“Perfect Montauk Summer Cottage.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Montauk
Hither House Cottages
Reviewed 23 April 2011

We stayed at the Seaview Cottage. It was perfect for us and our dog Shakespeare. The staff was very considerate of our privacy. They made sure our cottage was always clean and waited until we were out to do their work. Plenty of linens. It's exactly what you would or should expect from a summer cottage. Short access to the beach, private area of the back yard, private grill. We were very happy here. Most of all our dog Shakespeare was happy here. We would go back again whenever possible. The owner, Wen, was very polite and kind to us. Maybe that's because we treated her and the staff like family instead of enemies.! Gerri and Dave Engel, Florida

Room Tip: We loved Seaview. We did have ocean view.
  • Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
7  Thank gerriengel112

Reviewed 22 February 2011

We wanted to get out of the city and head to Montauk for 1 night.
We stayed in the Seaview at The Hither House, and it was cozy, clean and simple.
The bathroom is tiny, but it didn't bother us.
Great to have the kitchen for a nice breakfast by
the picture window that looks out on the sea (in the distance) .
We woke up to heavy snowfall in the morning and they had actually cleaned off the car for us!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank stellathebeagle
Reviewed 4 January 2011

I went to Hither House with my boyfriend in November and we stayed in the East cottage. It was very clean and really nice. However, we thought the cottage was haunted. At night we heard noises in the living room, it sounded like someone dropped a book on the floor.I felt like we weren't there alone, I felt a presence. Also a brand new bag of potatoe chips that we did not open was miraculously opened and half of the chips were gone and neither of us opened them. Also it is very close to the woods where some younger guests seemed to be wandering off into. I did not like that there was a door in our bedroom leading out to a screened in porch. We were afraid that someone could break into the bedroom. I had trouble sleeping and was scared. Also my truck was in the driveway locked up with the trunk closed and the next morning somehow the liftglass in the trunk was open. The door to the screened in porch was broken so when the wind was blowing we kept hearing the door constantly slamming. We were both freaked out.

• Stayed: November 2010
2  Thank ItalianIcex17
Reviewed 9 September 2010

I had read all the reviews for this place before booking, so I felt good, but you just never know how your family will like places compared to other families. We traveled with our miniture yorkie, so we needed a pet friendly location. In Montauk there are not that many. I am so glad the Chamber of Commerce gave me the help I needed. The Hither House cottages are not a huge complex-so you know who is the manager, who cleans your cottage and it has a homey feel. The management was very friendly! The reviews saying otherwise were probably from people who wanted to party and be loud. This is not the place for that!(Thank goodness!) All of the staff do an excellent job-the housekeepers clean everything, and I mean everything! They even cleaned the grill after each use! The grounds are kept perfect by a very hard working man who is very polite and always has a smile for you. One the weekends they have a very nice breakfast for you with coffee, milk, juice, bagels, muffins, fruit, etc. We liked that it was still available after taking the dog to the beach or if you want to sleep in! I even had forgotten matches and foil to grill and the office was eager to help-after hours! I can not say enough about how great this place is! The owner is very hands on and greets everyone, always making sure you are happy! The only down fall is not hearing the waves at night-but oh well-we will be back next year!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family
4  Thank JenilynMahani
Reviewed 7 September 2010

I booked my room over a month ago as I am running the Hampton's Half Marathon in October. I wanted to bring my dogs on the trip. I emailed Hither House from their site. They instructed me to call them- which I did. I talked on the phone & confirmed I wanted the cottage. I also gave them my address. My understanding was Hither House would send me an invoice and then I would send a check deposit (since they don't accept credit cards). I waited for the invoice which never arrived. I called them back to check on the reservation. The woman on the phone stated that my check never arrived- so she gave the cottage away. I told her there was a misunderstanding- she became completely belligerent. Told me I was wrong- she was right. I tried to be nice, as I was worried that all other pet friendly places may be booked. She had one cottage left which is double the price of my original cottage. I asked if she would give me a discount due to the miscommunication. Absolutely not! She was offended that I questioned her process. After unintelligible ranting she ended up hanging up on me. Her customer service is like none I have ever heard.. mind boggling bad. Their process also lacks coherency.
Fortunately, I just googled another pet friendly resort. They didn't have availability but gave recommendations for 2 other places. I just booked a room at Sole East. And guess what?!- I got a email invoice! Imagine that! I asked the other places if they knew of Hither House.. no one did.

• Stayed: September 2010
1  Thank meotis
Reviewed 5 September 2010

Hither House is a true delight. It sits just outside Montauk, 10 minutes walk to the beach, 3 minutes drive into Montauk and 15 minutes (depending on traffic) drive to East Hampton.

Hither House is well-run, well-maintained with clean and comfortable rooms, most with kitchenettes, some affording glimpses of the ocean, staffed by very friendly and accommodating folks. As a bonus, it is “dog friendly,” meaning they welcome – really welcome – you if you’re traveling with Fido. I visited in early August for 3 days and will return. It is a bit pricy, but given the season, location and lovely facilities, it’s clearly worth it.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled solo
2  Thank ChuckNYC
Reviewed 20 August 2010

Its now a tradition that every spring, before the 4th of July madness, we stay at Hither House. The beach is empty, we let our little pekignese run free, theres barely a soul in sight. The weather is beautiful & the cottage is adorable. It feels like coming home. Its a great way to spend a night or two with the ones you love.

Stayed: May 2010, travelled with family