“Top Notch Marriott - Top Notch Staff”

Melville Marriott Long Island
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Melville
Cleveland, OH
“Top Notch Marriott - Top Notch Staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

I'm a fan of Marriott's. Generally consistent. However, I must say that the staff at this location is exceptionally friendly and efficient.

Checked in around midnight and asked the front desk if they could drive me over to another national chain hotel nearby to pick up my rental car in the morning. The gentleman at the front desk asked what time (9am), and said he would be back on duty at that time and I should find him so he could arrange the transportation. The next morning I stepped off the elevator, he spotted me, and requested a driver before I even reached the front desk. Nice!

Driver was friendly and efficient, as was everyone that I made contact with. Room was comfortable, bathroom a tad small/dated.

My experience while picking up the rental car (at the other hotel) was less than stellar, and their front desk people were not nearly as helpful. As an aside, I mentioned the story to the front desk staff at the Marriott the problems that I had, and they starting apologizing FOR THE OTHER HOTEL.

Top notch staff (and obviously management at this location).

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Megan W, Guest Relations Manager at Melville Marriott Long Island, responded to this review, 5 July 2014
Hi there KMTOH,

We appreciate you taking the time to let us know how we are doing!!!. Your feedback is awesome and I cannot wait to share with the staff. You are our guest while in Melville and it is our responsibility to take care of you!!!!

We look forward to hosting you in the future!!!

All the best,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (202)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Long Island City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2014

My 3 children surprised me with a trip to the melville marriott for Dad's day weekend. Alison at the front desk was terrific. Sincere, professional and personable, she was the start of a very relaxing and fun weekend. In fact, we spent most of our time @ the Marriott enjoying the pool, which had a great and accomodating staff of Winston and John[maintenence].
Carmine @ the dining room could not have been more pleasant and terrific with the kids. Susan, one of the Managers is always impressive, bright, sincere and an asset to the hotel.

I found the entire staff from the bar/dining room, to nice restaurant to housekeeping a positive experience which I would recommend to anyone looking for a good value, with a winning staff,great location and super indoor pool.

Room Tip: rooms facing the outside are a bit more quiet.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Hello William G,

Thank you so much for such kind words and complimenting the staff. I will take pleasure in sharing your feedback with my associates and congratulating them for a job well done!!! We are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to hosting you in the future.

Wilmington, Delaware
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014

We stayed at this hotel for a social function nearby. The staff was very helpful. Parking is free. Good group rates. Didn't like that they charge for wi-fi, even though they competed it when we requested them to do so.

The design of the room, particularly the bathroom door, which opened against the sink...was awful.
Every time I opened the bathroom door, I had to make sure my husband was not at the sink..or I would have crushed him!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Megan W, Guest Relations Manager at Melville Marriott Long Island, responded to this review, 8 June 2014
Greetings BTKR,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us. I am very sorry we did not meet your expectations with several of our design features. I am glad my staff stepped up to the plate and took care of your internet charges.
We hope to host you again in the future.
Orlando, Florida, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2014

My recent stay at the Marriott Melville was for leisure travel. The hotel staff is exceptionally friendly. They genuinely want to be of service to you. The facility itself is very tired and aging. It reminded me of the Marriott I used to work in....20 years ago. The rooms were probably last remodeled about 10 years or so ago. The carpet is in desperate need of replacement...or at least a good cleaning. The bathroom was adequate for one person, but would be tight if traveling with a family. My room faced the interior of the hotel, which can be noisy, especially when the pool is open. It didn't really bother me because I only used the room to sleep. The water pressure was extremely low, even for a hotel. There is an in room fridge, which is a nice benefit. This hotel has potential, but needs a major overhaul. I'm also surprised to see there isn't a free tier for WiFi. Many full service upper class hotels offer this now.

Room Tip: If you are looking for a more peaceful stay, request an exterior facing room.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Megan W, Guest Relations Manager at Melville Marriott Long Island, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
Greetings Brian W,

Thank you for carving some time to share your feedback with us. I hear you loud and clear. we are happy to share that we are scheduled to start a full hotel renovation in October of 2014 starting with our lobby and Food and Beverage outlets. Soon after the Meeting space will be renovated followed by the sleeping rooms.
Thank you for your kind words regarding the staff. We look forward to hosting you in the future.
Glenwood, Maryland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2014 via mobile

As a frequent Platinum Marriott guest and big fan of the hotel chain, I have a chance to stay a few times a year at the Melville location. This is one of the more tired locations in the network - rooms are desperately in need of renovation and have been for some time. On this occasion for example, the wood in our room's door was rotted through and literally breaking apart. The hotel services parties and catered events every time I have been here - which must mean they are bringing in the big profits and have not felt the need to upgrade the rooms and facility to Marriott standard.

In any event, the good - staff is always professional and generally friendly, although service was slow this time just because folks were busy and hotel was at 100 percent utilization. The indoor pool is great for the kids, and the hotel has a decent but small fitness center. Finally, breakfast buffet isn't bad. As a platinum member you get that included on weekends when lounge isn't offered - provided you know to choose that over points (they didn't tell me).

The bad - as stated, room hasn't been renovated in like 20 years and was quite used. That's manageable if clean, but room was pretty dirty (socks were black within 30 seconds of walking on carpet, bathroom was not up to clean standards, air vent was dirty beyond belief, etc). I already mentioned front door- which didn't affect my life but pretty crazy.

The location of this hotel is great - but management I guess has been willing to let this one go since it gets high utilization regardless of not being up to standard. I sort of feel for the staff- they work hard, are professional and courteous, and must know this is one of the rougher assignments in the entire marriott chain.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank lawlush
Megan W, Guest Relations Manager at Melville Marriott Long Island, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
Greetings lawlush,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We appreciate the feedback, good and constructive. I am disappointed we missed the mark in several areas where I know we can do better and for this I am very sorry.
I am thankful for the kind words regarding the staff, it goes a long way. I have great news!!!!!
We are slated to start a full lobby renovation in October of 2014. This will be followed by our meeting space and lastly our sleeping rooms. We are vey excited and we look forward to hosting you once again in the near future.
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

Had business in the area and the Marriott was a very central location. The staff was very friendly - greeted outside at the door by Luis, offered a bottle of water during the check in process, free Wi-Fi for Marriott Rewards members. Very nice touches.
Overall the indoor space was nice, though the décor felt a little dated. The room was fine, because the sliding glass door opened to the walkway, we did not feel comfortable leaving the curtains open because anyone walking by can look right into the room. The gym offered a nice start to the day, but it did get very warm in the room. It could have been because the place was full (due to a rainy day) and the AC was not able to keep up with the load. Breakfast was tasty and reasonably priced. All in all a nice stay and would stay here again in the future.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Orange County, CA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2014

The hotel is in a good location if you have business in the Melville area and the staff is very friendly. I was happy with the stay overall but the hotel is definitely an older property. And there was a big convention in the hotel's main interior area so the sound from all of the people gathering was easily heard in my room that faced this direction.

I also found someone's contact lens sitting on a towel in the bathroom (I'm assuming it was the guest before me). I can overlook an older hotel with a busy convention but I lose my enthusiasm when housekeeping misses things that gross me out. And not sure why one of the beds had some grit/sand on the sheets.

All in all it was an acceptable stay and I would probably visit again the next time I'm in the area on business --- which this place is perfect for. Note that the parking lot is not all that convenient and requires a bit of a walk (probably due to the many convention attendees). Also, the food on the Concierge level was just o.k.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank RockeeRhode
Megan W, Manager at Melville Marriott Long Island, responded to this review, 6 May 2014
Dear Rockee Road,

Thank you so much for taking the time and sharing your experience with us. I appreciate the kind words regarding our staff. I am dissapointed we missed the mark in cleanliness and we will use your feedback to take a step back and evaluate our current practices. There is no doubt we will redeem ourselves during your next visit.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Melville
Hilton Garden Inn Melville
Hilton Long Island/Huntington
Viana Hotel & Spa, BW Premier Collection
Homewood Suites Long Island - Melville
The Inn At Fox Hollow Hotel
BEST WESTERN Woodbury Inn

Been to Melville Marriott Long Island? Share your experiences!