“amazing yoga get-a-way!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Monroe
Ananda Ashram- Yoga Society of New York
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Monroe
Reviewed 10 October 2013

As an avid yoga and meditation practitioner, I was looking for a place not too far from home for some peace & quiet. A place to meet new like-minded people, practice yoga, and eat delicious food. That's exactly what I found at Ananda Ashram! The rooms may be simple, either dorm or semi-private, but they are humble, and what more does one who is simply trying to quiet the mind need? Ananda Ashram was the perfect place to unwind, and I learned so much about myself too. From the excellent array of Yoga Classes, to the beautiful morning and evening fire ceremonies and meditations, and the daily philosophy classes - each one attuning me to go a little bit deeper into my own search for Self, I will definitely be coming back to Ananda again and again. Oh and the food! Wow! While I was there, I had heard that the just had a huge transition in the management of their kitchen, and while I don't know what the food was like before, it was some of the most authentic and delicious vegetarian/vegan food I've ever eaten. (Bravo Cooks!) The other guests were friendly, and I made some new friends. All the staff were incredibly kind and helpful.

Room Tip: Paying the extra $20 for a semi-private room in the lake house, is definitely recommended!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank Amanda Y

Reviewed 28 September 2013

We came to Ananda Ashram for a spiritual retreat and some relaxation. We live in Manhattan where the pace is unrelenting and fast. Ananda in many ways is like a refuge, the famous Sharanam - one can feel the peace percolating through the pine trees and the buildings. Sanskrit takes one away into an earlier time when people of a faraway land had more time (at least the maharajas) and lived a life style centered in the beyond or the THAT, as the sanyasis at the ashram would say.
However, great was our dismay at the communal meals where some strange characters seem to congregate. One fellow in particular came to the tables under the trees every meal time bragging about his past and his criminal activities in Las Vegas and such places. He made fun of the guru at Ananda Ashram and called himself Sinatrananda - evidently to express his common bond with the famous singer and his alleged underworld ties.
He seemed to like us and pursued us persistently, giving us more and more detailed stories about his gangster life every time we showed up at the dining hall. He went so far as to boast that he was in charge here at the Ashram and that he did not hold meditation and all these BS oriental practices in high esteem. He also made some inappropriate moves toward my girlfriend.
We asked him what he was doing here at this Ashram. He answered that he was part of Ananda staff.
We finally fled the Ashram and went a little further north to another spiritual retreat, the Blue Cliff Monastery, where we found a more congenial crowd of seekers.

Room Tip: Ask for the new accomodation Main house annex
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
10  Thank walterelyon
Reviewed 29 July 2013

A place you can bring all of your inner stuff and leave it at the door. The surrounding is like heaven with birds, trees, and great
community to be surrounded by.

1  Thank Joan S
Reviewed 2 May 2012

I've been practicing yoga and meditation for 25 years and have had the good fortune to travel to ashrams around the world. This ashram is the real thing. Yoga in all of its limbs and levels is taught and practiced by seasoned practitioners Outstanding asanas. Sanksrit classes. Truly transformative.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
4  Thank SwamiVidya
Reviewed 15 July 2010

Spiritual seekers can find India's true, tried depth only an hour outside of New York. Those who are looking for a cheap hotel or a spa should look elsewhere. Ananda is an Ashram - which means first and foremost, a spiritual retreat center. If anyone is on any sort of spiritual path, this means looking deep into your self - including low tolerance of amenities that are not at all spa-like, but heavenly as in one with nature. yes, you will share dorm space, yes, you might have to camp and yes, there will be lots of people there with you whom you may or may not like. Spiritual centers are about seeing one's own judgments, criticisms and constantly wavering mindstuff in the light of a Guru's wisdom. If you want the Guru's light, you've got to sit next to the fire. And the fire is at Ananda Ashram.

Stayed: June 2010, travelled with friends
12  Thank Malik1008
Reviewed 6 January 2010

A friend and I went for a weekend stay. We got the private room. We thought the grounds were nice and the yoga classes were good. However, the rest was subpar. There were too few bathrooms for the guest house. We had to wait up to an hour in the morning to use the bathroom. The beds were very uncomfortable. The guru lady was very mean during her talk. In fact, she yelled at a long-term friend. The food was quite awful. There is definitely better ways to cook tofu. To top it all off, we had to dispute a mysterious credit card charge a few weeks later.

6  Thank Barleyruby
Reviewed 6 January 2008

There is no place like Ananda Ashram for the silence and peace of true meditation. I love going on yoga vacations all over the world and I live in NYC. I have found Ananda Ashram to be an oasis, only 1 hour from the city, where I can have a true break from ALL noise - visual, mental, aural. As a New Yorker - my senses are overwhelmed, at Ananda Ashram, they are nourished, fulfilled, blessed and cared for by the atmosphere. I can feel the incredible love at this place - sweet and humble. I highly recommend people to come for a true experience of yoga. I also recommend their yoga classes - their hatha yoga classes include incredibly talented teachers.

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6  Thank lovebug108
Also consider these accommodations in or near Monroe
Hampton Inn Harriman Woodbury
#1 of 1 in West Point
Inn on the Hudson
Inn on the Hudson
#2 of 2 in Peekskill

Been to Ananda Ashram- Yoga Society of New York? Share your experiences!