“It was ok”

Holiday Inn Middletown
Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Middletown
Reviewed 6 July 2014

This hotel is nice, Nothing stands out as remarkable. My husband and I stayed here for a little getaway. The staff was very nice. The room was clean and I liked the surge protector screwed into the desk for extra outlets. The hotel has and indoor and outdoor pool. The thing I found to be the most odd was they have carpeting around the indoor pool. I don't know how sanitary it is but the room didn't smell musty at all. The one thing is the channel selection isn't very good. A lot of hotels are putting cable boxes in all the rooms. We would stay here again if we were in the area.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Middletown, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2014

Dear Nancy S,

Thank you for writing a review following your recent stay. We are very glad to read that you chose our hotel for your little getaway and that you found our staff nice. On the other hand, it is unfortunate that you found the channel selections limiting during your stay. We apologize for any shortcomings you may have experienced.

As a valued guest, we appreciate all the feedback we receive as this is our best resource for improvement. Should your future travel plans bring you back to the area, we look forward to serving you again when you can enjoy all the hotel amenities.

Kind Regards,

Tracy V.

Reviewed 26 June 2014

We stayed one night enroute back to Boston. It had been a long day and we had a tough time finding this place with all the road construction in front of the entrance. Once there we were thrilled. The desk staff charming and helpful. We picked it for outdoor pool which we must have in summer. The pool was amazing; lovely tree shaded grounds, clean, quiet. Perfect for a dip and a bit of sun after the drive. We ate in the hotel for dinner. Wonderful meal, but portions very large, too large. Chicken marsala very tasty. Great bread basket. Wonderful service. We met the manager Matt who was so pleasant and helpful. We would stay there again. The room was spacious, clean, coffee provided. Loved this place.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 June 2014

This property deserves about 2-1/2 stars. It does nothing terrible but nothing well either. Depending on price, the nearby Hilton Garden and Courtyards are much nicer alternatives.
-As mentioned by other reviewers, there are a variety of smells going on here. My room required period sprayings of Febreze to help mask stale odor. Definitely not for hypoallergenic guests.
-Rooms have been remodeled including popcorn sprayed on the existing suspended ceiling. There's still wear including sloppy electrical receptacles.
-TIght bathroom space around the toilet. The shower head could be used as high pressure spray washer.
-Noisy wall-mount HVAC.
-WiFi worked well.
-On premise bar
-On premise restaurant offering good breakfasts but any vouchers don't cover the full menu.
-The desk chair was very worn and required pillows.
-The room had a microwave and refrigerator but the refrigerator had to be pulled out and crawled behind to plug its AC cord in.
-The TV had a noisy picture on all of the channels - definitely not HD.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Conraveler
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Middletown, responded to this reviewResponded 22 June 2014

Dear Conraveler,

Thank you for your recent stay with us and reviewing our property. I am happy to hear that the Internet connection worked well for you and that you enjoyed the breakfast selection.

Please accept our sincerest apologies for any inconvenience the room condition, particularly the odor and noise challenges may have caused you. I have taken note of your comments and we will address these points to improve upon our guest services.

Thank you and we hope to have an opportunity to serve you again.

Best Regards,

John O

Reviewed 3 June 2014

Thank you to Robert, the kind gentleman that checked us in on the third shift. We came in after driving for 24 hours and he couldn't have been nicer. He helped reserve my reservation, and gave me easy directions to our spacious, clean, comfortable room. We got a great night of sleep. The hotel is bigger than it looks, offering both an indoor and outdoor pool, a bar, and easily access able vending machines. The lobby is lovely, with a fireplace and a pretty water feature. What a great find!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I stayed at this Holiday Inn for one night, May 17th, as part of a birding trip. This meant I needed to get up early (6am), and when I was assigned a room near the public areas (bar, restaurant, pool, computer room) and between these public areas and the only elevator, I asked for a room in a quieter area.

The woman waiting on me searched the computer, looked uncomfortable, and said there was nothing available. I looked through the window at the empty parking lot, and asked, "Nothing? Absolutely nothing?" The second clerk said loudly, "There are no rooms left." I said, "You are telling me there are absolutely no rooms? That every room is occupied?" The woman said, "Yes," and the two women exchanged looks. The second clerk then added, "If you have a problem, call and we will change your room if there is a cancellation." I replied, "So, every room is not occupied. Otherwise, there wouldn't be rooms available if there is a cancellation." The two women both repeated that there were no rooms left. We went around and around about this, till I finally went to the room and called the Holiday Inn national number.

After 30-minutes on the phone, I finally got someone at Holiday Inn customer services located in the United States. To make a long story short, she finally contacted the hotel manager, who came to my door. (In the 1-hour I spent in this room, three noisy parties paused to have conversations right outside my door. In addition, empty pillowcases were lying on one of the beds, apparently left there by the cleaning staff.) The manager said what the customer service person had said, that there were probably rooms reserved for customers. I told him, as I had told the CS person, that I had called the week before and was told that the rooms were assigned on a first-come-first-served basis. (I have never ever been told anything any differently by an Holiday Inn staff.)

The manager apologized and said he would look into it. After dinner, I was told by the desk staff (the same two women), that my new room on the second floor was ready. In addition, my rate was adjusted and I was offered a free breakfast (which I couldn't accept since their breakfast starts at 7am, too late for birders). I appreciate the manager's prompt reaction to my complaint, but I still don't know why I had to word so hard to get a room change.

In addition to the above problem, I was not recognized as an IHG rewards club member when I checked in. When I asked for my rewards club bonus (my friend, who had checked in earlier received a bottle of water and chips), the desk clerk looked annoyed, grudgingly gave me a bottle of water and said they were out of chips.

Dinner at the restaurant was mediocre. The service was good, but the food was bad. I ordered a Caesar Salad with chicken, and received a salad with small overcooked, dry chicken cutlets on top.

All in all, I don't think this Holiday Inn adheres to the welcome and service and clearning policies promoted by the Holiday Inn company.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Donna S
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Middletown, responded to this reviewResponded 15 June 2014

Dear Donna S,

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay at our hotel. As a valued IHG Rewards member, I am so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. We hope to have the honor of serving you again should your travels bring you back to the area.

Kind Regards,

Tracy V.

Reviewed 24 May 2014

This place is lost in the 80's. Has not beed updated to meet express or suites specs. Not a bad experience, but not what you have come to expect from a modern IHG property. Indoor pool area is decent, the restaurant/ free breakfast is a bit of a chore. But not terrible if you can get a good rate

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank bigvin72
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Middletown, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2014

Dear bigvin72,

Ben J

Reviewed 21 May 2014

We stayed for 3 days to visit with family. The hotel has been refurbished and is very nice. The first night our room was musty and smelled of of old cigarette smoke. We turned the fan on high and that did the trick. The room was very clean and comfortable. The food for breakfast and for dinner was very good but the wait staff was slow, poorly trained and disorganized. They were courteous and tried but did not know what they were doing. They must have been short handed because i saw our waiter vacuuming the hallway. All in all it was good and we dot a great deal on the price.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Middletown
Hampton Inn Middletown
Sleep Inn & Suites
Sleep Inn & Suites
#4 of 9 in Middletown
Comfort Inn &; Suites Goshen / Middletown

Been to Holiday Inn Middletown? Share your experiences!