“Stupid staff”

Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Melville
Patchogue, New York, United States
“Stupid staff”
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Last month I attended a recption at the Democratic State Convention at the Huntington Hilton. Several things weren't done correctly so I called the sales and catering office the next day. When I told the staffer I was calling about the Democratic Convention reception I had attended (hoping they had more then one reception that night), I was asked what company I was with. I told the staffer I was not calling for a company since I had attended the Democratic Convention reception. When I got a reply of silence, I asked her if she knew the political parties in the country. Of course she said yes after hesitating again. Obviously she was too dumb to look up on her computer which groups were having a reception that night and didn't recognize a political party.
At the reception one of the waitresses either didn't speak English or had such a strong accent that when I asked her what hor d'oevre she was passing, I had no idea what she said. This is coming from someone who grew up in Brooklyn.
The kosher station (thank you Shelden Silver) served franks in blanket with mayo not mustard. When I told the sales and catering employee, she just replied that is what the caterer sent over. I have never heard of a kosher caterer doing this but then they did mislabel one of the dishes (they put down francais when it was marsailas). She didn't know who the caterer was. That is scary since you go to that department to set up your parties.
The employee did not take my phone number or email address to have the manager contact me. How is that for customer service?

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
EllenRuane, General Manager at Hilton Long Island/Huntington, responded to this review, 27 June 2014
Dear Annette L:

I apologize that our administrative assistant misunderstood you. In order to assist or connect you with the correct person, we typically ask what event or company the caller is referring to. We have already contacted the caterer after your call to let him know that he did not provide mustard and that the label was incorrect. Annette, you can reach me by calling 631-845-1000 and asking for me.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Reviewed 3 June 2014

The room was clean, spacious and well laid out. The vending machine on the 3rd floor gave out a different brand of ice tea than what was on the front of the machine, but only after the Dr. Pepper button was pushed ... Hmmm.

The internet setup is designed to scavenge more money from your wallet. The bar area was pleasant and conducive to meeting with co-workers.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Dear Wireleds888:

I am pleased to learn you enjoyed your stay with us and found our room clean and well laid out. We will let the owner of the vending machines know about the mix up in brands. I am glad you were able to conduct a meeting with your colleagues in our bar. We hope to serve you again.
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 2 June 2014

My visit to the Long Island Hilton was nice change to the city Hotels. Friendly staff upon my check in , room was tidy and big space. Had ac issue and maintenance ( Tito ) came up and change something in the wall then started working. Pool was new and busy, Bars were also busy but needed more staff. New lobby and rooms looks great. Shuttle drivers will take you anywhere in the area with a smile. Door lock not working had to get keys twice , supervisor Fred walked me to my room to make sure the keys were working. He then gave me breakfast for the inconvenience and advised me that in 30 days the Hotel will get new locks to all rooms. Called the front desk for toothbrush , phones very busy and waited 10 minutes for toothbrush. Overall the staff was very good and Hotel clean with a New Look ....

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Dear Larry W:

Thank you for your response. I am happy to learn you enjoyed your stay with us and that our engineer was able to correct the a/c issue. Our drivers will take guests anywhere in a five mile radius. The new key system will be installed at the end of August. Thank you for being our guest. We hope to serve you again.
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 31 May 2014

We arrived on a friday at 7pm. Rooms were not ready, when we finally got one of the two rooms we had reserved, that room was not made, the bathroom was disguting. After going back down to reception, we finally got our two rooms. We thought that all will go smoothly with our stay, well we were so wrong, our 20 years old boy who was staying with his cousin in a room decided at 1AM to go out to grab a bite for an hour, only to come back to his room that was broken into and his Mac Book Pro, his Iphone and Ipad were gone. After complaining to the hotel mangement and the security officer they assured me that they were on top of it. Well not only they are not doing anything about it but they confirmed that only two keys were printed therefore it had to be an inside job...

Bottom line, this has to be the worst hotel experience ever, from very poor service to robbery.

Gilles

Room Tip: Do not stay here ever
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Dear Gamar0525:

I do apologize for the rooms not being ready until 7 pm. We had a large group who unexpectedly departed very late in the afternoon. It is unfortunate that the front desk agent inadvertently checked you into a room that had yet to be serviced. As I explained to the family, there was no evidence of a break in and the only keys that entered the room were of the two occupants. Additionally, we cooperated fully with the police. I apologize that you and your family experienced this incident.
New York City, New York
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I arrived at the hotel expecting that customer service would not be good because of reviews posted on line. I was wrong,, do not believe what you read... The staff very friendly, rooms are large and clean.. hotel bars busy with good staff attending guests...I was upgraded to 4 floor with access to lounge on the 5th floor because of key issues with room doors. Manager Fred very apologetic and advised us that the hotel will be upgrading to new lock system within the next 60 days..We book with hotels.com and never get the treatment we received at this Hilton. We were at the bar having lunch and complaining about the cold water in the pool. Fred was in the bar and called the maintenance Manager to quickly fixed the problem and explained that the matter will be fixed by the next day. He gave us discount voucher for dinner and free drink vouchers,, very good to get free drinks , after the free drinks the water was not feeling cold any more. NICE hotel and Great staff.....I will tell all my friends and family and will post on Facebook the great customer service the Hilton provides......

Room Tip: ask for upgrade and get access to lounge, good eats....
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank jeff d
EllenRuane, General Manager at Hilton Long Island/Huntington, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Dear Jeff D:

I am happy to learn you enjoyed your stay at our hotel and found our staff to be accommodating. I am pleased to know that Fred was able to resolve your issue. The new key system should be installed by August. Thank you for being our guest.
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 May 2014

Stayed here for business for one night, hotel staff are exceptional, especially James Fallon who could not do enough to make my stay enjoyable. Lovely comfortable bed and a superb breakfast. Nice relaxing drink in the bar and food quality excellent. Would not hesitate to recommend this hotel

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Thompa1
Dear Thompa1:

Thank you for being our guest. I am very pleased you found our staff exceptional. We appreciate your recommendation. We look forward to your next return.
West Islip, United States
Reviewed 26 May 2014

Thank you for your wonderful hospitality ! We were extremely comfortable at the Hilton and everyone made us feel right at home ! Kids enjoyed the warm cookies and milk in our room before bed ! Thank you !

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Dear Louise S:

We are happy to learn you and your children enjoyed your weekend with us. We look forward to serving you again when you and your family need a break-cation. Thank you for being our guest.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Melville
Melville Marriott Long Island
Hilton Garden Inn Melville
Extended Stay America - Long Island - Melville
Homewood Suites Long Island - Melville
Courtyard Republic Airport Long Island/Farmingdale
Holiday Inn Plainview - Long Island

Been to Hilton Long Island/Huntington? Share your experiences!