“Mixed feelings”

Gateway Inn
Gateway Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Merrick
Reviewed 18 July 2014

On the positive side, all of the staff were extremely friendly and helpful , especially the weekend breakfast lady. The breakfast was very good and had a wide variety of food. If you are interested in the Long Island Railroad (we weren't), there is a stop across the street.
The biggest negative was that our room had a smell that I described as somebody had smoked in it and they tried to cover it up with disinfectant. When we complained, it was better, but I don't know if they did anything or it was just that we didn't need the air conditioner any more. We contacted the manager after we returned home and he was very concerned about this and said he would take care of us if we came down again. There were other little things such as no address on the email confirmation so I had to re-look it up; no hair dryers in the room---they were down at the desk which wasn't helpful when you just got our of the shower; only 2 towels (and not very large ones); and a one inch step from the bedroom to the bathroom. We covered it up with a hand towel to avoid stubbed toes during the night.

Room Tip: If you want a non-smoking room, make sure you don't get one of the recently converted non-smokin...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Luvocean3

Reviewed 25 May 2014 via mobile

My Mom and I stayed at The Gateway in Merrick, NY, for one night so we could attend the Barry Gibb Concert at the Nikon Theater of Jones Beach. It felt as if we stayed a week. We were greeted by Kevin the manager, who right away made us feel at home. Kevin was so helpful in giving us directions and suggesting places for us to eat! The Gateway Inn was easy to get to, right off of Sunrise Highway in Merrick and not too bad a ride to Jones Beach! My Mom and I thought the room was very clean and comfortable and we even had a mini fridge. The TV was a bit outdated considering that everyone has flat screens nowadays, but gave us free WiFi! The free Wifi was more important to me than the TV. The beds were clean and comfortable enough for us with our very bad backs. We had all the basics we needed for our overnight. The bathroom was not fancy and new, but was very clean and more than adequate clean towels on racks. Again, good enough for us. The only thing that I suggested to Kevin that the 3 parking spots right by the main entrance should be two of the spots , designated as handicapped parking only as parking in the rear and sides are a bit scary at night for someone who can't walk well or needs a wheelchair to get around. The next day, we enjoyed a more than adequate continental breakfast with really good New York bagels with cream cheese , butter and Jelly, many choices of cold/hot packets cereal, coffee/ tea, Orange juice and assorted pastries. The lady in charge of setting up and putting away the food was such a lovely local lady from Wantagh. I enjoyed talking to everyone there. Down the road, walking distance was a great informal eating place called The Pitstop. This eatery was featured on Diners, Drive ins and Dives with Guy Fieri. Overall, I gave the place a five star rating, not because of just the accommodations, but because of the friendly, helpful and family like environment! Thanks, Kevin for being such a nice guy and for treating my Mom and I like we were old friends. I will definitely come back when I want to visit Jones Beach for a concert or just to visit the beach !

Stayed: May 2014
4  Thank Debbie L
Reviewed 27 February 2014

This hotel had the minimum. I expect more from somewhere I have to pay over a hundred dollars for, but it didn't have it. It was generally clean, but that was it. The pillows were very small the tv was old, the breakfast was minimal and the keys were something I haven't seen since the 80's.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 February 2014

I came to stay at Gateway Inn in the summer of 2013 because we were burying my Bonus dad. This was a sad time, he was one of the best friends I've ever had and I loved him dearly. I arrived before the rest of my family and wanted to just get comfortable, get food and rest. I have a disability, walking and traveling make it worse. When I found my room was upstairs and there wasn't an elevator, the young man behind the desk helped me with everything. Later that night, I struggled with getting my computer to work with the wireless, I needed another blanket and pillows and a few other things. I called the front desk with questions and they couldn't have been more helpful and kinder. He went out of his way to help me with the computer and anything else. Throughout my stay I had all I needed. Obviously the hotel is not the shinies, newest of decor, however, when you get the kind of service from beginning to end, who cares how old the pictures on the walls are or the chairs are out of 'style'. I found that part charming. I've stayed at the Ritz Carlton in DC and other fine, four star accommodations throughout the US. I would stay at Gateway Inn every time, with it's charming staff and welcoming attitude. It felt personal and comforting. Breakfast was just wonderful as well. My entire family enjoyed their stay. Thank you! If I ever make it there again, I'll be back to YOU! I wish I could remember names, but just know, EVERYONE I encountered was fantastic.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Gypsi L
Reviewed 22 January 2014

Gateway Inn is on Sunrise HWY-a major road, near the Merrick LIRR station, and a short drive from Jones Beach. Overall, I liked it because it was close to the family we were visiting and it had pretty much everything we needed. My husband found the beds hard and uncomfortable and is not too keen on going back. Rooms were clean; bathroom is small. Breakfast included cereal, fruit, pastries and real NY bagels. We had a room in the main bldg away from the road so it was quiet.

Tip: if you plan to take the LIRR on a weekday, get an early start or walk there, weather permitting. Parking fills with commuters and you may have to walk half the distance from the hotel within the parking lot. The cafe on street level at thee station has decent food if you want more than the continental breakfast before getting on your way.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room. Rooms in main building, courtyard side seem to work.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank lrhoust
Reviewed 21 October 2013

Found this hotel on Columbus Day Weekend on busy Long Island after an exhausting search through another hotel staff member who led us to this hotel.

We called the Gateway Inn and spoke to Kevin, who was an absolute angel. Kevin provided us with exact driving directions to the hotel and upgraded us to a beautiful huge room on the first floor. Kevin even assisted us with our luggage out of the car and even brought it up to our room, this is above and beyond amazing service. After a difficult day of travelling, Kevin made us feel welcome and made sure that we were well taken care of. This is what hospitality is all about!

As for the room, it was spotless. Clean, comfortable king size, comfortable sofa, nice desk and huge window that spanned the length of the wall.

The breakfast area was maintained by a very hard working young man who took such attention to his job that it was a delight to see and experience. The area was spotlessly clean and perfectly arranged with the best bagels and bialys that I have ever tasted. There also was an assortment of sweet cakes, juices and coffees that were equally as delicious. All were of a higher caliber than the standard continental fare included in most hotels.

As far as the location, it was great. Situated on Sunrise Highway within easy driving distance to all parts of Long Island and Queens it was ideal. We only spent one night there as we already had reservations elsewhere, but would have liked to have been able to stay another night.

Would we go back to this hotel? YES! Most definitely yes!
Great location, clean rooms, very friendly staff makes this a delightful place to stay.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Phoenix33
Reviewed 24 September 2013

I stayed at the Gateway for four nights. The staff and service are top notch - better than I've experienced in many 5-star hotels! It was a pleasant shock to be greeted by name when passing through the lobby. That's the good part.

My room was upstairs, in the rear of the building, which apparently has not been refurbished yet. The room was a "no smoking" (complete with a "smoke and we'll fine you" warning sign), but there was a deeply embedded smoke stench that infiltrated the room. My suitcase stunk of smoke when I checked out! The room itself was fine and perfectly clean, except for the nearly unbearable smell.

Friends stayed in a room in the main building and that was MUCH nicer. It was fresh and clean and exactly what I was expecting when I checked into my "garden room".

They were working on painting the exterior trim while I was there. I'm hoping that this means an interior overhaul of the "non-smoking" rooms is next!

I would stay again but definitely NOT in a "garden room".

Room Tip: Unless you're a smoker, avoid the garden rooms!
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Bottombet
Also consider these accommodations in or near Merrick
Ramada Rockville Centre
#1 of 1 in Uniondale
Econo Lodge Hicksville
Econo Lodge Hicksville
#1 of 2 in Hicksville

Been to Gateway Inn? Share your experiences!