“relaxing and beautiful inn”

Buttermilk Falls Inn & Spa
Ranked #1 of 3 Milton B&B and Inns
Reviewed 23 September 2013

my husband and i have just returned from a weekend at buttermilk falls. we went for some needed time away from the kids and to celebrate my 40th birthday! we had the most relaxing time. the inn was just what we needed - the grounds are beautiful, the room was very comfortable and the breakfasts were amazing. the breakfasts were the best i've ever had at a b&b - abundant and delicious. the dinner at henry's was very good too although there was a large group there so they ran out of three of the entrees, including the scallops which was what i wanted. oh well, the pork loin was delicious. my only complaints are that our room had a balcony that badly needed sweeping - there were dead leaves and cobwebs all around. the walkway outside our room also needed sweeping. the bed was very comfortable but i would have liked crisper sheets. these are both minor compared to the overall experience but worth pointing out. also, i guess the inn doesn't want to ban small children, but there were a few kids that were a bit noisy, as kids will be, at the mealtimes. just to keep in mind in case you want a completely sans kids vacation. finally, the spa was very nice. i had a massage, which was very good and the pool had a beautiful view.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank kboo

Reviewed 22 September 2013

My husband took me up for my birthday - a quick Sun to Mon trip. It was just beautiful. We arrived in time for their amazing afternoon tea which had way more snacks than one might associate with tea. Dinner at the adjacent restaurant Henry's was INCREDIBLE. They even arranged a little flourless chocolate cake as a birthday surprise. The room was charming and had a gas fireplace that made for a nice touch. There was also a deck and while it was chilly and a bit icy, it was beautiful. We took a walk on the grounds and they have an with animals. You can't beat llamas for added color! Sheep and donkeys rounded out the menagerie. We also met the chickens who supplied the eggs for the next morning's fantastic breakfast. A spa facial that second day and relaxing by the pool wrapped my little birthday trip up nicely. With a pretty 90 min drive from NYC, I highly recommend it and plan to take MetroNorth up in the future to spend a day at the spa with friends.

Room Tip: We stayed in the main building. Look on their web site and study the rooms carefully before you sele...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank CarolBinNYC
Reviewed 20 September 2013

We just got back from celebrating our anniversary at the Buttermilk Falls Inn and Spa and it was one of our favorite spots we've been to in New England. Once you enter the grounds, it is a hidden gem tucked away with spectacular grounds and gorgeous views of the Hudson River. We saw a beautiful sunrise over the river and a full moon rise out of the river in our short 2 night stay. The staff is extremely warm and welcoming and provided lots of things to do in the area depending on how adventurous or energetic we were feeling. The breakfast is super delicious and fresh. We ate at Henry's one evening for dinner and had an excellent meal and service. We also had massages at the spa which didn't disappoint. We would absolutely return here for another visit and highly recommend this inn. Although it is a bit pricey, it is well worth the stay.

Room Tip: We stayed in Sage Right and it was a cozy room that had a patio with a view of the Hudson River. It...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ChristinaLM2013
Reviewed 17 September 2013

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay here. The grounds are beautiful, took many morning and evening walks. I don't usually eat traditional American hotel breakfasts but I made an exception here. Great food in a really beautiful setting overlooking the garden and the river. The pool house with sauna and steam are neat too. Friendly staff. We were in the North Cottage with a nice view of the Hudson. Great place to make love and we did. Cooking facilities too which I always like to stay on my training regimen. I've been at the Mohonk House tho haven't stayed overnight. I'd stay here every time.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the river.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Louetta
Reviewed 17 September 2013

We stayed in the Gindele suite, a beautifully decorated suite perfect for girlfriends or two couples. The pull out bed in the 2nd room was very comfortable. The breakfast and afternoon tea were the most uninspired menu. Despite the name, no buttermilk biscuits or pancakes, just a lonely piece of French toast with some berries thrown on. Eggs benedict with so little hollandaise - I forgot why I liked eggs Benedict. Afternoon tea and cookies? No way. No cookies no delicious scones just a cake that was bought someplace else and plopped on a plate. I should have cooked myself and my friend in the well stocked kitchen at the Gindele Suite. Don't come for the the food or anything posh, come if your looking for an expensive rental near some nice looking chickens. Go to Mohonk Mountain house if you want to be treated and fed well!

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank Meyer148
Reviewed 5 September 2013

This is one of our all-time favorite inns.
Lovely rooms; exquisite, varied grounds; enchanting critters; interesting guests. Well situated with easy access to art-, history-, and nature-centered attractions.
The staff is personable, attentive, efficient, and will accommodate special needs with a cheerful attitude.
Spa services are among the best available anywhere.
Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Each room has its own personality. Take time to investigate your options and choose a room that fits...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank t4689
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Buttermilk Falls hosted a family wedding. It was a lovely setting and the staff was very helpful. Breakfast was delicious and offered cooked-to-order hot and cold choices. There are lots of nooks and crannies for quiet conversation and terrific places to walk outdoors. Farm animals amused the kids. Our room contained a double bed, was small and considered "an economical choice" at $300/night.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank happytraveller01605
Also consider these accommodations in or near Milton
Hampton Inn & Suites Poughkeepsie
#1 of 1 in Salisbury Mills
Saint Hubert's Lodge
Saint Hubert's Lodge
#1 of 1 in Marlboro

Been to Buttermilk Falls Inn & Spa? Share your experiences!