“Great location, and that's about it”
Review of Sun 'N' Sound

Sun 'N' Sound
Ranked #26 of 39 Hotels in Montauk
Brooklyn
“Great location, and that's about it”
Reviewed 17 September 2012

The best aspect of this motel is the large deck on the Block Island Sound, and the rooms that open onto it. It was gorgeous, and made up for all of the problems, but I don't think I'd stay here again.

The pool was also clean and refreshing, and a nice amenity.

However, the room was dirty. My wife and I noticed that the bottoms of our feet turned black from walking on the carpet barefoot. There were stains on the couch cushions. A couple of the dishes were dirty. I might have brought these problems up with the front desk, but it's only open from 9-5, and even then it was clear that I shouldn't bother--highly unlikely anything would get resolved.

The aforementioned patio was really great, but the furniture is old and dirty, and the table had a crack in it. Deck furniture could also use a serious upgrade. And in miscellany, the room had a coffee maker and coffee filters, but no coffee--seriously? Other problems: lamp broken and light bulbs burned out.

All in all, I'm sure you can do a lot worse in Montauk, and the view was amazing, but this motel has some maintenance problems and cleanliness issues.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Ben_from_Brooklyn

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed 18 July 2012

This was such a nice place to stay, particularly during the crazy summer period that is Montauk! It was out of town situated on Block Island Sound and was so quite, incredibly clean and a great place to relax with the family. It is within walking distance to Viking Fast Ferry which goes to Block Island and walking distance to Gossmans, one of the nicest seafood restaurants I've eaten at! The internet can be a little difficult to get started but once up and running, is fine. The hotel owners/managers are really great and exceptionally helpful. Their front desk staff could learn a thing or two from them about being polite and courteous though.

Only downside is that the rooms are exceptionally bright VERY early in the morning and they leave the exterior lights on all night as well which is a little annoying but you get used to it!

Overall, would definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: I don't think it matters where your room is this is just a great spot!
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Reilly1716
New York City, New York
Reviewed 7 July 2012

Had a great 3 days with my boyfriend....stayed in a studio ontthe bay and we had a full kitchen and a great deck on the water! Great staff and can't wait to make plans for next month.....very clean and got a beach pass from the front desk so I could use all the town beaches in Montauk...

Room Tip: Bay front studios are great for two or three people....had a queen bed with a twin pull out sofa
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Michelle P
Hempstead, New York
Reviewed 10 September 2011

Our fourth of July stay at Sun and Sound was the best ever for the young people in my care this summer. They wanted to have a white party in the Hamptons like Diddy, so I set out to make it memorable for them. I booked Sun and Sound online because my niece loved the photo of the sunset and the balcony. I liked that they had a barbeque grill on the balcony so I was sold on that. I called the office the day before we got there to check for the policies of the hotel, because I was traveling with a group of young people I wanted to make sure that there would be no problems but the young lady on the phone was very vague about the policies. I don't blame her though I should have been clearer as to what we were planning but I think that the resort should have their policies listed on their website. When we got there I found out from the policy list that she gave me that "noise" was absolutely forbidden and I was expecting friends for the barbeque on the balcony. I seriously thought about canceling the reservation but she said they had already put it through on my credit card. I relented because I did not want to disappoint the young people and the young lady in the office was so pleasant and curious about what was going on. Needless to say, the office had a few complaints about the young people at the pool who were trying their best to not make "noise." We didn't even play music or anything at the barbeque because we were walking on "eggshells." All in All, the young people had a great time and said they would never forget it. A few of my friends said they would definitely go back there with their spouses because the view of the sunset was breathtaking and stole the show. They said it was the best July 4th ever! The next day I took the young people horseback riding at Deep Hollow Ranch and then we headed back home. I guess the resort caters to couples who want to get away from it all but I was very grateful that the ladies in the office handled the situation with care.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank morefaith26
New York NY
Reviewed 6 September 2011

Montauk is charming and this is the best part of Montauk to stay in. This is *not* the Four Seasons or the St. Regis - this is pure Montauk charm. It is clean and that is what is important.

Set your expectations adequately. If you are somebody who needs high-end bath linens, Molton Brown toiletries, and the latest in flat screen HD TV technology, you may not enjoy Sun n Sound.

The pool is great - perfect for a summer weekend (or mid-week if you have that luxury).

Our concerns were 1) that the place would be loud and chaotic as some of the places in town are but the reality is the place was full and it felt like it could have used a little more life / energy rather than more peace and quiet. 2) The pool would be filled with (multiply the 35 units by two adults and at least two children) too many people to enjoy but the reality was that we had the sun and the pool to ourselves more than half the time and never more than a small handful of other respectable well-mannered folks. 3) The potentially somewhat dated furnishings might not be clean - the reality is that the hard working staff works tirelessly and the place is immaculate.

Keep in mind this place is open seasonally (for less than five months of the year). I've stayed at plenty of chain hotels all around the world traveling for business. If this were a Marriott or Starwood in downtown Chicago or Frankfurt, I'd be shocked they didn't have a later model TV or updated wallpaper but this is *Montauk.* The appeal of Montauk is that it retains some of its fishing village charm and there are affordable places to stay without the drama of the Hamptons. There are B&B's in the Hamptons with rooms that go for over $1,000. / night. If you've got that kind of cash for a summer weekend, more power to you... Montauk is the best!

One important note - the upper level rooms do have skylights and there is nothing to dim the morning sun. No problem in late summer when the sun rises later and isn't as strong but I'd definitely keep this in mind for June and July when the sun comes up at 4:30AM. I'd either bring an eye mask (as I would on an international flight) or book downstairs which has a lovely outdoor space.

Enjoy the waterfront location and walk to Gosman's Dock for lunch or dinner. Gosman's has been a favorite since the very first time in Montauk. The Hideaway is also nearby and very worthwhile (but again, this is not fancy - set realistic expectations). There is a lovely market and a wine store nearby and plenty of outdoor space to enjoy everything. Taxi is $8.00 (plus tip) from town and the railroad so no need to battle the traffic - catch up on your reading on the train and leave the car behind. Walk to the marina for boat rentals, ferry to Block Island, and fishing. Rent bikes in town to pedal out to the lighthouse. Wineries are nearby as well. You can't beat Montauk and you'll love the Sun n Sound with realistic expectations.

Room Tip: Keep in mind the skylights in the upper level rooms - Lower level soundview rooms are best.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank MoreFFmiles
West Newton, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 11 August 2011

Although this hotel is a little older, I would go back and stay here. The room we had was spacious - had a full size refrigerator, kitchen sink, stove, coffee pot,ironing board and iron. We didn't have time to use the pool but it looked clean and well maintained. I think it was well worth the money!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank LindaC27
Reviewed 26 July 2010

Location, location, location. Right on the Sound. Looks great from outside. Pool ok. Rooms are awful. No HBO but they do claim to have it as listed on brochure. No sheets on Pillow. Mildew on peeling bathroom wallpaper. I am sitting on the deck at 7AM because our room is on the second floor. Someone thought it would be great fun to put not one but two skylights in a bedroom. I ask why?? We checked in at night and didn't realize this special treat. Anyway we still had a great time in Montauk. Get the room in building B on the first floor. You can't beat it for the price.

• Stayed July 2011
4 Thank zevrick3
sstevensGM, Manager at Sun 'N' Sound, responded to this review, 29 July 2010
Dear Guest,

I was very disapointed to hear that you had trouble locationg channels 86 anf 301-305 on the cablevision box in your unit to view HBO. If you had come to the office and let us know you were having dificulty locating the HBO channels or there was a problem with the cable box we would have assisted you. As far as the missing pillow cases I appolgize for that oversight and wish you would brought it to our attention while you were in residence and we would have corrected the matter right away. The sky lights came with the building and I can not change that but the wall paper issues are being handled. I hope you will give Sun 'n' Sound the opportunity to show you our continued improvements next season.

Regards,