“Great private place to get away from the City”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Montauk
Hither House Cottages
New York, New York
Reviewed 16 February 2005

I spend the weekend at Hither House and I just got back 3 days ago. It was great to be there. I enjoyed so much my private time there. It really helped me release my stress. The Cottage was so cozy and warm, I can't believe how nice and clean everything is. The staff was so helpful and friendly, they provided all the questions that I had. Plus they are so close to the beaches and town. I really enjoyed my time spend there; I would definetely recommend this beautiful place to everyone. I am going back next month to get away from the city and I can't wait to be there.

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Reviewed 9 February 2005

Montauk, 'off-season' is brilliant! My wife and I were in NYC for a couple of weeks visiting family and were recommended Hither House for a quite retreat near the ocean as we had not had much time alone for ages. We found our cottage to be a really nice with a kitchen and a nice size living room with a wood fire. It's a family own place and we could tell that they had worked at keeping the place charming and low key. It is literally a five minute walk to the beach and the town is a three minute drive unless you want to take a scenic route down the Old Montauk Road to get there - a 15 minute walk. We looked at a few of the other cottages on the premise and each vary in size, the number of people they accomodate and price - researching for a future trip to bring our friends for some fishing. All in all we were very pleased. Don't take much notice of the very few reviewers who gave it a low rating (which had initially nearly held us back from staying there) they were probably expecting a place with more of a hotel look and feel - this place has many aminities and it feels like you are living in your own quite little cottage close to a lot of nature!

5  Thank ukfoodreviews2017
Nassau County, New York
Reviewed 2 February 2005

Our family was looking forward to our stay in Montauk ...but when we arrived at Hither House it was a RUDE awakening! The woman who identified herself as the owner started screaming when we mentioned that our room was dirty. No customer service skills at all. Her son was twice as bad. The brochure and website are not representative of what you find at Hither House. Please...stay away, this is the WORST of what beautiful Montauk has to offer.

9  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Alma, CO
Reviewed 16 December 2004

I wish I had read these other reviews before staying here! The Hither House experience was absolutely horrible. My sister and I spent all of our summers in Montauk as children and this was our first trip back in many years with our husbands & children. We were so looking forward to our trip. We rented what we were told was a two bedroom; in actuality, it was a one bedroom with another bed in the living room! The furniture, sheets, blankets and towels were dirty and worn out. The kitchen was too filthy to cook in. The floors were dirty and the furniture was in disrepair. We paid for seven nights and left after one. The manager was incredibly rude to us and refused to refund our money. We are currently in the process of trying to fight for our money through our credit card. Sadly, but not surprisingly, the response to our credit card company, from the Hither House was full of untruths, such as saying that we were letting our children run around unsupervised, and that we had more people in our unit than we had contracted for, and that we left the place a mess. When we were looking for another place to stay, every hotel & motel manager we spoke to said "Why on earth were you staying at the hither house?!" I encourage everyone who has stayed here, to take any legal action appropriate against the Hither House. Maybe we can prevent others from having the same, horrible experience!

12  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Ansonia, CT
Reviewed 23 November 2004

We will be staying at the Hither House next summer and thought we would check it out this past weekend after reading the other reviews. Well, I am so glad we did. The manager was so friendly and accomodating. She showed us the apt. we will be staying in and we found it to be darling! She told us the beach was a short walk and and it was!! Only 10 minutes!! We were very happy with everything we saw. I think it is a matter of prespective. Some people there is no pleasing them. Some of the other feedbacks should try some other places in Montauk that are simply terrible. We have stayed in all of them in Montauk and have been going out there for twenty years. We can't wait to stay at the Hither House and know we will enjoy our stay.

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
New Milford, Connecticut
Reviewed 2 November 2004

This place is terrible. It is furnished with tag sale remnants, including the mattress. The bedding is disgusting, the towels are no better than rags, and the couch was so soiled we did not sit on it. The fire wood for the wood stove is not furnished, you must buy it from the office. Although we had booked a 2 night stay, after the 1st night, we left as early as we could in the morning. In addition to the physical problems of the property, the owner/manager is very, very rude. All in all, one of the worst hotel experiences we have ever had.

8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Bridgewater, CT
Reviewed 1 November 2004

My wife and I found the Hither House on the internet when we were looking for pet friendly accomodations in Montauk. Although the rates were higher than other Inns, the website photos depicted nice rooms that were close to the beach, so we called and reserved a "cottage" for two nights. We arrived to find a location that is far from the ocean, far from Town, and far from the website photos. The "cottage" was actually one of four small units in a what appeared to be a 60's vintage ranch house. Old brown industrial carpet, old scratched and dusty wood paneling, furniture that was cheap, damaged, and dirty. The bathroom was so small you could not open the door without hitting the toilet, and the tile floor was dirty. The towels were thin, worn, and made us wish we had stayed home. The bed was hard, and after my wife found strange hairs on the sheets she began looking for another place to stay. Since it was dark and raining, we decided to rough it for the night and leave in the morning. After sleeping on the couch covered by a sheet we had brought for our dog, I checked out first thing in the morning. The female owner asked why we were leaving one day early. Trying to be polite, I said that we had a change of plans. That is when the owner informed me of her otherwise unpublished and previsouly undisclosed policy that made me realize that many people before us had reached the same conclusion that this is a terrible place to stay, "no refunds for early checkout" she said. Despite the fact that it was off season, and despite the fact that there many open rooms, the female owner refused to waive this ridiculous policy. When I explained that we were not satisfied with the room she became argumentative and nasty. When I told her that we found stange hairs on the sheets she said that hair can fall out of anyone's head at anytime and that finding some on the sheets was no reason to be concerned. She then said that for all she knew, the hairs had come from our dog. Our dog is a yellow labrador, and the hairs on the sheets were long, stringy and black. I did not share this fact with her as we left. Instead, I called our credit card company to protest the entire charge. Down the road we found an ocean front room that was pet friendly, clean, and half the price. With expensive rates and horrible accomodations, I could not understand how this place could stay in business. Then it occurred to me, the owner intially mentioned to me when I first called that many people find them on the internet. Based on the difference between their website and the actual rooms, and based on an unpublished and undisclosed policy of no refunds for early departures, I can only conclude that the owners have intentionally created an unfair and deceptive trap to exploit innocent travelers who gladly pay the money just to get out of there.

• Stayed: October 2004