Buttermilk Falls Inn & Spa
US$111
BestWestern.com
US$110
Hotels.com
All reviewsthe main househudson riverfarm to tablegas fireplacesauna and steam roombreakfast and afternoon teagrounds are gorgeousworking fireplacesweet basilrelaxing weekendonsite restaurantindoor poolliving roombreakfast was deliciousfull kitchennorth cottageculinary institute of america
Reviewed 23 June 2014

My friend and I promised each other we would get away one night without the kids and our husbands before the summer really began. We had heard good things about Buttermilk and so we booked a room just a couple of weeks in advance. When we arrived we were amazed that we were in the most beautiful 'house' facing the Hudson River. Absolutely serene and perfect. We were disappointed that we didn't have our husbands there to share it with us! It was so beautiful and spacious!
The dinner at Henry's was okay. I thought that since it would be 'farm to table' we would have the freshest vegetables at our table and the most amazing food. I would say that we were not blown away. It was just okay.
In the morning after a nice breakfast we walked around the serene property and found ourselves at the farm, the chicken coop and the friendly owners property. We also checked out the falls which were not as impressive as we thought they might be.
We hoped to go to the spa and hang there but it didn't feel as special as we hoped it would be so we skipped it and went back to our peaceful room and spent time relaxing on the deck.
I would recommend but I think there needs to be some updates and some personal touches. It would have been nice if they had bottled water avail to us in the rooms or even in the main reception so we could bring on a hike with us. It would have been nice to have a paper waiting for us at our door. There are some little things that would have been nice added touches.

Room Tip: Ask for the Riverdowns House facing the Hudson.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank lizziegeesam
buttermilkfalls, General Manager at Buttermilk Falls Inn & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2014

Dear lizziegeesam,

I am excited to hear that you enjoyed your stay and felt that our property offered a beautiful respite not very far from New York City. I must apologize that our restaurant did not meet your expectations of the freshest ingredients. I can only share that what we can't source from our on property farm we get from local farms and purveyors like Hepworth Farms in the neighboring town of Marlborough. I will also take note of the other touches you suggested and see what we can do to add those little nuances to make everyone's stay more enjoyable.

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with fellow TripAdvisors. I appreciate your comments and look forward to welcoming you and your girlfriend back, maybe with your husbands next time! :)

Best,
CJ Hartwell

Reviewed 11 June 2014

Just returned from a glorious 2 days at Buttermilk Falls Inn. The grounds are beautiful, and the staff accommodating and helpful. We stayed in the Cottage Rose room, a lovely cozy room with a king sized bed, and full bath. The view was not what I was hoping from (the river was barely visible), so if you want a view I'd opt for a different room. The cottages are fairly remote from the main inn...near the lovely farm animals and bird aviary. If you don't mind the walk, it's a private, idyllic setting. You'll get to see the lovely swans and ducks in the pond when you walk to the main inn for breakfast :-) The breakfast nook area was peaceful and full of delicious treats. The afternoon snack and coffee/tea availability, and a poland spring water tank in the lobby area were added perks. Every so often there was a train passing through, but that didn't seem to disrupt our sleep. During our stay (to our chagrin) Henry's restaurant was closed (Mon.& Tues.), so we headed to some great (fairly) local restaurants: The Ship Lantern Inn, Gunk Haus, & Crew. I'd recommend all of them if you're looking to get off the farm for a meal. Additionally, the deep tissue massage at the spa was very intense....which I like, but it may be a bit much depending on your preference. Overall it was a wonderful stay and I would return, albeit it's a bit on the pricey side for the location (in my opinion)....we considered going to Old Montreal for less, but nevertheless, Buttermilk falls definitely delivers.

Room Tip: Cottage Rose (2nd level) is lovely with a king size bed, albeit it does not have the river view I expected.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 May 2014

We spent a long wkend at Buttermilk in January. We had been looking for a quick wkend getaway from Manhattan for a long time and can't figure out why we didnt head out to the Lower Hudson Valley sooner. The Inn is a pretty little spot and was really what we were looking for. Quiet. Homey. Etc. The spa was solid - good treatments and the pool has glass windows that overlook a bunch of the property - was really nice to watch the snow fall from the comfort inside - tho it would have been nice to have a (more) heated pool and/or a jacuzzi. The restaurant at the hotel was delicious - very 'farm to table' and obviously close by. The ground were pretty and we did get to see the llamas :) And there is more to do in the area than we had expected (FDR, CIA, restaurants, etc.) Our room was in the main building right past reception. It wasn't great, but adequate.

Room Tip: We stayed in the room just past reception in the main building. It was close to breakfast and the restaurant, but there was a little more traffic, the room was small, and the bathroom did flood the first night (tho that was the result of some frozen pipes, which the staff swiftly fixed). May want to opt for a more secluded room next time....
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 May 2014

Everything from the food to service was outstanding. If there was one issue that I would point out, it would be the noise that came from the heat or AC unit a large clank happened every 40 minutes or so...maybe it was something else. We didn't complain because everything else was outstanding and we were staying in a bed and breakfast so we didn't expect it to be like a hotel. The main inn is quite charming with tons of character. The walls are that of an old house so expect to hear fellow guests walking down the hall and such. The grounds are absolutely gorgeous and the food unbelievable. From breakfast to dinner, this is a culinary experience. They have a highly skilled culinary team and it shows in everything the serve. I will definitely return but hopefully will stay in one of the private quarters and for longer than 2 nights! Very impressed!!!

• Stayed: May 2014

Dear Wekiv74,

Thank you for taking the time to offer your feedback on your stay at Buttermilk Falls Inn & Spa.
Our team does take pride in everything we do from food service to grounds keeping and I am excited to hear that you noticed this! I appreciate that you pointed out out historic preservation in our main Inn. This was one of the focal points our owner took care to include in the renovation design. It truly does bring an added charm to the entire Buttermilk experience.
Thank you again for sharing your experience with the TripAdvisor community and I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future!

Best,
CJ Hartwell

Reviewed 20 April 2014

I brought my husband there a few days ago for his 40th birthday. We stayed one night but I wish I could have stayed a week! We booked the Grand Laurel suite and it was beautifully decorated and huge! We used the spa also. We each got a massage and used the indoor pool and steam room. Tammy who gave me a deep tissue massage was absolutely amazing! My husband had Claudia and said she gave a wonderful Swedish massage. We could not figure out how to use the sauna though. It didn't seem to be heating up. We also had dinner at the onsite restaurant (Henry's) which is farm to table. The food was excellent but the menu was fairly small. The breakfast in the morning was also great. The property is stunning they have a working farm and tons of animals. Two of the donkeys came over to the fence and visited with us for awhile. We hiked down to the train tracks along the Hudson River to get an awesome view of the namesake waterfalls. They have a cute gift shop on the property and we bought a few things which were all reasonably priced. The Inn is a little pricy, but it was worth it and we will definitely be going back. Every staff member we encountered were extremely nice and very knowledgeable.

Room Tip: We only stayed in the Grand Laurel suite, but from the looks of the property I don't think there are any bad locations of rooms.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple