“Great Food and Comfortable Accomadations”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Millerton
No. 9 Restaurant & Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Millerton B&B and Inns
Reviewed 26 June 2013

My husband and I slept soundly in our comfortable room at the Simmons Way Inn. Also had a wonderful breakfast on the three mornings we were there. Dinner was excellent as was the Father's Day brunch. This is a family run inn and they work hard to accommodate their guests They give you just the right amount of attention.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank ISART4U

Reviewed 7 June 2013

I have stayed at Simmons Way for over 6 years, several times a year. I am, frankly, quite astonished at the recent negative reviews of the Inn, because I have had consistently good service and pleasant stays.

I most recently stayed at Simmons Way at the end of May, 2013 for my daughter's graduation from The Hotchkiss School. This was my first visit since the new owners have made some changes to the place. I was immediately struck by how fresh the first floor looked. The owners have given this old Victorian mansion a bit of contemporary decor, which surprisingly works quite well even with the old woodwork and stained glass.

The two rooms we stayed in have not changed much with the new ownership, except that the Victorian doilies and stacks of books and magazines have been cleared out. The rooms, while perhaps a bit tired in decor, are comfortable and clean. Our only complaint would be that the fold-out sofa bed our daughter slept in was old and creaky. I am sure, though, that if we had informed the owners that our 14 year old daughter would be residing with us, they would have installed a cot in the room. Shame on us for not being specific.

Taryn, one of the owners, was very friendly on our check-in, and made sure she knew our morning departure time for school activities so that breakfast could be available. The first morning, eggs, bacon, and pastries were available on a hot buffet line. The next two mornings, we were offered eggs to order with bacon, sausage, or ham, and wonderful wheat toast. I thought it was unusual for the eggs to be accompanied by a small arugula salad, but it was actually a nice touch with a wonderfully light lemon vinaigrette.

We ate at No. 9, the inn's restaurant, for dinner one of the nights of our stay. As always, the food was interesting and tasty, and the service was attentive. We also ordered drinks from the bar every night, to drink on the balcony of our room. I personally recommend the Apple Sidecar [I think that's what it's called].

Millerton, New York is a small town just west of the northwest corner of Connecticut. Simmons Way Village Inn in Millerton is a family run bed & breakfast, not a hotel. I disagree with the reviewer who believes no TVs in the rooms is outdated and overrated. For a hotel experience, stay in a hotel. For a unique, small town stay at a village inn, Simmons Way is wonderful. Not perfect, but wonderful. Not cheap, but, in my judgment, not unreasonable given the comfort of the rooms, quality of the food, and price/availability of nearby alternatives.

I recommend Simmons Way for anyone needing accommodation in the area. I make this recommendation in hopes that other Hotchkiss families will NOT read this review, because I don't want to find that the inn has gotten so popular that I can't get a room when I go up to visit my second daughter who will be at Hotchkiss for four years! I don't want to stay anywhere else on my continual visits to the area.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank sabrinacatchow
Reviewed 11 May 2013

I want to give this place the benefit of the doubt; from reading past TripAdvisor reviews it appears that things have improved greatly with the new owners. However, they still have a way to go.

First, the good: The room I stayed in (#4, Collins Room) was lovely. The bed was *fantastic* -- very comfortable, with wonderful linens. I did not eat at the restaurant but I did have a glass of wine which was delicious. When I checked in, the innkeeper explained that there were no televisions in the rooms but showed me where there was one in the lobby if I liked, along with a coffee maker.

The not so good: I did not feel terribly welcome throughout my stay. When I checked in (about 4pm) the owner seemed flustered and distracted. There was no small talk -- I'm used to innkeepers asking where I'm from, or why I'm in town (it's good business, since I do travel to the area regularly, and there's nothing like a personal tie to an inn to keep my business). There was a door out to a little balcony in my room, and thought it had a lace panel on it, there was no way to block out the light (the room faced onto the main street). The bed in my room was directly above a grandfather-type clock that bonged the number of hours every single hour. I'm not a particularly light sleeper but I woke every single hour. The heat is incredibly loud -- at first I thought there was a very slow train going by. The shower nice (took a bit of time to warm up, but I expect that in old buildings). It contained a dispenser with two liquids, one pink, one blue. There was also bar soap in the bathroom. I wasn't sure what the pink and blue liquids were. Shampoo and conditioner? Soap and shampoo? And which was which? I'm still not really sure, but if my hair looked bad, I obviously guessed wrong. When I woke in the morning and went downstairs at 8am, I realized that I wasn't sure if there was breakfast (there wasn't), and the coffee maker hadn't yet been turned on. There was nobody at the desk, just a bell that I could have rung if I needed help.

Overall, if I had paid $100/night I would have felt this was a bargain; at $150, I would have been a little grumpy but would have given it another chance. But at $200/night, I feel that there are better options, and I won't stay here again. It's too bad, because this place has a ton of potential. I stay at other inns on occasion, and I find that I am very forgiving if I genuinely like and connect with the innkeepers. They don't have to be my friends, but they do have to show a sense of hospitality. I did not get that here -- it was very cold and impersonal.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank Ann K
Reviewed 6 December 2012

This beautiful Inn right in the middle of Millerton has been taken over by new ownership. The new owners have really livened up the lobby area and are on their way to renovating the Inn. The rooms are charming. There is always coffee available downstairs, which is a lovely place to sit and enjoy the scenery and the town. The restaurant, Number 9, serves great food. If you are looking for a modern hotel with modern amenities, like the previous poster may have been, then this wouldn't be for you. But if you are looking for a charming, circa 1800s Victorian Inn to relax and get away from the hustle of the city with accomodating owners and a remarkable restaurant included, then definitely don't hesitate to book a stay at Simmon's Way.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Kate M
Reviewed 1 December 2012

Recently stayed there and have stayed there for years and since new owners overtook a few weeks ago, there have already been many improvements. New linens, it is nice and cleaner, and cards in the rooms letting us know there will be renovations soon. Very good customer service, owners were friendly and accommodating.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Megan W
taryn c, Owner at No. 9 Restaurant & Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 7 December 2012

We're glad you enjoyed your experience. Hope to see you again.

Reviewed 26 November 2012

I owe the prep school parents a warning. NEVER stay here. Wow. There was not one thing about it I can say. It started at 6 when I had 4 , actually 4 missed calls saying where was I. Obviously they wanted to leave the front desk. Then, I was the only guest(hard to guess why), listening to a new born cry from the owners room for over an hour, then the dilapidated wall paper, walls peeling, no TV no Phone, no amenities except clean towels. The bathroom floor was so disgusting and filthy. Dirt in between all the tiles. Now get this, just as the baby stopped screaming and I read a book for lack of all else, the heater came on and started screeching. Literally as loud as a truck. It was such a horrible experience for over 200 hundred, I did not care and literally took off just so I would never have to see or experience it again. I felt like I was in a scene in Psycho. Hotchkiss parents....STAY AWAY. Ashame as the restaurant(which has zero affiliation with the inn, is quite good). They won't be there long either. I am sure of that. Need I say more.

Room Tip: Run don't walk.