“Spiders and Smells and Stains - Oh, My!”
Review of Cottonwood Motel

Cottonwood Motel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Millbrook
Cottonwood Motel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Millbrook
Dallas, TX
“Spiders and Smells and Stains - Oh, My!”
Reviewed 13 June 2011

Not wanting to shell out $400 a night for one of the local B&Bs, I opted for the Cottonwood knowing it wouldn't be luxurious but expecting a decent place to lay my head at night. Unfortunately, I found the experience to be extremely disappointing despite my low expectations... To begin with, the person I spoke with to book the reservation was terse and not very warm or welcoming. I felt as if I were intruding on her day. Upon arrival at the property and during my 2-day stay, I did not encounter a single staff member who didn't seem put-out, put-upon or downright rude. Most of the time, they seemed more concerned with sitting outside the front door smoking than taking care of their guests. My room smelled like damp, mold and stale cigarettes, and I had to get rid of 5 spiders before I could take a shower. The furniture was old and banged up, there were no closet doors, and the carpet was stained. The French doors didn't lock properly, there was no alarm clock, and the flimsy door locks provided no sense of security. All in all, not a fun experience and I certainly will not be back and will not be recommending the property. In fact, I suggested to the organization that brought me to the area that they remove the Cottonwood from their list of "recommended" hotels.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
8 Thank KSC78

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed 5 October 2010

There are not a lot of places to stay out in this area and the Cottonwood allows pets. The room was pretty clean, but smelled like cat pee. I'm a pet owner, but I couldn't live in a home that smelled like cat pee. Once I got passed the smell, I notice a nice big room with two queen beds and a patio directly off of the room. This patio is perfect if you have a dog traveling with you. The decorative comforter had several nasty stains and a blood stain. The sheets and the mattress pad were clean so I just threw the nasty blanket on the floor. We just came back from India, so we weren't that offended by the dirty blanket. In India, everything is dirty!!!! The hottub in our room worked well and was nice after a long travel. There is no fridge and no microwave in the room. That would have been nice. I thought the price was steep..............It was a little over $300 for just two nights. For that, I would expect a microwave and fridge or at least some fruit and toast out for breakfast in the morning. They did welcome my dog and that gets them far in my book. Would I recommend this place to someone staying with a pet? Yes! If you are at all squeamish about what you might find, then I wouldn't recommend it.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank LUVABULL78

Travellers are raving about these Millbrook hotels

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 20 July 2010

We stayed one night on Friday, May 21, 2010. I had read TripAdvisor reviews and were hesitant to stay there. We were pleasantly surprised to find it to be charmingly cozy. There are only about 7 or 8 rooms that all open to a long inside hallway. Each room has access to a small patio behind the hotel with two chairs facing a meadow. There's access to an ice machine and a coffee station. The staff was charming and very helpful. The rooms are comfortably furnished and each has a TV. They are clean and the beds were very comfortable. Don't be afraid to stay here. I'm very critical of hotels and services. I had no complaint about Cottonwood.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
LI, NY
Reviewed 21 October 2009

I was hesitant to stay here based on the reviews, however I was pleasantly surprised. I got a Deluxe Room, and it was huge. Very spacious. 2 big beds... nice furniture (although a little cheesy yardsale Victorian chintzy style) but still nice. -
Not crazy that the sink and vanity were by the room entrance and not in the actual bathroom, but no big deal. - Staff was VERy nice and helpful. Nice that there was someone at desk around the clock. Location was perfect for us because I had a big photoshoot in Millbrook and needed to stay in the area. - room and parking lot seemed safe and secure. Surrounding area seemed great too... out in the boonies, and not much to do in these parts but that's to be expected. we went to Copperfields for dinner down the road which was good and the food was decent. Staff friendly. A word of caution though (from this New Yorker) the restaurants shut down early around here... don't plan on walking in anywhere after 9 pm and expect to eat. We got lucky and barely were able to eat at 9:15 pm.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business
Ithaca NY
Reviewed 27 June 2009

We were a bit apprehensive after reading previous reviews, but we were very pleasantly surprised. Recent renovations have made this a fine motel at a reasonable price. The room was very clean, with tasteful decor. The French doors leading to a limited outdoor area at the back were a real bonus. The reception was cordial and the staff were always ready to offer advice about restaurants and attractions in the area.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank rendoyle
NY NY
Reviewed 23 June 2008

It was a fine, clean room for an overnight stay. It was a modest, cheap place to stay overnight or for a weekend. When in Millbrook you want to be out and about.. so it serves its purpose as a place to rest your head. It comps to Days Inn or Comfort Inn.
Re prior posts - Noise: Cant say thats all too accurate. The building is a good 50 yards from from the "highway" (if you can call it that... maybe 100 cars a day go thru there...lol), and the rooms are located on the opposite side from the road. I found no issue with noise at all.
Room condition: The room I had was nonsmoking. No issue with tobacco scent at all. However the property is, like most of Millbrooks geography, is a bit cooler and humid. I did not find it to be "wet" or "mildewy". So the degree of the future posters comment I found inaccurate.
Bathroom: Adequate. Shower, toilet. sink. Common fair here, no frills.
Its a 3 star and a good deal for someone who would like a simple, cheaper place to stay... Not a luxury travel spot.

• Liked — Price. Location
  • Disliked — Plain room. No frills.
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
1 Thank applejax555
new Jersey
Reviewed 12 May 2008

I read the reviews and was very leary about staying here but I was pleasantly surprised. The room was very clean, the hotel staff was very nice and it was a great location to Millbrook School. I would defiantly stay here again

• Liked — price and location
  • Disliked — NA
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
1 Thank suepetrog
Also consider these accommodations in or near Millbrook
Best Western Plus The Inn & Suites At The Falls
#4 of 4 in Millbrook
Quality Inn Hyde Park
Quality Inn Hyde Park
#2 of 4 in Hyde Park

Been to Cottonwood Motel? Share your experiences!