“As expected!”

Gateway Inn
Gateway Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Merrick
Reviewed 21 August 2013

Went to see Jimmy Buffet at Jones Beach last light. Decided to stay in town, we didn't feel like driving 2 hrs back home. I have to agree with all the other positive reviews. Arrived at 11:00 pm. (By the way there's a 7-eleven next door for snacks) Quick service at the desk . In our room in 5 minutes. Agree with some other reviews the rooms aren't modern. But they are super clean. Bed and linens awesome. Left at 8:30 am. Fresh coffee, bagels and coffee cake in the lobby. I'll be staying here next year.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 11 August 2013

We stay at the Gateway Inn every August while visiting relatives in the area. The Gateway is a gem of a hotel. The staff are terrific, Kevin the Hotel Manager really cares about the guests & the staff and it shows in how the guests in turn treat the guests & each other. Jeremy who oversees the breakfast is attentive; he is always restocking items that are running low. Rooms are clean, updated and thoughtful. For example, we love the in wall night light in the bathroom. We look forward to visiting every year.

Room Tip: We like the main building the best.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Mary R
Reviewed 2 August 2013

We stayed at the Gateway Inn last week when we came into town for a concert. We picked this hotel based on the positive reviews and the price. From my first encounter on the telephone I was impressed with the friendliness and helpfulness of the staff. When we arrived I was equally impressed with the room. We were on the second floor and chose to pay the additional $5 to upgrade to a room facing the courtyard. Our room was very nice and bathroom was updated and very clean. I thought this hotel was as nice as any mid level chain hotel and what I liked even more was the staff who was friendly and professional. I prefer to stay at independents over chains. I could tell that the owner cared about the guest experience and takes pride in his/her hotel. Especially for the price and location this was a great find!

Room Tip: Rooms facing the courtyard are supposed to be quieter. We trusted other reviews and did upgrade to...
2  Thank greengirl11
Reviewed 29 July 2013

Second time I have stayed here. The place is not a Hilton, or Ritz Carlton. More like a shade or two below a Holiday Inn. But the place is clean and comfortable. The front desk is super friendly and will try to make your stay as pleasant as possible. Saturday morning all they had was a smoking room. Later that day they had a cancellation and I was able to get a non smoking room. They offer basic accommodations at fair prices. If you want more, please look somewhere else. If you want clean, quiet, comfortable (albeit small accommodations), this is the place. BTW there are not many other places to choose from.....lack of hotels in this area of Long Island. I would definitely stay there again. PS there is also a nice free continental breakfast downstairs.

2  Thank SteveM1
Reviewed 26 July 2013

Recently we were visiting family on Long Island. We stayed at the Gateway Inn, Merrick NY.

The service was outstanding and the amenities were perfect. Our room was on the 2nd floor very clean and quiet.

The staff could not do enough for us friendly and accommodating. The continental breakfast is a real plus. .

We highly recommend the Gateway Inn.

1  Thank lita r
Reviewed 8 July 2013

I have stayed in Gateway many times but this is my first time to write a review because I have only been a member of tripadvisor for about a year. We had to make last minute reservations due to the death of a friend in Freeport. Even though it was the July 4th weekend, they managed to fit me in. As soon as I walked in, Kevin Hofmann, welcomed me.
This is one of the oldest motels on Long Island and you would expect it to be frumpy but that is not the case. They are constantly updating it so it was no surprise to have a comfortable, clean room with a brand new carpet and all the amenities of a more expensive hotel. The windows open on a well manicured courtyard. There is coffee available 24/7 and a great continental breakfast. The staff really goes out of their way to accommodate you in a friendly way. There is central air conditioning and each room has its own control. There is no noisy air conditioner sticking through the wall.
We will be staying there again later in July and August. It's like going home to family.

Room Tip: Choose a room in the back or side as the traffic on Sunrise Highway can be a bother.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank John H
Reviewed 5 June 2013 via mobile

We needed a hotel for pne night to attend a funeral in the area. The staff was very friendly and went out of their way to accommodate us. A misunderstanding about holding rooms for us was rectified when we arrived and although they had already given our rooms away, the clerk upgraded us at no charge to larger rooms because they were what was available.
The price and positive reviews were what attracted us to stay here. We found the price accurate but the room and general property description in many of the reviews somewhat overrated. The rooms were clean but in great need of renovation. The bath uses a strong white single fluorescent light and has no exhaust fan, or
hair dryer. The room had no coffee maker or iron although there was coffee available at all times in the lobby. The tv in the rooms was a 20 inch old picture tube type which had a snowy picture. The lobby and breakfast area was very small and cramped and too crowded especially at breakfast time with very old furniture that was so low that I had to kneel on the floor to get up from. The continental breakfast was the usual fare, with good bagels, but the food was set out on a picnic table which further crowded the limited eating area.
To sum it up, I made reservations for all in our party and was somewhat embarrassed at my choice.

• Stayed: May 2013
4  Thank RICHARD P
Also consider these accommodations in or near Merrick
Ramada Rockville Centre
#2 of 4 in Rockville Centre
Econo Lodge Hicksville
Econo Lodge Hicksville
#1 of 2 in Hicksville

Been to Gateway Inn? Share your experiences!