbors got up - and so did we, although that wasn't our intent. The free breakfast was the basics - a few doughnuts, a couple of kinds of cereal, bread for toast, juice, and a waffle iron. It was more than sufficient, though. The room was very clean and roomy and would have easily gotten a five rating if not for the noise due to the thin walls.

Room Tip: Bring some ear plugs, you may need them.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank catcher24
Also consider these accommodations in or near Massena
Quality Inn
#3 of 5 in Potsdam
Comfort Inn
Comfort Inn
#7 of 12 in Cornwall

Been to Econo Lodge? Share your experiences!