“Creative, excellent seafood; service a little slow”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of South Edison

South Edison
Reserve with OpenTable
South Edison is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #17 of 105 Restaurants in Montauk
Price range: US$25 - US$47
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly, Bar Scene, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Brunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: WE ARE OPEN FOR THE 2017 SEASON!!! Join us at South Edison and enjoy a menu packed with local seafood and produce. Chef/Partner Todd Mitgang, who developed our original creative menu, and Executive Chef Frankie Fuschetto continue to craft new dishes to complement our customers' favorites. Frankie has performed as pastry chef at South Edison and our sister restaurant, Bo's Kitchen & Bar Room in NYC, to rave reviews. He now proves he's a hit with savories as well as sweets. Walk right off the beach to try our extensive raw bar, a wide selection of wines and beers, and our signature Pickle Martinis garnished with house-made local veggie pickles. Our original cocktails also bring a refreshing start to a summer evening. After dinner, don't miss the extraordinary desserts. Just one block south of town, South Edison reflects Montauk's fun and casual atmosphere. Stop in, kick back, and enjoy!
New Mexico
“Creative, excellent seafood; service a little slow”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2013

This cheery restaurant in Montauk, with it's yellow and blue color scheme, is casual, but the level of cooking is high. Started off with a refreshing watermelon cocktail; perfect for a hot summer day. Outstanding fried clams (done in cornmeal) and an interesting spicy tuna chalupa. Locally caught grilled scallops were complemented with an English pea puree, grilled radicchio, and quinoa; fresh, fresh, fresh. My husband had the Scottish salmon prepared with yellow tomato and more peas. The restaurant gets its vegetables and herbs from local farmers. Tasty pineapple upside down cake (not too sweet) with passion fruit sorbet for dessert.

Service was a little slow between courses, but the staff was friendly and helpful. We weren't in a hurry so didn't mind. This is a popular place with families; we were surprised by that, since the prices are not low. Lots of cute young ones in their summer clothes. We ate early; by the time we left, the families had cleared out, and a young, hip crowd was moving in.

• Visited July 2013
2 Thank Pamela H

“Tasty but pricey”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2013

I had dinner here on a Tuesday evening. Montauk oysters were $3.00 each and Blue Point $2.50 each. I ordered the grilled scallops for a main course and received a half dozen good sized ones, together with some grilled radicchio, pea puree, and snow peas. It was a nice portion, but my bill came to around $46.00, which I thought a bit steep since I only drank water and didn't order dessert. On the plus side, the meal itself was excellent. One nice touch: four pieces of taffy came with the receipt.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank Marian C
New York
“It was not as good as last year”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2013

Nice venue, friendly if somewhat slow service. My wife and I ate here last night and mostly enjoyed everything. I started with oysters, while my wife had a $14 spicy tuna taco. Not great but not disappointing either. I had a few beers while my wife had wine. She was not happy with the pours she received (stingy) considering the price per pour was $14! The beer menu is very good for an IPA hop head. It's an interesting, but somewhat limited menu. I had the short rib which was the only red meat on the menu. It was delicious and wish I had more as the portion was small. My wife ordered the scallops, which had a nice sear, but again, small portions ( only 4 scallps). We ordered the fried olives as a side dish, which never came to our table, but was not on the check either. Overall, it was a pleasant experience, but could use a little tweaking, and please provide a decent pour...The Harvest does!

Visited July 2013
1 Thank Rich W
Farmingdale
“Geat example of what gentrification does to old world charm”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2013

Yup here it is folks. Gone are the well worn floors, driftwood like colors, 75-100 years of charming mom and pop personal. In come pastel painted floors and wall. Too bright lights and pink pastel bicycles hanging from the ceiling. Stripped away are the real smells and charms of the beautiful old Long Island Resort town.
Menu????? Just as gentrified. Come on $3.50 blue point oysters????
$12 for 6 fancy tiny stuffed clams? I'm afraid the only thing I liked about South Edison was the terrific friendly attentive staff. Dont bother unless you are in Motauk to visit SoHo.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank MisterAnthony
Greensboro, North Carolina
“The best scallops in clever casual setting.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2013 via mobile

So glad we changed our reservation to South Edison because the scallops I had were perfect. Unique plating but no heavy sauce on the scallops.
Modern/industrial decor.
Unfortunately, our16 year old, who doesn't like seafood, could not find any options for herself.
My husband and I thought our seafood was delectable.

• Visited June 2013