“A Beautiful Experience”

Shinn Estate Farmhouse
Ranked #2 of 2 Mattituck B&B and Inns
Reviewed 27 August 2013

I recently had the pleasure of staying at Shinn Estate Farmhouse in Mattituck, New York. For two days my wife and I were in heaven. Barbara Shinn and her husband David Paige, the estate's owners, have done an incredible job making their bread and breakfast a cozy oasis. I felt like I was staying at a boutique B&B with its rustic chic decor. The rooms are tastefully decorated and I love the color scheme in each of the rooms. One of the best moments of our stay was breakfast. Since it was served at one particular time daily, guests who wanted to partake had to come down and sit at a farm style table in the kitchen. Not only was the food delicious but the table set up encouraged guest interaction. During our stay, the conversation with the other guests was lively and breakfast lasted longer than we expected both days. That was a fun way to meet new people and learn about all there's to do in the area.

The staff at the estate was great. With our stay, we received a free wine tasting and everything we sipped was worthy of purchasing. Don't expect a big sales push during the tasting. They really let your taste buds do the talking. If you stay during the week, which we did, I encourage taking the vineyard tour. It comes with a binder that contains stories that accompany makers along with way. This is a great way to learn about the Shinn's commitment to farming and will really make you appreciate the experience more.

We had such an amazing time that we're planning on going back. I can only imagine how beautiful it is in the fall. Here are some photos from our stay. Some are from the Shinn Estate and others are from different wineries we visited:

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 26 August 2013

I absolutely loved my stay at Shinn Estate Farmhouse. The house and rooms are beautifully furnished. The setting is intimate and pastoral. The staff and owners are gracious and welcoming. The breakfast prepared by the winemaker was superb, and made from mostly ingredients sourced right from the farm. This is without a doubt one of the best values out there! A truly unique and wonderful place to stay when you are visiting the North Fork. I can't wait to return!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 August 2013

Barbara and David made such a special wedding day for us. My family stayed at the bed and breakfast which I can honestly say my mother is still raving about the food and how lovely the B and B was. Its a great space to stay in....Very modern, clean, and comfortable.

As for the wedding itself they were very helpful throughout the planning process, coordinating, and adding special details that added to the overall experience. The wine, thought process behind it, and the beautiful vineyard itself was why we selected the space. The food was phenomenal and I must say I had so many people say to me afterward that it was the best wedding food they had ever had. Thank you again for everything Barbara and David!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank natrebuck
Reviewed 29 July 2013

My boyfriend and I and my sister and her husband stayed one night at Shinn this past weekend. We arrived to a friendly greeting from the staff and a free wine tasting (where we tasted our favorite wines of the whole weekend!). Our cab arrived half way through the tasting and we didn't have time to finish it, but it was no problem - they let us pick up where we left off when we returned in the evening. The room (called Tree House - it had it's own bathroom) was clean and comfortable. My only complaint (and it's very minor) is that the pillows are terribly uncomfortable. You lay your head down on them and it's almost as if they deflate! So if you have neck problems, definitely bring your own pillow!

We ended the stay with a superb home-cooked breakfast in the morning with the other guests. Everyone was friendly and the food was amazing!! I would highly recommend Shinn to anyone looking to stay in the area!

Room Tip: Try to choose one with it's own bathroom if you have the chance!
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank haileysita
Reviewed 15 July 2013

My husband and I spent a weekend at the Bed and Breakfast Vineyard our great friends Michael and Noelle had recommended we visit and we loved it. We stayed for two nights had a tasting and a tour of the vineyard with Barbara. What a great place to visit and stay at. We surely will return soon!!
Lucille Ventura

Reviewed 11 July 2013

The attention to detail is what makes this B&B impeccable. Barbara makes everyone feel like you are stepping into her home, from the cookies at the bedside to the warm and inventive breakfasts to the afternoon cheese plates. It is a very private and hospitable place and centralized to stay for wine tasting.

Don't forget to check out their new patio in the back, the yummy food David is preparing and a tour of the vineyard.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank dmblover31
Reviewed 30 May 2013

We love Shinn! We've been going there for our anniversary for the past 3 years and it never fails to impress. Beautiful rooms, stunning farm, lovely wines, delicious breakfast and charming hosts! Our favorite room is vineyard west. We love their wine so much, we served it at our wedding!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Czb_313
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mattituck
Cliffside Resort Condominiums
#1 of 8 in Cutchogue
The Gallery Hotel
The Gallery Hotel
#7 of 10 in Greenport

Been to Shinn Estate Farmhouse? Share your experiences!