“Nice Place for A Business Traveler”

Melville Marriott Long Island
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Melville
Atlanta
“Nice Place for A Business Traveler”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

While I really liked this hotel, it is pricey. This is why I recommend for business travelers. The entire setup and services seem to be really geared toward deep pocket business travelers; from the concierge club even to the atrium bar (and grill), this was a really nice place. Had I just been visiting friends on long island, I would have stayed somewhere a wee bit cheaper.

You get all the amenities here, the staff is top notch, and the hotel is beautiful.

Room Tip: Stay on fourth floor if you can. That's the concierge club floor. Excellent breakfast at the clu...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (202)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Marlton, New Jersey
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Let me start by saying, the staff is one of the friendliest bunch, I have come across in my many years of travel. From the front desk, to the concierge lounge, to the bar, all super friendly. However, as extroardinary as they are, that can't make up for a property that is quickly showing it's age. In addition, half the rooms are inside facing atrium room. Totally undesirable due to noise. I travel to this area several times a month for business, and for a year and a half I tried to use this property exclusively. Each time with mixed results. I then switched back to the Uniondale Marriott, which I love. As A Marriott platinum member, I tried doing the commute from Uniondale to Melville, but gave up on Marriott in Long Island and have been using the Hilton. I tried contacting local management about my concerns. It seemed to get addressed the next time I stayed and then a couple weeks later, we're back to step one. Lesson to be learned here? Don't take Platinum members for granted. Just because we stay at Marriott 75+ nights a year! that doesn't mean we don't care.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank nickkats
Megan W, Guest Relations Manager at Melville Marriott Long Island, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Dear nikkats,

Thank you for taking your time to let us know how we are doing. I appreciate your loyalty to the Marriott Brand and we certainly would like to be your hotel of choice. I am delighted to read your awesome comments regarding the staff. Unfortunately, it seems we have not been not consistent enough to deserve your loyalty.
I am happy to share that starting in October 2014, we are starting our lobby and food and beverage outlet renovations. The new layout will re locate our bar away from the atrium minimizing evening noise considerably. Phase 2 and 3 of the renovation( meetings rooms/sleeping rooms) will follow.
I assure you that the renovations, once complete will match my awesome staff.
Carrollton, Virginia
Reviewed 26 July 2014

Typical Marriott. Great service from the moment you pull up to the front door. We arrived before noon for a reunion but they had a room ready for us already. Very appreciative of that service. The King size bed was extremely comfortable. One of the best we've slept in ever. I do not understand why they close down the bar in the lobby at 11:00 PM. You have to go to a side room to purchase a drink and then take it into the lobby. I can see them not wanting it to be loud and noisy as the lobby bar is outside of the rooms but if you can still take your drinks there then what is the difference??

Room Tip: they want to charge you for Wi-Fi but they will give it to you for free if you ask.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear PAULROBBINS,

Thank you very much for your kind words. I am pleased you enjoyed our King Bed and you had a restful evening. Did you know these are available to purchase at shopmarriott.com?
I understand the disappointment in having to close the main bar on the weekends at 11pm and relocating to another location. We will be renovating all of our Food and Beverage outlets starting in October of 2014 and our new design will allow us to keep the bar open until 1 am on the weekends once the project is complete.

Watertown
Reviewed 21 July 2014

When I was booking this hotel for a family event, I was very apprehensive after perusing the Trip Advisor reviews [or at least the ones that weren't complimentary] . . . I called thinking I had reached the hotel itself, but actually had reached the Marriott reservation line . . . which didn't exactly quell my fears because they didn't seem to want to address my questions in a specific manner.

SO, I contacted the hotel directly was fortunate enough to speak to Jason, who put my concerns at ease. However, upon arrival at the hotel, my experiences with EVERY single staff member quickly became the "shining star" of our stay. Not only did they accommodate my requests, they did a fabulous job of coordinating our rooms, so that our family could be closer to each other. This made it possible for the "wee ones" in our group to travel from room to room, from parents to grandparents to aunt/cousins without worrying about them.

Additionally, the staff was extremely helpful in finding nearby locations, including recommendations for a nail salon. It is one thing to recommend, but quite another to call and make the appt. and supply printed directions. Some might feel it is their job to do so, but it extends to sharing their preferences in a way that made me feel like I was being given a recommendation, like you would with a friend or colleague, not a stranger they might never see again.

In spite of holding SEVEN weddings on this same weekend, none of us [and there were 12 of us total] felt like we were being "short changed" in the treatment and attention we received. Clearly, the staff has been trained, successfully so, to make customer care a #1 priority.

As far as the concerns on Trip Advisor about the dated or aged facility, I would suggest that, although almost every hotel could use improvement, one cannot substitute for the quality of customer care. Our rooms, all three of them, were clean and overall the rooms were very comfortable. The one complaint, from our group, was the lack of a hot tub, but perhaps they will add that when they begin renovations this fall.

So should you fear Trip Advisor comments, perhaps, but not for this hotel. If in the event that you encounter difficulties, I know that the staff will do everything they can to provide you a solution that will make your stay enjoyable. There was not one single encounter I had or witnessed that was a prime example of superb customer service.

Room Tip: Book online at Marriott.com to take advantage of promotions. Ask for a room facing away from the At...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Megan W, Guest Relations Manager at Melville Marriott Long Island, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Good Day 2120 Nart,

I am very thankful of the review you gave to our hotel. I truly appreciate you taking the time to give a fair and honest review of the property. We work very hard to ensure that our service standards exceed expectations and it's very nice to learn that our staff was the difference during your stay. In the summer we are very busy with the wedding groups that stay with us, but our goal is always to make you feel like the only guests in the hotel.
We are slated to start renovations in the near future and are very excited to see the new changes coming.
We look forward to the chance to host you again.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Stayed here on business - very nice hotel right off highway. Close to good restaurants and you can drive to the shore in 30 minutes. Staff is helpful and very friendly - seems to be a good spot for conventions - lots of good sized rooms. Bar on site is very handy for after work.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Dear Peter D,

We are very happy to see that this "Marvelous Marriott" provided the service you have come to expect from our brand. When traveling on business, you have too many other things to worry about, it's great to see that we made your stay more comfortable.
We look forward to having you back with us soon.
Connecticut
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Spent two nights here for a wedding and the experience couldn't have been better. Friendly and helpful staff, and well-appointed rooms with comfortable beds. Room service was fast, food was surprisingly tasty and was even delivered hot by a friendly server. Expected to smell chlorine from the indoor pool adjacent to the lobby and bar, but we didn't.

A couple of things: it is a sprawling hotel and only four floors. They built out, not up, so you might have some serious walking to get to your room. Also, bathroom was small and tub bottom could have used a better scrubbing. Also, it appeared there was a charge for Internet access, although we didn't use it. That should be free.

If you are driving, it is conveniently located, just a block off the LIE (is that highway ever not crowded?).

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Greetings tedtom51,
Thank you so much for your wonderful comments about our hotel. It is great to see that we exceeeded your expectations during your trip to Long Island for a wedding. I will ensure that your comments are passed on to the room service and culinary staff.

Your comments and notes will prove most helpful for future travelers.
We look forward to hosting you again when on Long Island.
Scituate, Massachusetts
Reviewed 2 July 2014

We stayed here as part of a group and the staff were exceptionally of high quality. Our room fit the bill, but it was an outside room; we heard from friends who stayed in Atrium-facing rooms and they complained about the high noise level. Definitely ask for exterior-facing guest rooms.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Megan W, Guest Relations Manager at Melville Marriott Long Island, responded to this review, 5 July 2014
Hello MannHillBeachBum,

I am glad our hotel "suited your needs". I thank you for the nice words about the staff.

All the best,
Also consider these accommodations in or near Melville
Hilton Garden Inn Melville
Hilton Long Island/Huntington
Viana Hotel & Spa, BW Premier Collection
Homewood Suites Long Island - Melville
The Inn At Fox Hollow Hotel
Best Western Woodbury Inn

Been to Melville Marriott Long Island? Share your experiences!