“Nice Staff, Aging Property”

Melville Marriott Long Island
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Melville
Reviewed 26 May 2014

My recent stay at the Marriott Melville was for leisure travel. The hotel staff is exceptionally friendly. They genuinely want to be of service to you. The facility itself is very tired and aging. It reminded me of the Marriott I used to work in....20 years ago. The rooms were probably last remodeled about 10 years or so ago. The carpet is in desperate need of replacement...or at least a good cleaning. The bathroom was adequate for one person, but would be tight if traveling with a family. My room faced the interior of the hotel, which can be noisy, especially when the pool is open. It didn't really bother me because I only used the room to sleep. The water pressure was extremely low, even for a hotel. There is an in room fridge, which is a nice benefit. This hotel has potential, but needs a major overhaul. I'm also surprised to see there isn't a free tier for WiFi. Many full service upper class hotels offer this now.

Room Tip: If you are looking for a more peaceful stay, request an exterior facing room.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Megan W, Guest Relations Manager at Melville Marriott Long Island, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2014

Greetings Brian W,

Thank you for carving some time to share your feedback with us. I hear you loud and clear. we are happy to share that we are scheduled to start a full hotel renovation in October of 2014 starting with our lobby and Food and Beverage outlets. Soon after the Meeting space will be renovated followed by the sleeping rooms.
Thank you for your kind words regarding the staff. We look forward to hosting you in the future.
All the best,

There are newer reviews for Melville Marriott Long Island

Reviewed 24 May 2014

As a frequent Platinum Marriott guest and big fan of the hotel chain, I have a chance to stay a few times a year at the Melville location. This is one of the more tired locations in the network - rooms are desperately in need of renovation and have been for some time. On this occasion for example, the wood in our room's door was rotted through and literally breaking apart. The hotel services parties and catered events every time I have been here - which must mean they are bringing in the big profits and have not felt the need to upgrade the rooms and facility to Marriott standard.

In any event, the good - staff is always professional and generally friendly, although service was slow this time just because folks were busy and hotel was at 100 percent utilization. The indoor pool is great for the kids, and the hotel has a decent but small fitness center. Finally, breakfast buffet isn't bad. As a platinum member you get that included on weekends when lounge isn't offered - provided you know to choose that over points (they didn't tell me).

The bad - as stated, room hasn't been renovated in like 20 years and was quite used. That's manageable if clean, but room was pretty dirty (socks were black within 30 seconds of walking on carpet, bathroom was not up to clean standards, air vent was dirty beyond belief, etc). I already mentioned front door- which didn't affect my life but pretty crazy.

The location of this hotel is great - but management I guess has been willing to let this one go since it gets high utilization regardless of not being up to standard. I sort of feel for the staff- they work hard, are professional and courteous, and must know this is one of the rougher assignments in the entire marriott chain.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank lawlush
Megan W, Guest Relations Manager at Melville Marriott Long Island, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2014

Greetings lawlush,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We appreciate the feedback, good and constructive. I am disappointed we missed the mark in several areas where I know we can do better and for this I am very sorry.
I am thankful for the kind words regarding the staff, it goes a long way. I have great news!!!!!
We are slated to start a full lobby renovation in October of 2014. This will be followed by our meeting space and lastly our sleeping rooms. We are vey excited and we look forward to hosting you once again in the near future.

Reviewed 13 May 2014

Had business in the area and the Marriott was a very central location. The staff was very friendly - greeted outside at the door by Luis, offered a bottle of water during the check in process, free Wi-Fi for Marriott Rewards members. Very nice touches.
Overall the indoor space was nice, though the décor felt a little dated. The room was fine, because the sliding glass door opened to the walkway, we did not feel comfortable leaving the curtains open because anyone walking by can look right into the room. The gym offered a nice start to the day, but it did get very warm in the room. It could have been because the place was full (due to a rainy day) and the AC was not able to keep up with the load. Breakfast was tasty and reasonably priced. All in all a nice stay and would stay here again in the future.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 May 2014

The hotel is in a good location if you have business in the Melville area and the staff is very friendly. I was happy with the stay overall but the hotel is definitely an older property. And there was a big convention in the hotel's main interior area so the sound from all of the people gathering was easily heard in my room that faced this direction.

I also found someone's contact lens sitting on a towel in the bathroom (I'm assuming it was the guest before me). I can overlook an older hotel with a busy convention but I lose my enthusiasm when housekeeping misses things that gross me out. And not sure why one of the beds had some grit/sand on the sheets.

All in all it was an acceptable stay and I would probably visit again the next time I'm in the area on business --- which this place is perfect for. Note that the parking lot is not all that convenient and requires a bit of a walk (probably due to the many convention attendees). Also, the food on the Concierge level was just o.k.

1  Thank RockeeRhode
Megan W, Manager at Melville Marriott Long Island, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2014

Dear Rockee Road,

Thank you so much for taking the time and sharing your experience with us. I appreciate the kind words regarding our staff. I am dissapointed we missed the mark in cleanliness and we will use your feedback to take a step back and evaluate our current practices. There is no doubt we will redeem ourselves during your next visit.

Reviewed 18 April 2014

Many times when you visit a hotel little things are wrong with the room. At this hotel everything was perfect we asked for a firm mattress and we got one. The room where spacious and modern. The glass sliding door serves as a window to the inside of the hotel which is covered by a glass roof that gives you the feeling of being outside while being inside. You can walk along the inside walkway and outside hallway of your room. Really cool. Pool is on the main floor around the side complete with walls for privacy. The food was good also. The lighting was too bright in the dining room for dinner but that was a small point.

Reviewed 9 April 2014

Stayed for a night for a business meeting. Very much a business location, but worked well as such. Staff was over the top friendly, in a good way. Room was spotless, if not fancy. Dinner at the small restaurant was very good. Parking was easy. As Marriott gold, WiFi was free, and there was a good free breakfast in the concierge lounge.

If I'm in Melville on business again I'll stay here.

Reviewed 30 March 2014

I stayed at the Melville Mariott one night for business. My company rented out salons for business purposes the next day. The room I stayed in looked nice, and the king size bed was very comfortable. But the bathroom shower faucet fell off when I was taking a shower. It took 3 calls for someone to come. Water was flowing. They were apologetic and offered me a room discount. I was surprised that this would happen at a Mariott brand hotel. I also love swimming and the pool was not at all like the photo. BUT, the food was excellent! The food that was catered for my event was well done, and tasted great. I ordered a dinner that was terrific. The waiter that night, who I want to acknowledge was great. His name is Carlos Ramirez and he was courteous and friendly. Thank you Carlos. You made up for the bathroom at the Mariott!! Would I stay there again? Yes, I would just check my faucet in the bathroom first!

Room Tip: For a quiet room avoid any room near the ice machine.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Megan W, Manager at Melville Marriott Long Island, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2014

Good Day FemaleProfessor,

Thank you for your kind words about Carlos, he is truly an asset and we are lucky to have him. I am glad to see we met all your needs for your business meeting. I am very sorry you had trouble with the shower in your guest room, I am glad we were able to accommodate you.

Looking forward to hosting you again in the future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Melville
Hilton Garden Inn Melville
Hilton Long Island/Huntington
Homewood Suites by Hilton Melville - NY Hotel
Four Points by Sheraton Melville Long Island
Hampton Inn Long Island/Commack
Hyatt Regency Long Island
Hyatt Regency Long Island
#1 of 4 in Hauppauge

Been to Melville Marriott Long Island? Share your experiences!