Hither House Cottages
Ocean Surf Resort(Montauk)(Great Value!)
US$176
Hotels.com
Hero Beach Club(Montauk)(Great Value!)
US$236
US$186
Surf Club Resort(Montauk)(Great Value!)
US$200
US$149
Kenny's Tipperary Inn(Montauk)(Great Value!)
US$127
US$122
Hotels.com
Montauk Yacht Club Resort & Marina(Montauk)(Great Value!)
US$179
US$166
Montauk Blue Hotel(Montauk)(Great Value!)
US$177
Daunt's Albatross Motel(Montauk)(Great Value!)
US$121
Beach Plum Resort(Montauk)(Great Value!)
US$155
Orbitz.com
Beachcomber Resort At Montauk(Montauk)(Great Value!)
US$194
US$174
Travelocity
Montauk Manor(Montauk)(Great Value!)
US$139
All reviewsscreened in porchnorth cottageliving roompleasant stayshort drivegreat place to stayhome away from homelounge chairsfeliciabeachweekendtowngrillsummer
FilterAll languages
Ansonia, CT
Reviewed 23 November 2004

We will be staying at the Hither House next summer and thought we would check it out this past weekend after reading the other reviews. Well, I am so glad we did. The manager was so friendly and accomodating. She showed us the apt. we will be staying in and we found it to be darling! She told us the beach was a short walk and and it was!! Only 10 minutes!! We were very happy with everything we saw. I think it is a matter of prespective. Some people there is no pleasing them. Some of the other feedbacks should try some other places in Montauk that are simply terrible. We have stayed in all of them in Montauk and have been going out there for twenty years. We can't wait to stay at the Hither House and know we will enjoy our stay.

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
New Milford, Connecticut
Reviewed 2 November 2004

This place is terrible. It is furnished with tag sale remnants, including the mattress. The bedding is disgusting, the towels are no better than rags, and the couch was so soiled we did not sit on it. The fire wood for the wood stove is not furnished, you must buy it from the office. Although we had booked a 2 night stay, after the 1st night, we left as early as we could in the morning. In addition to the physical problems of the property, the owner/manager is very, very rude. All in all, one of the worst hotel experiences we have ever had.

8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Bridgewater, CT
Reviewed 1 November 2004

My wife and I found the Hither House on the internet when we were looking for pet friendly accomodations in Montauk. Although the rates were higher than other Inns, the website photos depicted nice rooms that were close to the beach, so we called and reserved a "cottage" for two nights. We arrived to find a location that is far from the ocean, far from Town, and far from the website photos. The "cottage" was actually one of four small units in a what appeared to be a 60's vintage ranch house. Old brown industrial carpet, old scratched and dusty wood paneling, furniture that was cheap, damaged, and dirty. The bathroom was so small you could not open the door without hitting the toilet, and the tile floor was dirty. The towels were thin, worn, and made us wish we had stayed home. The bed was hard, and after my wife found strange hairs on the sheets she began looking for another place to stay. Since it was dark and raining, we decided to rough it for the night and leave in the morning. After sleeping on the couch covered by a sheet we had brought for our dog, I checked out first thing in the morning. The female owner asked why we were leaving one day early. Trying to be polite, I said that we had a change of plans. That is when the owner informed me of her otherwise unpublished and previsouly undisclosed policy that made me realize that many people before us had reached the same conclusion that this is a terrible place to stay, "no refunds for early checkout" she said. Despite the fact that it was off season, and despite the fact that there many open rooms, the female owner refused to waive this ridiculous policy. When I explained that we were not satisfied with the room she became argumentative and nasty. When I told her that we found stange hairs on the sheets she said that hair can fall out of anyone's head at anytime and that finding some on the sheets was no reason to be concerned. She then said that for all she knew, the hairs had come from our dog. Our dog is a yellow labrador, and the hairs on the sheets were long, stringy and black. I did not share this fact with her as we left. Instead, I called our credit card company to protest the entire charge. Down the road we found an ocean front room that was pet friendly, clean, and half the price. With expensive rates and horrible accomodations, I could not understand how this place could stay in business. Then it occurred to me, the owner intially mentioned to me when I first called that many people find them on the internet. Based on the difference between their website and the actual rooms, and based on an unpublished and undisclosed policy of no refunds for early departures, I can only conclude that the owners have intentionally created an unfair and deceptive trap to exploit innocent travelers who gladly pay the money just to get out of there.

• Stayed: October 2004
14  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
ny,ny
Reviewed 7 September 2004

we just returned from a 3 day stay at hither house.please note that their web site does not at all show what your room will look like.apparently they have displayed the best room and lead you to belive that this is what all the rooms look like.our cottage looked terrible.old bad colors and a horrible musty odor.the mangagemnt was down right nasty.we had freinds stop by to see us and they were forced to leave.we were told they had a no quest policy and no none was allowed to be with us other than registered guest.this is absurd! in short find another place to stay. there are many.

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Commack, New York
Reviewed 7 September 2004

Hither House is horrible!! The rooms are not at all what they show online. Dont be fooled like I was. We paid 1300 dollars and it was gross.They have nerve to charge that much!! The shower has 5ft. celings, the beds are so uncomfortable and the walls have spider webs.And you are not allowed vistors, not even for 5 min. So if you have friends at another hotel, they can not come there to say hello! They are not allowed on the property!!The people that own that place are mean, unprofessinal and rude!I have stayed at many hotels and never been treated so bad in my life.
YES, it was great to have my dog there, BUT I will never stay there again. They say they have many returning guests. Who ever stays there is out of there mind.Dont go, its a waste of money and soo far from the ocean, you cant even see it.Put it this way, I would not even let me dog sit on the couches!! Thats how dirty they were. They need to buy new beds/furniture, learn how to decorate, get a maid and most of all new owners for me to ever step foot in their door again!! By far one of the worst places in Montauk. My next visit will be in Oct. 2004, and it will not be at the hither house!!

6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member