“"Water wonderland"”

Ranked #26 of 39 Hotels in Montauk
Nyon, Switzerland
“"Water wonderland"”
Reviewed 7 July 2014

I have stayed at most parts of montauk for more than 40 years. The last 30 years at Sun'n' sound.
It has a deck on the water and many rooms are also on the water, within 30 feet. It has great nature, glorious and peaceful.
mc, bayside

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank nycookie63

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
New York City, New York
Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for two days in the off season and we really enjoyed our stay. Truly a special place for us. When we first got there Hakim got us squared away and was very helpful. The sunset view was spectacular. Room was very clean. Perfect location, very close to good seafood restaurants. Before we left we met Jamie who made us feel welcomed. We would love to come back.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank LKHC12
Mount Vernon, New York
Reviewed 25 June 2013

I spent several days here and must say that I was very impressed with the size of the rooms and the attention to detail by the staff. the room I stayed was more like a suite and the bedroom was separate from the living room and had a tv in each room along with a full kitchen. the room was immaculate and the staff maintained them that way. there is a pool if you are not a beach person and it is only a short walk to the dock area and restaurants. the view is beautiful at sunset and is photo op worthy. great place to bring the kids also.

Room Tip: ask for an upper level room if available
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
9 Thank bill m
Queens, New York
Reviewed 17 June 2013

We enjoyed our brief stay at this quiet & pretty location on Block Island Sound, far from the traffic in town. Efficiency units provide flexibility with meals. There is an unheated pool & no microwave oven. Walls are quite thin.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Jimbo_Queens_NewYork
Washington, New Jersey
Reviewed 1 October 2012

This is a cute place in a beautiful location- as long as your expectations are realistic. It's not going to have the beauty of a 4 or 5 star place, but it's not a complete disaster either. I stayed on a Friday and Saturday night with my husband and kids. The motel appeared to be full or close to it, but thankfully was very quiet.

The Good- We had the waterfront queen loft. The view was beautiful. When they say a room is waterfront it is literally on the water. The outside seemed to be very well maintained. The pool looked like it was actually still open, which was surprising for the end of September, and looked clean. The pool is in the parking lot with no view. The room had a small but full kitchen, and that was actually clean. All of our dishes, utensils, the stove, etc appeared to be clean.

Could be better- Maintenance inside the rooms is lacking. The first sight that greeted us when we walked in were several large stains on the carpet. I'm not saying no one ever attempted to clean them, but a waterfront hotel that attracts people looking to fish and cook in their rooms should invest in a tile floor. The couch just had that "do you really want to sit here" look. We immediately opened up the bed and covered the entire thing with sheets for the kids. No weird smell coming from it or anything, just looked like it had been there since the 80s and had seen better days. The queen bed upstairs had this thin wicker headboard that had been nailed in the wall. However, it had actually been pulled out so the headboard had several long rusty nails sticking out of it. (I alerted the desk about this upon checkout so hopefully that has been resolved.)
The maid service was decent. I think the problems are more due to the need of a serious update than anything else. No matter how much the staff cleans, they can't make an old carpet look new, or make me feel like I should actually trust the colorful 80s style motel bedspread. I never actually met any staff- the front desk is limited to 9-5, but my phone contact with them for check in/ check out was fine.
With a little investment, this place could be really great. I don't think Dune Resorts (the parent company) should try to make this place fancy, but a few updates inside could really make this place stand out. While I would stay here again, I will look into other options first.

Room Tip: As others have said- the loft rooms have skylights and are very bright in the morning. That was fin...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank jmack_10
Brooklyn
Reviewed 17 September 2012

The best aspect of this motel is the large deck on the Block Island Sound, and the rooms that open onto it. It was gorgeous, and made up for all of the problems, but I don't think I'd stay here again.

The pool was also clean and refreshing, and a nice amenity.

However, the room was dirty. My wife and I noticed that the bottoms of our feet turned black from walking on the carpet barefoot. There were stains on the couch cushions. A couple of the dishes were dirty. I might have brought these problems up with the front desk, but it's only open from 9-5, and even then it was clear that I shouldn't bother--highly unlikely anything would get resolved.

The aforementioned patio was really great, but the furniture is old and dirty, and the table had a crack in it. Deck furniture could also use a serious upgrade. And in miscellany, the room had a coffee maker and coffee filters, but no coffee--seriously? Other problems: lamp broken and light bulbs burned out.

All in all, I'm sure you can do a lot worse in Montauk, and the view was amazing, but this motel has some maintenance problems and cleanliness issues.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Ben_from_Brooklyn
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed 18 July 2012

This was such a nice place to stay, particularly during the crazy summer period that is Montauk! It was out of town situated on Block Island Sound and was so quite, incredibly clean and a great place to relax with the family. It is within walking distance to Viking Fast Ferry which goes to Block Island and walking distance to Gossmans, one of the nicest seafood restaurants I've eaten at! The internet can be a little difficult to get started but once up and running, is fine. The hotel owners/managers are really great and exceptionally helpful. Their front desk staff could learn a thing or two from them about being polite and courteous though.

Only downside is that the rooms are exceptionally bright VERY early in the morning and they leave the exterior lights on all night as well which is a little annoying but you get used to it!

Overall, would definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: I don't think it matters where your room is this is just a great spot!
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family