“Who needs sleep???”

Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Middletown
NORTH WILKESBORO
“Who needs sleep???”
Reviewed 25 September 2012

I stayed here a week for work. First 2 days were good. 3rd day, no water. Had to go to a neighboring hotel to shower for work.I was told my folio would be looked over, never heard another thing about it, let alone a discount or refund for inconvenience! Next day, housekeeping chose to phone the room (after the DO NOT DISTURB) were clearly posted. Almost immediately after hanging up with the housekeeper, the front desk chose to call the room, stating housekeeping wanted in. Really??? What's the use in a do not disturb sign if it means nothing to the employees. I was up for work & when I got back to the room each day/night it was approx 3 am. Therefore, 8 am is not a time for me to be happy when awoken to some needless call from housekeeping. Needless to say, I will not make a return stay at this particular hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Baldwin, New York, United States
Reviewed 22 August 2012

According to past reviews I read, when I stayed I would be subjected to hookers running the halls, Section 8 residents smoking and arguing in the halls, surly staff, and generally, taking my lifew into my hands.

True - the hotel is old and in serious need of rehabilitation (which seems to be taking place, albeit slowly). Yes, the pool is still closed and doesn't look like it will open again in this century.

But, for the cost, it will not that bad. The rooms were clean, well air-conditioned, TV worked, bathroom fully stocked with towels, soap and shampoo, and the carpet cleaned.

Also, staff was walking the property checking around, making sure security doors were locked, and cleaning up the litter.

Also, staff was aware of the past problems and reviews, and honestly agreed with past complaints. The new owners cleaned out the hotel of those Section 8 residents, refused new state funding to house said people and is now spending money in fixing-up the hotel.

This hotel is not for long-term stays, but for a 1 or 2 nights, you go do worse.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
MiddBanta11, General Manager at Howard Johnson Hotel Middletown, responded to this review, 7 December 2012
Dear Traveller:
Your comments are much appreciated. Here at the property, we like nothing better than to receive feedback that reinforces that we're either doing things right and/or taking steps in the right direction. Hoping we continue to move in the right direction for you and all of our other faithful guests.

Yours in Lodging,
845.342.5822
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed 5 August 2012

I stayed here two weekend nights at the end of July while picking up my daughter from a local theater camp. Having read the reviews beforehand I was a little concerned but I was traveling alone and have stayed in all sorts of hotels through many years of business/vacation travel. Basically the price was right. Check in was friendly and quick. The property looks to have had a makeover in the last couple of years. Carpet, paint and bathrooms are recent and not in need of updating for a budget hotel. It's a fairly large two story hotel and my room was pretty much in the center of the building. I was there on a Friday and Saturday night and although the hotel seemed to be pretty well booked I found it to be perfectly quiet late at night. There are long term residents but they are working guys employed by an electrical service company and don't seem to bother anyone. They keep their trucks parked at the far end of the parking lot. Don't see why anyone would complain about them. There is a Perkins in what was probably at one time the HOJO restaurant. There is a Buffalo Wild Wings at the other end of the parking lot which is convenient for a night cap or dinner. The pool which is indoors is closed off and doesn't look like it will open anytime soon so if you have kids and need a pool this wouldn't be a great choice. Housekeeping is prompt but a little forgetful in replenishing things like coffee refills. In short you get a clean, recently updated room with coffee maker, mini-fridge, microwave in a quiet property located conveniently for a lower price than the local competition. If you're looking for more you might be disappointed. I give it an honest three stars.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Buddy S
MiddBanta11, General Manager at Howard Johnson Hotel Middletown, responded to this review, 18 September 2012
I appreciate your inclusive feedback regarding our property during your specific stays with us. We are making incremental changes to cleaning procedures, front desk procedures and our services - so we anticipate things continuing to improve. Consider visiting us again!

Many thanks,
Derby
Reviewed 26 July 2012

I hadn't been to this hotel in 19 years and was disappointed to see that nothing and I mean nothing had been redone in that time. Same carpets, same wallpaper, same comforters on the beds. The 2 best things about this motel are the girls at the front desk who are quite helpful and friendly and the Perkins Restaurant attached. Otherwise, a huge disappointment. I'm glad my reason for being in town meant I spent very, very little time in the room.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
Thank you for your candid feedback. I recognize that it can be frustrating to re-visit a property that doesn't appear to keep up with current trends in decor and services. Ownership has begun working on a master plan will include many modifications, but we're asking that our guests be as patient as possible - such large investment takes time to plan properly. We have introduced new bedding in guest rooms and hope to add some additional interim amenities in the meantime.

Hope you continue to stay with us as your travels into the area dictate.

845.342.5822
Canton, MA
Reviewed 28 June 2012

I stayed here last year (June 2011) and then read the reviews. I should have read them first and then gone some where else. I, like everyone else, have a tight budget. This hotel is certainly budget friendly. I did stay here again just last week. Stayed for a few days on a leisurely trip with my fiance. The pool that was under contruction last year, STILL is not finished and doesn't look like it has had any further work done to it. We were upgraded to the only suite they had because the person they had in our room decided they were staying longer. Only half of the AC Unit worked and mind you it was 97 degrees for the entire time we were there. They also have people who live there. One lady, two doors down, has 4 dogs that love to bark. The Super 8 that is in the same parking lot, doesn't look very welcoming either. If you are staying ONE night, it's tolerable. If you are staying longer, they don't change the sheets, they don't vacuum and the clean towels didn't look very clean.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
, General Manager at Howard Johnson Hotel Middletown, responded to this review, 1 July 2012
Dear Traveller:
I know from your review that I had responded directly to your concerns regarding your recent stay. Again, I am sorry that the water conservation program collateral was missing from your room indicating the program that we support as a Wyndham property. I was disappointed that the vacuuming wasn't done along with the basic daily housekeeping services that should have been addressed and I have alerted the maintenance team to the partially working A/C unit. Like you, we are eagerly awaiting further developments on the pool renovation - this capital undertaking by the owners is at their discretion. Please accept my apologies for these things that took away from your overall stay. My team and I will continue to work on issues that are in our direct control.

Howard Johnson - Middletown, NY
Elmira, New York
Reviewed 7 June 2012

bad room that reeks of cigarettes and the bathtub had cigarette burns all over. this was supposed to be a non smoking room! there was also a large stain on the carpet by the window.One of the worst rooms I have ever stayed in.

Room Tip: go else where
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
MiddBanta11, General Manager at Howard Johnson Hotel Middletown, responded to this review, 14 June 2012
Thank you for your candid feedback. I have begun implementing a number of solutions to this problem that my entire staff will be involved with. From the use of more effective cleaning products and procedures from housekeeping & maintenance to better room inventory management by our front desk staff - we will minimize the negative impact of being a hotel that still allots some smoking rooms to our guests. I hope you will consider utilizing our hotel again in order to have a more satisfactory stay. Thank you in advance for allowing us to be your host hotel in the future.

Safe travels to you this summer.
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 30 May 2012

I have to agree with some of the other reviews that Perkins is one of the best reasons to stay here. The rooms are comfortable and it is a decent location if you're heading to the NY Renn Faire in Tuxedo. My husband and I have been traveling to this hotel for 3 years now for the Faire. We find it to be a comfortable stay. It is a great place for a budget (hotels.com works with them) too.

Room Tip: If you want a non-smoking room, be sure to ask for it.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
Thank you for your comments. We are pleased to be able to meet your needs. Our hopes re to continue to working on those things in our control and to enchance services moving forward. Thank you for placing your business with us.

See you again!

Howard Johnson Hotel - Middletown
Also consider these accommodations in or near Middletown
HOME2 Suites by Hilton Middletown
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Middletown
Holiday Inn Middletown
Holiday Inn Middletown
#5 of 8 in Middletown
Hampton Inn by Hilton Middletown
Courtyard by Marriott Middletown
Comfort Inn &; Suites Goshen / Middletown

Been to Howard Johnson Hotel Middletown? Share your experiences!