“Good breakfast beautiful decor”
Review of House on the Hill - CLOSED

House on the Hill
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Seating
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Seating
“Good breakfast beautiful decor”
Reviewed 10 June 2012 via mobile

Looks like a B&B very clean and beautiful decor . An awesome view of Chautauqua Lake. We sat inside deck for outside sitting available. We went Sunday morning opens at 10 am. The service was a bit slow but I think training taking place early in the season. We each had quiche three onion mushroom and ham, served with a fruit cup and yogurt dip. Reasonable portion I guess a bit pricey for the area $9 plus $2 for a side of toast. I guess reasonable for a seasonable place maybe I am bit bit spoiled by the local Diners that serve breakfast and lunch only. Mayville is a nice little and historic town close to wine country and Amish farms.

Westfield, New York
“Great views and very good food”
Reviewed 7 January 2012

This is a seasonal restaurant that closes in the fall and opens again in the late srping. It sits up on a hill with a great view of Chautauqua Lake. There are outdoor seats on the surround porch, as well as dining inside. The food is very good and the wine list is good as well.

The service is prompt and friendly and the prices are moderate.

Visited September 2011
Buffalo, New York
“Unaccommodating in so many ways.”
Reviewed 30 August 2011

Went for lunch. Supposedly they serve until 2:30PM. We got there shortly after lunch hour rush on Friday-the start of the last weekend before Labor Day, the height of tourist season at Lake Chautaqua. There were 2 couples in the dining room and 5 people on the patio. There were 3 wait staff and a busboy, but it took almost 15 minutes to be seated while the waitress who, it turned out unfortunately, to be our waitress walked right by us without any acknowledgement of us or the foursome who came in following us. We asked to be seated outside since, after all, we were on Lake Chautaqua and wanted to enjoy the nice weather (not much of view since other restaurants block the lake view). Waitress said they had been busy. But, I feel that since there was plenty of wait staff, someone could have stopped wandering around picking up a single glass or piece of silverware at a time, left that to the busboy and waited on the customers. She had already put our menus on an inside table so with a grunt, she told US to pick up our menus and go outside! We then ordered the crepes, for which the restaurant is supposed to be famous. The waitress told us that they had run out of both savory and dessert crepes by noon (lunch starts at 11 AM)! It was disheartening since the crepes' description sounded delicious. This definitely limited our choices to the very ordinary hamburgers, salads, and sandwiches available at any eatery.
I told waitress I had some food allergies and handed her my list. She barely glanced at it and told me there was nothing that I could eat. After talking to her further, she realized she hadn't actually read my allergies and there were options. Both of us ordered shrimp & crab puff pastry ($13.95). The saffron was overpowering so that you couldn't taste the 2 shrimps or the crab and the pastry was greasy to the point that even with a serrated-edged knife, the pastry was quite impossible to cut. She never came back to see if we wanted refills on our drinks either, but since my hot tea was only lukewarm to start with it was no loss.
When she brought us the bill, I asked her if crepes were served for dinner and she said yes stating that the staff would make more crepe batter before the evening meal.
My big complaints are:
1. Crepe batter keeps for a couple of hours so why wouldn't the cook staff have made more batter at noon rather than ensure that no one could order a crepe for the remaining 2-1/2 hours of the lunch time, especially since crepes were also on the dinner menu and left over batter could have been used for the dinner crepes.
2. Also, I am not used to an upscale restaurant in this day and age making no effort to accommodate food allergies. It would have been a simple task to simply offer a plain shrimp cocktail or some thing grilled or broiled without extra seasonings added. We have been out in the "wilds" with only a diner or food shack available and even those cooks went out of their way to make sure I had a meal and they did it without any fuss or bother.

Sometimes it isn't even worth complaining, since the staff apparently was unmotivated and no management in sight, but we definitely won't go back again. We work too hard for our money to spend $40 for lunch to risk it again being another bad meal. Maybe if they don't run out of food and if their evening staff is more competent, you might want to try it. However, there were 2 other restaurants within 100 feet of this place, as well as several fine restaurants in the surrounding area so next time, we will go back to Hare and Hounds, Italian Fisherman, Webbs or Lakeview Docks where the staff seems glad to have customers and makes their guests feel welcome.

• Visited August 2011
3 Thank amyesmom
Columbus, Ohio
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Awesome view”
Reviewed 7 July 2011

I had my rehearsal dinner at this place and it is beautiful. The staff was amazing - they had the bar outside for us, and had a wonderful cocktail hour. Dinner was great, and the value was amazing. Best view in town for a nice dinner or breakfast!

• Visited August 2010
Buffalo, New York
“Depends on the day”
Reviewed 22 July 2010

I have been to House on the Hill numerous times over the last three years. The best meal by far is breakfast. While it is one of the more expensive breakfast spots in town, it is worth the money. The restaurant features quiches each day that are wonderful. They have recently started serving dinners, to which the menu is minimal and the food is just okay. Not really worth the prices for dinner. You're much better off going down the street to Olives if you're going to pay those prices. The service is hit or miss. The kitchen seemed to be getting used to the dinner flow when we dined there and waited for our meal for an unusually long time considering the number of fellow diners. Overall, great for breakfast, but wouldn't really recommend any other meals. In general, the atmosphere is pleasant with a view of the lake from the porch, but the inside doesn't seem to be air conditioned.