“Excellent Experience at Orvis Fly Fishing School”

Orvis Sandanona Shooting Grounds
Ranked #5 of 10 things to do in Millbrook
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Orvis Sandanona Shooting Grounds: Sporting Clays, Shooting Lessons, Fly Casting Lessons, Corporate Outings, Fly Fishing and Wing Shooting Schools, Retail Store, lunch restaurant, and more
Reviewed 4 May 2013

I recommend the Orvis Fly Fishing School, particularly Orvis Sandnona Millbrook, NY. I had the pleasure and benefit of the instructor, Bob Meyen, who was meticulous in preparing and delivering and excellent 2 day course. It was quite clear that his knowledge of experience of more then half of century was acquired through sheer love of the sport and enjoyed equally educating others. I felt like he was teaching us as though we were his personal friend or family member. What I am most surprised about is how much he was able to teach in such a short 2 days. Fly fishing is new to me but I know that I now have the knowledge to build upon for my new found favorite hobby. I have Orvis and Bob to thank for this.

2  Thank L F

Reviewed 23 February 2013

For years Sandanona has been a family tradition for the Friday after Thanksgiving. We totally ignore crowds, "Doorbuster" hype, and head the 77 miles from our home in Greenwich to this delightful spot for a round of shooting, followed by lunch. The treat starts with the drive itself; the Taconic State Parkway, though very slightly infested with lurking speed cops, is one of the loveliest roads in the Metro Area. The people at Sandanona are very pleasant to deal with; the trappers are themselves experienced shots so one can get many of the benefits of a 'lesson' while just shooting a round; and for the lazy or decrepit (like me) they have for a modest additional charge shooting carts (basically four-seater golf buggies with gun racks). A word of advice: if you go with a group, it's not a bad idea for one person to rent a buggie just to carry ammo, jackets removed as the day warms up, and other detritus. The course is lovely, matching nice surroundings with challenging shots. We don't just go on Black Friday; four of us shot on Monday last and also had lunch there which was very satisfactory - - true home cooking served by nice people. A day at Sandanona is not cheap, but if you're looking for a first class outing, it's a bargain.

3  Thank John L
Reviewed 25 October 2012

My husband and I found Sandanona by accident while driving through Dutchess County, NY admiring the scenery. We went in and they gave me a mini lesson on the spot. The gentleman who instructed me was very nice and extremely helpful. I've never used a gun of any kind before, and he immediately took the fear factor out of it for me, and gave me confidence in handling the gun. I never realized that sport clay shooting is so much fun, and I can't wait to go back and take a full lesson and learn more about the sport! We wound up having lunch here too in the lodge. The food was very good. All the staff at Sandanona are very nice and welcoming, and they made me feel very comfortable as a woman in a typically male area. The other patrons at the shooting grounds were very pleasant too. Also, the grounds/setting is beautiful. I would definitely recommend a visit here if you sport shoot, or if you'd like to learn. They also have regular hunting and fly fishing available at Sandanona.

3  Thank Alisia L
Reviewed 18 September 2012

Beautiful Grounds, lots to do, the Game Fair is a great time for the family as well. Everything you would expect from Orvis.

Reviewed 10 September 2012

This was my second visit. I wish it was closer to my residence. The staff is outstanding, very friendly and willing to do everything to make your visit pleasent. The grounds are well kept and a pleasure to go through. The shooting stands are clean and well organized. Every stand is different, and has gun racks, trash bins and bug spray. The guide was cooperative and was willing to follow your wants on how each station was pulled. The whole place is informal and friendly. Not cheap but the experience is worth it.